I have a Tour that's about a year old. A couple months ago it began spontaneously restarting itself at random. I've isolated the problem to setting it down, which sort of makes sense, except that there have been numerous times when I've dropped the phone and watched it bounce around and even slide face-down under my car -- without restarting!!!

When it restarts it's either just sitting there in a cradle while I'm driving (car vibrations making it restart?) or just after I've set it down on my desk or even my couch or mattress. I can't believe the act of letting the phone fall from about one inch above a mattress will make it restart, but it often does.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    07-28-10 10:59 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.
    What all have you tried in order to fix this? Do you think its a software or hardware issue? Perhaps your are still in warranty (if you are within 1 year since purchase) and would be eligible for a free replacement. I would call into your carrier.
    07-28-10 11:07 AM
    I bet the battery is loose inside the device...
    07-28-10 11:14 AM
    I think SevereDeceit has identified the most likely cause of the problem. You could try putting a few sheets of heavy paper inside the back door, to increase pressure on the battery. Experiment to see how many it takes to immobilize the battery, then glue them inside the back door.
    07-28-10 11:28 AM
    You could also try folding a business card in half and putting it inside the battery door.
    07-28-10 11:34 AM
    I had this same problem not a week ago. All I did was put a piece of cardboard over the connector "pins" on the battery and then replaced the battery cover.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 09:57 PM
    I had this same problem not a week ago. All I did was put a piece of cardboard over the connector "pins" on the battery and then replaced the battery cover.
    Huh? Over the pins?
    07-28-10 10:25 PM
    My unit had spontaneous reboot problems. Sent it in, they repaired it and works fine every since. It drove me crazy, it would reboot even sitting there. GRRRRRR
    07-30-10 10:06 AM
    This happened to me a while ago. Any bump in the road, reboot. Set in charging cradle, reboot. Tap the bottom of the phone, reboot. Set on desk, reboot. Took it in to the store and showed them, had a new one shipped out, problem solved. If your phone is still under warranty, take it in.
    07-30-10 02:18 PM
    Has anyone else figured out how to solve this problem? My phone is doing hte exact same thing but it is not under warranty
    ellasyn likes this.
    02-15-11 04:50 PM
    I was able to fix mine by folding a post-it and placing it on the battery cover. I also placed a business card on the top of the battery. So far my Tour has behaved (knocking on wood)
    02-15-11 05:58 PM
    I'm not sure it's my battery, because it doesn't seem to budge.
    Phone is just out of the warranty, by a few weeks and i'm getting this problem now...

Anyone have any other ideas on what I could do?
    People have suggested wiping the whole system, but to be honest I have no idea how to do that (without completely breaking the phone). I've read "FL_command" or something like that, what is that?
    06-27-11 08:23 AM
    I'm not sure it's my battery, because it doesn't seem to budge.
    Phone is just out of the warranty, by a few weeks and i'm getting this problem now...

Anyone have any other ideas on what I could do?
    People have suggested wiping the whole system, but to be honest I have no idea how to do that (without completely breaking the phone). I've read "FL_command" or something like that, what is that?
    Wiping your system won't help if the problem is induced by mechanical shock. That's a physical, hardware issue that can't be solved by adding, removing, or reloading software. The battery doesn't have to be grossly loose to the touch to have the problem. Try shimming it anyway to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you can try backing up and wiping your system.
    06-27-11 09:23 AM
    I had this same problem... I couldnt even put it in my pocket without it reseting... What i did was clean the pins on my battery and on my phone with a cotton swab (old school nintendo) and it stop.
    06-28-11 07:12 PM
    I took mine to my cell phone provider yesterday, and upon examining everything, the guy determined it was the battery. Makes sense, since it lost its charge very quickly, and after resetting itself the battery was always drained. He said that if you sit your battery flat on a table and are able to spin it, it's bad and you need a new one. Good batteries don't spin, according to him. Of course, mine was out of warranty so I had to buy a new one. But it seems to have fixed the problem so far. Batteries Plus carried my battery, since Sprint was fresh out (which makes me think it's a pretty common problem). Hope this helps.
    10-25-11 01:02 PM
    Folks, I'm having the same problem. Some days it happens multiple times. Jowee can you confirm you haven't had the problem since getting the new battery? Anyone else have a different solution? Thanks
    11-13-11 10:17 AM
    I'm getting this a LOT too. I don't get it. It happens when I'm doing a lot of stuff on the phone. Usually deleting phone history or moving photos to one folder from another. I don't notice it doing it because of anything physical.
    11-20-11 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD