I switched over from an 8900 on T-mobile to a 9630 on Verizon and I'm very disappointed with the sound quality and clarity while in a call. I remember when I first got the 8900 after upgrading from a 8100 on T-mobile and I was amazed at the upgrade in quality/clarity.

I figured that it might take a few days for things to clear up with the new 9630 on Verizon, but I'm still not impressed with the sound quality. Even my personalized voicemail playback sounds choppy. Anyone else experiencing these same issues? Am I being too picky? Any suggestions?

FWIW - I'm at 1XEV w/ 4 bars. If there's any other technical info needed, lmk.

TIA,
    -Z
    07-14-09 02:45 AM
    You could take it back and see if a new one sounds better.
    07-14-09 02:47 AM
    I realize that I could do that, but just wondering if others might be experiencing similar issues. I just don't know if it's Verizon or the new 9630. Anyone else experiencing decreased sound quality?
    07-14-09 04:05 AM
    At first the sound quality sounds low with a hissing background noise but after more usage and a couple of complete charging, the sound will become clearer and louder. This is not an issue with the phone but how the phone starts off. This case is similar to the HTC phones.
    Last edited by thymaster; 07-14-09 at 05:10 AM.
    07-14-09 05:05 AM
    At first the sound quality sounds low with a hissing background noise but after more usage and a couple of complete charging, the sound will become clearer and louder. This is not an issue with the phone but how the phone starts off. This case is similar to the HTC phones.
    I agree with this. At first my quality was crappy, but now its great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 05:26 AM
    Sounds good. I'll keep the phone for a few more days before making any decisions.

Thanks for the replies.
    07-14-09 11:20 AM
    Had this issue with the storm when it was released and thought it was the software. Well 8 months later and tons of OS leaks, the storm still has bad call quality. Its the new hardware that RIM is using. I went back to a curve and now have perfect sound clarity on both ends.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/to...eption-265159/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 12:11 PM
    I switched over from an 8900 on T-mobile to a 9630 on Verizon and I'm very disappointed with the sound quality and clarity while in a call. I remember when I first got the 8900 after upgrading from a 8100 on T-mobile and I was amazed at the upgrade in quality/clarity.

I figured that it might take a few days for things to clear up with the new 9630 on Verizon, but I'm still not impressed with the sound quality. Even my personalized voicemail playback sounds choppy. Anyone else experiencing these same issues? Am I being too picky? Any suggestions?

FWIW - I'm at 1XEV w/ 4 bars. If there's any other technical info needed, lmk.

TIA,
    -Z
    what did u end up doing? i have the same type of thing going on with my tour. not sure if it is worth the exchange considering all of the other problems out there. my only problem (at least as of now) is the buzzing from the earpiece during calls and when the screen is on.
    08-08-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD