Can someone please tell me what the big deal is on Wifi? I just dont see the purpose. What is the real benefit of having it?
    03-22-09 07:16 PM
    ever wonder about the idea that only BBs had "required" data plans while other PDA's had only the "option" of one?

Might factor into the reasoning why there's more control over BB data verses PDA data.

Then again, all phones are going to require data plans soon so it'll be interesting how verizon approches the wifi issue in the future
    O the whole thing as far as VZW requiring the data package on the BB's is in the terms with RIM. The BB's main functions are for large email use and web so being able to have BIS and up to 10 pers. email accounts were the main perks and taking that out by blocking the access or "Pay as you go" was sorta expensive and pointless. I personally hate when customers have a HTC or 6900 and want to block the data usage that is SO POINTLESS! buy an old school palm pilot if you want the calendar! so lame!!!!
    03-22-09 07:23 PM
    I would bet like codey said that because of the gsm and cdma radios there wouldn't be enough room for wifi radios as well. It would be cool if you could get it on there though. More options for consumers is always better in my opinion.
    03-22-09 09:48 PM
    Can someone please tell me what the big deal is on Wifi? I just dont see the purpose. What is the real benefit of having it?
    (1) a good data connection is not available everywhere, all the time. I travel to areas that have a mediocre data connection, but the hotel has wifi. Would be nice to have the option of using it.

(2) in many cases, wifi is faster.
    03-23-09 08:37 AM
    I would bet like codey said that because of the gsm and cdma radios there wouldn't be enough room for wifi radios as well. It would be cool if you could get it on there though. More options for consumers is always better in my opinion.
    My response to the size argument is the 8120. The board in the Pearl is miniscule compared to the board in the Storm and (I'm assuming) the Niagara, and they can fit a WiFi and GSM radio on it. The extra room on the 9530/9630 board seems to preclude physical size being the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 09:09 AM
    The deciding factor may be battery life. Without wifi it's much better, or course an option (which it would CERTAINLY have) to turn off wifi would negate that issue. Ah well maybe someday we'll get a VZW BB with wifi. I just don't think it's gonna be the Niagara. Hope I'm wrong, BUT it does NOT look good for us.
    03-23-09 09:43 AM
    Given the battery life of some of the WinMo phones, and the fact that you can always turn the WiFi radio off, if that is the reason, it seems like a weak argument to me...

03-23-09 10:48 AM
    First check out this link: Sling Media - BlackBerry

just my observation. not that it's the only reason to have wi-fi as there are others, but it's one of the reasons why i haven't gotten official sling media for my 9530. Here are a couple other reasons:

My Own Network

If you�ve put a high-speed network in your home/office, why shouldn�t you be able to add your device to it? Why send all your data through Verizon or whoever when you have your own?

Speed

No matter how fast your 3G connection is, a good Wi-Fi implementation will beat it. Probably handily, and in many cases by a wide margin. Why should your device not be allowed to take advantage of this speed? And this applies not only when you�re at home, but also at the many Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the country.

No �Data Clock�

Even if you have �unlimited� access on your data plan, many carriers still impose limits (i.e., �unlimited� doesn�t really mean unlimited). By putting the device on a Wi-Fi network you not only get faster speed, you get off the carrier�s data clock.

Perhaps more important than anything above are the kinds of applications your device can support when it becomes part of your local network.
    03-23-09 01:33 PM
    Actually, the 8350i is iDen, not CDMA.

I stand corrected. I didn't think they were making anymore just IDEN phones, thought it was both. Looks like they don't mind being pointed in the wrong direction, guess that's why I left the company.
    03-23-09 03:00 PM
    No �Data Clock�

Even if you have �unlimited� access on your data plan, many carriers still impose limits (i.e., �unlimited� doesn�t really mean unlimited). By putting the device on a Wi-Fi network you not only get faster speed, you get off the carrier�s data clock.

Perhaps more important than anything above are the kinds of applications your device can support when it becomes part of your local network.
    If I have a 450 minute plan on Verizon with a data plan, every time I access the internet does that use my minutes?
    03-23-09 03:29 PM
    If I have a 450 minute plan on Verizon with a data plan, every time I access the internet does that use my minutes?
    means its not unlimited data in mb or kb or w/e it is not meaning it bites into ur mintues
    03-23-09 06:17 PM
    means its not unlimited data in mb or kb or w/e it is not meaning it bites into ur mintues
    To quote MrCbr:

I'm having a hard time reading this as anything resembling the english language.

Were you drunk when posting? I am curious.

What are you trying to tell us Lassie? Did Little Timmy fall in the well?! There's a stranger in the hen house?!

What, EXACTLY, does that block of text you posted mean?!

Please help. SO confused.......

To answer giper's question:

No, if you have a BB data plan, it does not eat into your 450 minutes.
    03-24-09 06:19 AM
    Lets not insult each other gang! CB Nation is better than that! We come, we learn and are helped by others then we pass it on to even more others. Lets get back to THAT!
    03-24-09 09:58 AM
    "Not if you know the right people, and can afford it."

Um, you got a TMO Bold floating around?

03-24-09 10:15 PM
    Wait, what does that have to do with the Niagara? And isn't the bold on AT&T?

03-24-09 10:30 PM
    "Not if you know the right people, and can afford it."

Um, you got a TMO Bold floating around?

You'll be getting a T-Mo Germany Bold actually.

Wait, what does that have to do with the Niagara? And isn't the bold on AT&T?

They went to T-Mo for the Bold first, but they passed on it. And there's still T-Mo branded Germany version Bolds out there.
    03-24-09 10:35 PM
    To quote MrCbr:

I'm having a hard time reading this as anything resembling the english language.

Were you drunk when posting? I am curious.

What are you trying to tell us Lassie? Did Little Timmy fall in the well?! There's a stranger in the hen house?!

What, EXACTLY, does that block of text you posted mean?!

Please help. SO confused.......
    L-M-F-A-O!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing....
    03-26-09 03:02 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD