Hey guys-

I'm a new Blackberry user, coming from 5 years of Palm OS devices (last one was the 700P), and a brief stint with the Pre, which after 3 weeks of trying to live with the keyboard had to ditch (great OS though).

Anyway, couple things:

1. Is there anything that actively syncs yahoo and/or gmail? Currently I have a yahoo, gmail, and work email that will be migrated soon to BES server (I'm working on getting it setup at my company) but currently it's just POP mail. I had an e-mail client for my Palm 700P that would actively sync e-mail (not pushed, just every 5-10 min or so) to keep your box sync'd.

2. Facebook is doing the same thing with syncing telling me I have a 100 items waiting, but I went and cleared them and it doesn't actively update.

3. I've spoken to a few people with blackberry's and maybe this is just how it is, but I get a call and my "messages" icon and "text" icon both light up. It seems the "text" icon isn't really just text but it lights up for various things like voicemail. Is there anyway to just have it do text duty? Also is the only way to access your call history to press the green call button?

I guess I'm just used to having everything separate (e-mail, texting, call history, etc). Otherwise I love the phone, just a lot to set up and learn. I have to say I didn't think I'd like the trackball and I'd be giving up a lot compared to a touch screen phone, but I think it rocks now that I'm getting used to it.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated

-A
    07-28-09 11:55 AM
    hey, I don't have any answers to your questions, but just wanted to comment on your situation.
    I too just left Palm after 5 years and 28 days with the POS pre. Great OS and lots of promises and nothing else.
    Good luck with the BlackBerry, I have been adjusting for 3 days and love it so far. I just wish I could figure out all the different sounds that don't seem to correlate to what the screen is telling me. lots of stuff to learn.
    07-28-09 12:03 PM
    What exactly was so bad about the Pre for you guys? Was the keyboard really that bad? I'm curious because for my personal line I may consider the Pre as a stopgap until VZW gets the iPhone...

Hey guys-

I'm a new Blackberry user, coming from 5 years of Palm OS devices (last one was the 700P), and a brief stint with the Pre, which after 3 weeks of trying to live with the keyboard had to ditch (great OS though).

Anyway, couple things:

1. Is there anything that actively syncs yahoo and/or gmail? Currently I have a yahoo, gmail, and work email that will be migrated soon to BES server (I'm working on getting it setup at my company) but currently it's just POP mail. I had an e-mail client for my Palm 700P that would actively sync e-mail (not pushed, just every 5-10 min or so) to keep your box sync'd.

2. Facebook is doing the same thing with syncing telling me I have a 100 items waiting, but I went and cleared them and it doesn't actively update.

3. I've spoken to a few people with blackberry's and maybe this is just how it is, but I get a call and my "messages" icon and "text" icon both light up. It seems the "text" icon isn't really just text but it lights up for various things like voicemail. Is there anyway to just have it do text duty? Also is the only way to access your call history to press the green call button?

I guess I'm just used to having everything separate (e-mail, texting, call history, etc). Otherwise I love the phone, just a lot to set up and learn. I have to say I didn't think I'd like the trackball and I'd be giving up a lot compared to a touch screen phone, but I think it rocks now that I'm getting used to it.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated

-A
    1. I'm not quite sure what you're asking regarding syncing. You can configure accounts for Yahoo, Gmail etc on your blackberry using the email setup application on your BlackBerry itself or visiting the BlackBerry Internet Service site for your carrier. I had a Yahoo account set on my BlackBerry and a Work account both are just POP3 based, I've setup a secondary yahoo account that wasn't POP3 based (i.e. doesn't have the Yahoo MailPlus option purchased) and that works fine too.

2. Facebook updates are pulled from the email address your Facebook account is tied to. I.e. my Facebook account is set to my primary yahoo account and all the Facebook messages are received when the Facebook notification message goes to my yahoo email account. The Facebook app on the BlackBerry basically intercepts the message and pulls it into the Facebook App.

3. I'm not sure exactly whats happening here, I couldn't replicate what was happening to your inboxes. A missed call will appear in the Messages list. SMS and MMS will appear in their own unless you set it to appear in the messages inbox (which I have) You can change this setting if you goto the messages list and hit the BBerry menu button and go to options->General Options->SMS and Email inboxes:

When I hit the Green "send" button I get a call history, what happens when you hit it?
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 07-28-09 at 01:14 PM.
    07-28-09 01:02 PM
    Separate the sms mms from messages in options.
    Turn off call logs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 01:07 PM
    I use the Gmail App, and it syncs everything perfectly. Also, you may want to do a search on Gmail and IMAP (lots of good stuff on the subject).

When I set up Yahoo! through the Email Settings icon, everything seems to sync fine.
    07-28-09 01:07 PM
    What exactly was so bad about the Pre for you guys? Was the keyboard really that bad? I'm curious because for my personal line I may consider the Pre as a stopgap until VZW gets the iPhone...
    hmm...where to begin with my issues with the pre. The slider is not constructed well at all. This was not the deal breaker. Lack of apps? not a deal breaker because I understand what you get with a roll out. My deal breaker was the fact that the phone had the absolute worst internal antenna I have ever experienced. The signal would jump constantly from no service to 3 to nothing. I enabled it as a wifi device and could not get internet service 8 feet from my wireless router. I couldn't use the phone in my house, at work, at different restaurants, etc. I missed more calls than I got and dropped even more than that. It got embarassing to use it. Sprint told me to get an airave. Palm told me they were unaware of the problem. All diagnostics run at the store came back fine.
    In my opinion, palm you knowed themselves with this phone. The OS is amazing and the web when working was actually fun on the phone. Great in theory, horrible in reality.
    07-28-09 01:23 PM
    hmm...where to begin with my issues with the pre. The slider is not constructed well at all. This was not the deal breaker. Lack of apps? not a deal breaker because I understand what you get with a roll out. My deal breaker was the fact that the phone had the absolute worst internal antenna I have ever experienced. The signal would jump constantly from no service to 3 to nothing. I enabled it as a wifi device and could not get internet service 8 feet from my wireless router. I couldn't use the phone in my house, at work, at different restaurants, etc. I missed more calls than I got and dropped even more than that. It got embarassing to use it. Sprint told me to get an airave. Palm told me they were unaware of the problem. All diagnostics run at the store came back fine.
    In my opinion, palm you knowed themselves with this phone. The OS is amazing and the web when working was actually fun on the phone. Great in theory, horrible in reality.
    They never offered you a replacement? (apologies to OP for semi-hijack here LOL)
    07-28-09 01:47 PM
    How exactly do you do that? What option do you do this in?

Regarding what is going on, right now my yahoo account on the blackberry does not match what's on the server. It doesn't actively go out and sync.

Facebook is the same way. I went online and went through all my new items, but the blackberry didn't acknowledge this and still thinks there are x amount of new items to go through.

@gimpyviper: The pre is a nice phone, but for me the keyboard was the deal breaker. I made some adjustments to get the charging situation decent and I have to say the touchstone charger is the bomb, all phones should have this, but that keyboard in daily use was just atrocious.

On that note, I have to say so far I'm not feeling this keyboard as much as my old Palm 700P. I've played around on blackberry's with the more separate keys like the old 8800's but the new keyboards with the left and right beveled style keyboards, I don't know, maybe I need to just get used to it more but I can't "jam" like I can when the keys are spaced a bit.

Separate the sms mms from messages in options.
    Turn off call logs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD