You know, as you eat up memory running your Tour, at some point the phone starts running really slowly. For me that threshold has always been around 80MB. So I reboot, cleans out the memory, and its fine.

But there's 80MB left...that's well over a quarter of the total memory (256MB)...I can understand that it doesn't slow down when it hits 0, but 80MB? Anybody know why I can't run this puppy with no appreciable performance hit down below 60MB?

And if over a quarter of the system memory is basically unusable....then I've become one of those people complaining this damn thing doesn't have enough memory!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 02:09 AM
    What apps do you have running in the background? My phone is pretty quick with only 60MB left.

I have google maps, twitter, facebook, unread, podtrapper and beejive running in the background.
    05-08-10 03:12 AM
    You shouldn't be lagging that badly with 80mb left there. I agree with Kouki, what do you have going on in the background there? What apps to you have running?
    05-08-10 03:33 AM
    Uhm...well, I've always noticed this. But I use ubertwitter, google maps (though I'm careful to shut this down when I'm not using it) poynt, Facebook, Amazon.coms app, Opera...uhm....but I'm fairly confident that it doesn't much matter what programs I'm running. This has been a thing across numerous hybrids and stock OSes. I'm running .643 at the moment though.

On the other hand, now I'm back up to 89mb from 85 last night (I closed out some apps) and things seem much snappier.

-Stephen

05-08-10 08:59 AM
    That's weird. You shouldn't be experiencing considerable lag at 80 MB. Maybe there is something in your settings?

05-09-10 11:53 AM
    Pretty sure its got to be a particular application or applications that you keep running in the background that's slowing you down, and not the size of your remaining memory.

I average around 60 - 65mb of free memory, and never notice any lagging.

What os are you running?
    05-10-10 07:41 AM
    Pretty sure its got to be a particular application or applications that you keep running in the background that's slowing you down, and not the size of your remaining memory.

I average around 60 - 65mb of free memory, and never notice any lagging.

What os are you running?
    I'm willing to bet it's a combination of everyone's suggestions, apps, OS, probably the way you have your settings, your BB desktop setup, all of it goes into play and affects your phone.

Now, what I will also say is this, I find it really funny that at 80mb your phone lags. I've ran my phone just fine with 25mb free file memory and haven't had an issue yet. However I'll attribute that to the fact that I'm a hybrid compiler/user so my OS that I use is thinned out of all the things I dont need like BB Help, any language support files or any other junk. In another perspective, my OS installed on my computer is about 103ish mb (any official/leak install) by the time i'm ready to actually install the operating system on my device, i'm installing about 41mb and have stripped out close 60mb of junk, garbage and trash that I don't need for my blackberry to run, and everything gone ISN'T system critical stuff, it's things like Voice Activated Dialing (got vLingo, don't need VAD), BB Maps (got Garmin, don't need) Event Log Viewer (Use BBMCP on my computer, don't need). Here's a screen shot of everything I remove out of my OS prior to installation:

Yes, this is what a typical hybrid user's install probably looks like, tho mine is albeit a bit more extreme, the phone still functions perfection fine, at idle sits between 69 and 72 degrees per meterberry and also has a .1-.4% discharge rate per hour.
    Last edited by helljack6; 05-10-10 at 09:27 AM.
    05-10-10 09:20 AM
    I'm willing to bet it's a combination of everyone's suggestions, apps, OS, probably the way you have your settings, your BB desktop setup, all of it goes into play and affects your phone.

Now, what I will also say is this, I find it really funny that at 80mb your phone lags. I've ran my phone just fine with 25mb free file memory and haven't had an issue yet. However I'll attribute that to the fact that I'm a hybrid compiler/user so my OS that I use is thinned out of all the things I dont need like BB Help, any language support files or any other junk. In another perspective, my OS installed on my computer is about 103ish mb (any official/leak install) by the time i'm ready to actually install the operating system on my device, i'm installing about 41mb and have stripped out close 60mb of junk, garbage and trash that I don't need for my blackberry to run, and everything gone ISN'T system critical stuff, it's things like Voice Activated Dialing (got vLingo, don't need VAD), BB Maps (got Garmin, don't need) Event Log Viewer (Use BBMCP on my computer, don't need). Here's a screen shot of everything I remove out of my OS prior to installation:

Yes, this is what a typical hybrid user's install probably looks like, tho mine is albeit a bit more extreme, the phone still functions perfection fine, at idle sits between 69 and 72 degrees per meterberry and also has a .1-.4% discharge rate per hour.
    Yeah...I shrink my OS using shrink-a-os and cut out most of the things you mention....
    I wonder if it has as much to do (as you said) with what applications are actually running in the background as anything else.

Meh. I'm the guy ASKING for help, so clearly I don't know!

-Stephen
    05-14-10 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD