my desktop update says there is a software update 5.0? what should i do is this beneficial
    07-31-09 11:21 PM
    Are you currently running Desktop Manager 5.0? Its the one that came on the CD with your Tour.

If you are, just do the update, nothing will happen, it's fine. Also, install the software for the device, listed at the top of this forum in a "Sticky" that way you can backup, and reload the device if necessary.

Post if you have any more questions or you can BBM me using the PIN by my name. I'll be happy to answer your questions.
    07-31-09 11:23 PM
    Are you currently running Desktop Manager 5.0? Its the one that came on the CD with your Tour.
    Actually OP is with TELUS, as I am too.

For whatever ridiculous reason, the TELUS package comes with 4.7, so yes upgrade to v5.0.

No discernible difference for me yet, but might as well have the newest!
    07-31-09 11:38 PM

For whatever ridiculous reason, the TELUS package comes with 4.7, so yes upgrade to v5.0.

Oh, my bad. Figured they all shipped with 5.0, sorry.

I believe to run the Tour properly, it's best to have Desktop Manager 5.0. Though it will work with 4.7, it's still better to upgrade to 5.0.
    07-31-09 11:41 PM

so this for the actual desktop manager and not the phone
    07-31-09 11:41 PM
    Yes.

If you're phone happened to come with OS 5.0 software, please do share!

(and I just remembered you're new and that may have confused you. OS 5.0 is the new operating system that should be coming out for the phones sometime soon. the above comment was a bad attempt at a joke)
    07-31-09 11:42 PM
    so this for the actual desktop manager and not the phone
    Yes. You can download Desktop Manager 5.0 directly from the blackberry.com website. The OS that is on your phone should be 4.7.1.40, also downloadable from that website or from the sticky that is located at the top of the Tour forum main page.

I'd download and install both of them. Just uninstall the Desktop Manager 4.7 that you have already installed.
    07-31-09 11:44 PM
    thanks for your help dont worry ill have more rookie questions soon
    07-31-09 11:50 PM
    No problem. We're all here to help.
    07-31-09 11:51 PM
    what are the benefits of using desktop manager?
    08-01-09 12:06 AM
    what are the benefits of using desktop manager?
    This has been covered before. But...

Desktop Manager allows you to back up your phone to a computer and files so that if you have issues and have to wipe and reload your phone, you can restore all your phone numbers, calendar entries, downloaded programs, themes, etc. This is also what you need to use in order to wipe and reload your phone, the novice way though.
    08-01-09 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD