An unlocked Tour can't operate on 3G GSM networks? If that's so, then the fact mine is unlocked does me no good. Well, not no good but far less good than I thought it would.
    09-06-09 04:27 PM
    It's got a good resale value at least
    09-06-09 04:36 PM
    The tour cannot use 3G but it can use EDGE on that network, although it requires a big work around to get data working on an unlocked phone.

You will still need the BB data plan from your carrier but then you have to put the service books from your carrier onto the phone via USB. then you must send your emails via carriers website as the set up email feature on the BB will not work because it takes you to the phones default website, so in the tours case verizons which you aren't on.

You also must change your APN to your carriers.

Your goal is to have EDGE display, if edge or gprs is displayed you will only be able to call & recieve calls, send and receive sms, & send & receive MMS but it will be slower that having EDGE.

EDGE=Data + Voice
    edge=Voice
    09-06-09 04:46 PM
    I wouldn't say your unlocked Tour does you no good. Now that it's unlocked you'll be able to connect to GSM networks outside the US. Planning on traveling internationally anytime soon?
    09-06-09 04:47 PM
    The tour cannot use 3G but it can use EDGE on that network, although it requires a big work around to get data working on an unlocked phone.
    Clarification: 1XEV is a 3G CDMA standard.
    09-06-09 04:50 PM
    Clarification: 1XEV is a 3G CDMA standard.
    I am talking about using 3G on the GSM network. Sorry for not clarifying.
    09-06-09 04:57 PM
    Oh, my bad...totally misunderstood you, brother!
    09-06-09 05:04 PM
    I know what 1XEV is. This isn't my first rodeo. And I don't plan on leaving the country anytime soon.

There isn't 3G GSM service where I live so that isn't a big deal. But there is some places I go to, like DFW and Oklahoma City. I don't want to jump through hoops to use GSM. It simply wouldn't be worth it to me.
    09-06-09 05:06 PM
    I know what 1XEV is. This isn't my first rodeo.
    I didn't assume it was your first rodeo. My clarification was meant for the poster that I quoted, not you. Sorry if you misunderstood - didn't mean to offend.
    09-06-09 05:12 PM
    No offense taken. It's just I thought it would be nice if I could operate on 3G GSM networks.
    09-06-09 05:22 PM
    Basically if you want a 3G BlackBerry, you'll have to purchase the 9000
    09-06-09 07:45 PM
    Why would I want an AT&T phone when I'm a Sprint customer?
    09-07-09 03:13 AM
    Just be happy you can even use EDGE!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 03:53 AM
    I don't even know what EDGE is or if there's an EDGE network where I live.
    09-07-09 03:58 AM
    Wait.

I have a Tour on Verizon.

Tour is unlocked because I thought I would switch out my sim chip when I travel overseas.

But I leave for Paris tomorrow and I am keeping my VZW service while I am there (international Blackberry plan). So if I understand correctly, I won't have any 3G service there? Just EDGE?

And if I didn't unlock my phone, would I have had 3G? Really confused now :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 02:05 PM
    I don't even know what EDGE is or if there's an EDGE network where I live.
    Here, Let me google that for you
    09-07-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD