I just turned in my 9630 for the third time since Nov.21 of 2009. Thats 3 times in 2 months that I have gotten the "download software 552". So, now I'm waiting for UPS to bring me my fourth BB Tour. What the bleep is going on? Is it the Tour or maybe some apps I've downloaded? I am on Verizon if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by burnteye86; 01-23-10 at 04:43 PM. Reason: I really don't know what the heck it means.
    01-23-10 04:29 PM
    It's a bug in the OS. Getting a replacement is pointless. It appears to be fixed in OS 5.0...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 04:44 PM
    The Reload Software 552 seems to be a re occurring issue with Tour owners on OS 4.7. Those that have loaded 5.0 haven't reported the problem.

Whatever app you downloaded did not *specifically* cause it. There's a bug in OS 9630/4.7 that causes apps to randomly install incorrectly.

You could have hooked your BlackBerry to Desktop Manager and removed the app that caused the error and everything would boot up like before the error. No reloading OS or restore required.

Here's a good explanation and tip:

Xopher 08:20 AM 12-16-2009 -- [Ed] [Reply] [!!]

According to RIM, it is an application index issue. The app is getting installed into the wrong memory space. From my experience, it isn't a memory error. It is more about the number of apps installed.

Run an app as soon as you install it, without rebooting if possible. If you get the error, delete the app immediately. If you get the 552 error on reboot, connect to your PC and use BBSAK to remove the app. You should be able to reboot without reloading the OS.

What makes me think this is a "number of apps" issue is you can delete an app, then insall a different one without getting the error. You can even delete an 18K app and install a 2MB app without getting the error, just as long as the number of applications doesn't increase over the (unknown) limit.

You can always upgrade to a leaked 5.0 OS. The indexing error doesn't seem to exist in 5.0. At least I have never had the error since bumping up to 5.0.
    i've had 2 Reload Software 552 Errors last week! One was after installing Google App. Even so, the Tour is a great phone and i have had no issues that would cause me to return it. i've since installed 4 apps with no issues. You just need to make sure they download correctly, run them right away (before a reboot), and if you get any errors or issues...DELETE the app BEFORE you reboot. Then you will not get the 552 error.

However, the last 552 Error i got (Weather Channel App) after i removed the app via DM, my phone rebooted and then continued in a cycle of reboots. It seems my OS got corrupt or erased. i had to follow the steps to recover a bricked (dead) BlackBerry, and it took me 6 hours to reload the OS, restore my device data and get my 3rd party apps back.

If that is the case, you will need to follow the procedure below to reload your OS:

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry
    or http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ho...2-tour-366756/

Once you've reloaded your OS, all your device data and 3rd party apps will be gone. But you'll have a working phone!

This is the reason i'm looking forward to an official 5.0 for the Tour. It's easy to fix the 552 error, though it is a pain for it to happen at all.
    01-23-10 04:44 PM
    LOL! No wonder why Verizon killed the multi-FRU policy...
    01-23-10 04:48 PM
    LOL! No wonder why Verizon killed the multi-FRU policy...
    Agreed! Lol. VZW shouldn't have replaced this so many times! Wouldn't they have known how to fix it?
    01-23-10 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD