I've researched my problem on other posts, and still not completely sure if my problem is unique or not.

I have an unlocked Sprint 9630 I grabbed from our IT department before a trip to Turkey. It was supposedly deactivated - turns out it is still active on a Sprint number.

I've replaced the Sprint SIM with an Avea Turkish prepaid SIM that has data and Blackberry capability. It works fine for phone and text, but no ability to register the email with Avea Blackberry. Tech support there unable to determine the problem (unable to connect to server is the error message, both with phone and online).

If I can deactive the Sprint number will that help? Or am I just out of luck.

Thanks for your help.
    05-30-10 05:07 PM
    From the home screen, try:
    Options
    Mobile network:
    Data Services=>on
    While Roaming=>On

then fool with the settings for Mobile Network:
    Network Selection Mode=>Manual
    Network Technology->'as appropriate' for your purchased in-country SIM.

This worked for me in China. Good luck.
    05-31-10 04:03 AM
    When I travel overseas I normally use local sim for voice + text and Sprint for data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 02:05 PM
    From the home screen, try:
    Options
    Mobile network:
    Data Services=>on
    While Roaming=>On

then fool with the settings for Mobile Network:
    Network Selection Mode=>Manual
    Network Technology->'as appropriate' for your purchased in-country SIM.

This worked for me in China. Good luck.
    Darn, I really thought this was a great idea ... but, alas, it didn't work. In fact, I also decided to put the Sprint SIM back in. It also didn't work with data. Maybe it's a bigger problem.
    05-31-10 04:26 PM
    When I travel overseas I normally use local sim for voice + text and Sprint for data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Help me understand this. If you're using a local SIM for voice, do you put your Sprint SIM back in to use data? I was hoping for a more seamless solution, similar to the total ease I used to have slipping a new SIM into my Treo 650.

Nonetheless, I did try this but it also didn't work with data with the Sprint SIM card in either.
    05-31-10 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD