I'm having terrible battery life on the tour. I got my battery replaced and its still dying way too quickly. I was told that the life would get better after a few charges. Is this another myth?

I only have the regular 5 apps + aim running. Moderate usage. And I'm still down to 70% within the first 3 hours of being off the charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I had the same thing. I call VZW and told them about my problem they were reluctant to send me other battery but they did. The battery still died fast. I turned the GPS to E911 and the battery had done very well I am at 72% full were I am normally at less than 50% at this point in the day so that is a big increase. Today is just day one with the GPS turned off so I will watch and post more findings.

On a other note lets hope when 5.0 is released it will allow you to toggle BT, cell and GPS by clicking on the signal strength icon!
    08-25-09 11:38 AM
    Also remember that charging via usb or car cable will take longer compared to a wall charger.

08-25-09 11:52 AM
    Home chargers have been this way for a while. Just dont do this with a car charger though
    I want to purchase a car charger for my tour. The ones I'm looking at are not original bb ones. The dude at the phone store is showing me 2 chargers. One for 10 bucks and the one for 15 bucks. He told me the one for 15 bucks has a chip in like my home charger to not overcharge my battery. He's saying the 10 one doesn't. Now money is not an the issue. I would like to know if he's talking BS or he's right? Secondly I was told by a Telus rep that it's not the chargers that shut off charging when the battery is full. It's the battery that does this once it's full. Which direction should I go in here? What's true?
    Last edited by TelusBB; 12-13-09 at 01:08 PM.
    12-13-09 01:04 PM
    I want to purchase a car charger for my tour. The ones I'm looking at are not original bb ones. The dude at the phone store is showing me 2 chargers.
    There are two types of car chargers. One type charges your phone's battery at a regular rate, and another one tries to "super" charge your phone's battery at a faster rate. The latter type will mess up your phone's battery. In other words, get a phone charger that charges your phone at the regular rate. (I guess they make quick chargers because they figure you'd want to cram in as much power into the phone during short drives.)
    12-13-09 03:32 PM
    Sense we are on the topic of Li-Ion batteries, I have always heard you do not have to condition them and they don't keep a memory and so forth. Well, in reference to Laptop batteries, I just replaced a Li-Ion laptop battery out of my dell that wouldn't last more than 20 mins? How do we explain this.....?
    Well, there are a couple of things. cells in the battery do die over time, and there does seem to be a max number of times a battery can be charged (my Moto v710 battery would only ever get 8 months, my bb has never had to be replaced).

But my Toshiba laptop? Believe it or not, Toshiba has a procedure to re-season the battery, and it works like a hot damn! You can find it (took me some looking - again!) here.

I don't claim to be an expert. Ijust know that the Blackberry batteries are fantastic compared to other recent cell phones I've owned.
    12-13-09 04:47 PM
    I want to purchase a car charger for my tour. The ones I'm looking at are not original bb ones. The dude at the phone store is showing me 2 chargers. One for 10 bucks and the one for 15 bucks. He told me the one for 15 bucks has a chip in like my home charger to not overcharge my battery. He's saying the 10 one doesn't. Now money is not an the issue. I would like to know if he's talking BS or he's right? Secondly I was told by a Telus rep that it's not the chargers that shut off charging when the battery is full. It's the battery that does this once it's full. Which direction should I go in here? What's true?
    The circuitry in the BlackBerry will stop the charging. I have used car charger hooked to my BlackBerry for extended periods for a year now without detrimental effect.

12-13-09 05:36 PM
    If either your device, or your charger is hot in the morning...then it's your outlet.
    Hmm,,, Please explain this one. The blackberry charger is NOT polarized so how would the outlet make the phone hot?
    12-13-09 09:08 PM
    My phone charges from dead to full and berrybuzz alerts me to a full charge. When I unplug the 9630 it is not warm/hot. However, if I let it charge overnight,,, ignoring the full charge alert,,the phone is warm/almost hot when I unplug it.

It is completely possible to overcharge any batt if the circuitry that tells it to stop charging is not working properly..This is true with cell phones, laptops, cordless tools. etc. And because of this I no longer let it go overnight anymore...

And as for fast chargers, They charge at a higher rate for a predefined amount of time and then are supposed to shut off or do a trickle charge. I have fast charger for my cordless tools and the batts get super warm/hot. Imo,,, using regular charger seems to preserve the estimated life of the batt over fast charging.

And somewhere in this thread it was said usb charging takes longer. I wonder if it would take the same amount of time using the new usb wall sockets expected to hit the shelves next year.

12-13-09 09:10 PM
    The circuitry in the BlackBerry will stop the charging. I have used car charger hooked to my BlackBerry for extended periods for a year now without detrimental effect.

I can attest to this. I have charged my blackberrys for years in the same manner with no detrimental effect on the batteries. They are always plugged into my car charger 11 hours a day, 6 days a week. I do this using BBLight so I can always see my signal strength and time as it is attached to my dash. I then unplug it and run it all night with the alarm set to wake me up. In the morning it is at 80% with GPS, Radio and Bluetooth on.

12-13-09 09:16 PM
    oh wow i feel like an ***** i only asked because i had issues with other phones in the past dealing with the battery and verizon always told me that i had to make sure not to overcharge the battery
    Sales rep dont always say the truth! Ask me, I work for. Telus(kidding )

12-13-09 09:16 PM
    Dont worry, you won't dommage your battery if you "overcharge" it...

12-13-09 09:18 PM
    Hmm,,, Please explain this one. The blackberry charger is NOT polarized so how would the outlet make the phone hot?
    I would also like to hear an explanation on that...
    12-13-09 09:25 PM
    Dont worry, you won't dommage your battery if you "overcharge" it...

Are you sure about that? Can you provide documentation that states overcharging will not hurt a battery? Before you make a statement like that please understand and have some knowledge of what you are talking about because your statement "Dont worry, you won't dommage your battery if you "overcharge" it" is not true......

The battery is designed not to overcharge, but if the chip that prevents overcharging should fail, it will damage more than just the battery and could possible start a fire. Nothing in life is 100% . I will never use a battery or charger that is not approved by my equipment manufacturer for the equipment I am using.

A new Lithium-ion battery will benefit from an initial "conditioning" of the battery. For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery overnight and allow it to fully discharge before recharging. Once conditioned, Lithium-ion batteries will perform best when charged at a rate somewhere between a conventional slow charge and a rapid charge. When rapid charging, Lithium-ion batteries require a charger designed to charge Lithium batteries. To achieve a true full charge when rapid charging, the battery needs to be slow charged the last 10-15% of its charge cycle. Most "intelligent" desktop and Lithium-battery rapid chargers provide this capability. A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours).

2 videos of forced overcharging of lithium batts. kinda scary

Lithium Ion Ionen battery overcharge & explosion

Articles explaining that overcharging will damage a battery.

Charging lithium-ion batteries

Will overcharging my battery hurt it ?

Lithium Ion Charging

Here is a guy that was told by Verizon that he overcharged his battery The people that dispute this assume that the chip will never fail because they have not had a problem.

And lmao here is a Verizon employee asking a cell phone forum if over charging is possible.

And this poor guy died when his lithium battery exploded in his cell phone
    Man killed by 'exploding mobile phone'

And here's yet another story of a boy injured from an exploding cell phone.
    Last edited by dave3825us; 12-14-09 at 08:51 AM.
    12-14-09 12:34 AM
    Also remember that charging via usb or car cable will take longer compared to a wall charger.

So true...... I left my charger at my in-laws over Thanksgiving, and I had to use my usb and car charger while I waited the four days it took for them to get it in the mail, and boy was I an unhappy camper
    12-14-09 10:44 AM
    sweet, I had no idea
    12-14-09 11:53 AM
    False. Most of the "information" from people in this thread is untrue. Firstly, "super" chargers don't charge faster and then trickle charge, you can't trickle charge a lithium based battery. They charge in whats called a cc/cv mode which is constant current, constant voltage. What happens is that they charge at 1 c of what ever the battery is which is about 1.4 amps, while holding the voltage capacity of the battery to 4.2 volts with a .05 tolerance.

Secondly, how can the cells in a lithium battery die when the battery is used for a cell phone? Really baffles me when people say this because it is a 3.7 volt, SINGLE cell lithium battery. I race electric r/c cars(yes I know I'm a huge dork) and we use single as well as double cell batteries. The two cell batteries are 7.4v (3.7vx2).

Third, you can over charge a battery if the charging circuitry in your phone quits. This one is true, and yes if you over charge a lithium battery you'll hear a loud hissing sound followed by a pop and then a 6 foot tall flame on your night stand.

I'm not trying to "troll" on here or whatever it's called, I just think that people should be informed about batteries. The reason your car charge may charge slow, is that somewhere in your vehicle the wiring from the battery and charging system to your "cigarette lighter" has a high resistance. I know personally in my work van it takes 20 minutes longer to charge my phone than it does in my personal car. Also my personal car takes almost to the minute the same amount of time to charge as my "travel/home" charger.

If you have any questions about batteries, post and I'd be happy to answer them. Also the reason your power tools get hot while on those big chargers is that the charger itself is actually creating the heat on it's metal surfaces inside and being transfered to your battery. You just can't tell it because of the plastic housing that surrounds the actual charger. Lithium based batteries actually cool down initially when being charged by about a degree or two.
    12-14-09 05:16 PM
    False. Most of the "information" from people in this thread is untrue. Firstly, "super" chargers don't charge faster and then trickle charge,
    If your referring to my posts , some fast/rapid chargers do charge at a faster rate and then go to a trickle charge,, unless I am reading this wrong. And I did not state this was for cellphones or lithium.

IC timer controlled "fast" battery chargers charge rapidly for a fixed period and then automatically switch to trickle charge mode. They charge in less than half the time of manual chargers, and you don't have to worry about unplugging them. However, a timer controlled battery charger can't detect the initial state of your batteries - if they are already fully or partially charged it will still attempt to charge them for the full duration of its timer, so they are not suitable for top-up charging. Nevertheless, high quality IC timer controlled chargers incorporate sensors which cease fast charging if an overcharge state occurs (this is termed 'overcharge protection'). Source

you can't trickle charge a lithium based battery.
    Even tho I did not say one could, and have read you cant, I found this stating lithium can be trickle charged.

Trickle Charging Lithium Batteries with the
    ISL1208 and ISL1209 RTC Devices

5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger

Rapid Charger Kit for CRV3 Lithium Battery. It states charger states it goes to trickle charge after the batt is fully charged.

If you have any questions about batteries, post and I'd be happy to answer them. Also the reason your power tools get hot while on those big chargers is that the charger itself is actually creating the heat on its metal surfaces inside and being transferred to your battery. You just can't tell it because of the plastic housing that surrounds the actual charger. Lithium based batteries actually cool down initially when being charged by about a degree or two.
    My 18volt dewalt batteries got hot using a fast charger. I had a few packs with the plastic housing removed and did touch them during and after charging. Just for kicks, if I can find my laser temp thermometer,, I will see how many degrees it jumps while fast charging. But usually I end up making the cat run in circles for a while first lol

Rc cars? Tmaxx? Traxxis? What do you have?
    Last edited by dave3825us; 12-15-09 at 09:01 AM.
    12-14-09 11:25 PM
    BTW, can't I just use the usb cable that came with my tour...along with a usb car charger adapter to charge ny phone in the car? If so.. Then I don't have to buy a charger.

12-15-09 01:32 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD