this "update" really blows chunks. Not everyone likes threaded messages... As much as I've tried, I can't start a new text message to someone without deleting/clearing an older message. If I receive a voice-mail from someone, I can't send them a text without deleting the voice-mail message from the list. There's no way to "un-link" contacts (the option in BBM DOES NOT WORK).
    04-11-10 07:07 PM
    backup your data, and put on a hybrid. Driphter.com
    you'll still have threaded sms but the other problems your mentioning are not there.
    04-12-10 12:55 PM
    be sure to call Verizon they are getting a lot of complaints about the 5.0
    I hate threaded texting among other things
    04-12-10 01:15 PM
    I don't even remember what the old texting was like. I didn't like threaded texting when I updated my OS but I'm used to it now. Give it time...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 01:26 PM
    backup your data, and put on a hybrid. Driphter.com
    you'll still have threaded sms but the other problems your mentioning are not there.
    The threaded sms I could live with or without, but is the problem (to me it is one) of sms msgs showing up in bbm not there in this hybrid? Without unlinking the contacts?

Thx
    04-12-10 02:09 PM
    The threaded sms I could live with or without, but is the problem (to me it is one) of sms msgs showing up in bbm not there in this hybrid? Without unlinking the contacts?

Thx
    you can get rid of it by unlinking the contact with the bbm pin. it works - i have done it.
    04-12-10 02:19 PM
    you can get rid of it by unlinking the contact with the bbm pin. it works - i have done it.
    Thanks. But that's my problem. I don't want to unlink them. I do have several people that I text with for different reasons, and bbm with for others. And I like to keep it separate, but with them still in my contacts.

I just don't see the reasoning for making this an either/or thing. It really seems like a "mistake". Certainly not an upgrade. Well, not for me I was hoping that it was just a bug in the official release.
    04-12-10 05:15 PM
    well only people who have a blackberry will have their sms conversations come up in your bbm app. all other sms conversations will be stored in the sms/mms folder.
    04-12-10 10:06 PM
    well only people who have a blackberry will have their sms conversations come up in your bbm app. all other sms conversations will be stored in the sms/mms folder.
    Right, but my problem is that it should be like that for all contacts. An SMS convo is an SMS convo and a BBM convo is a BBM convo. It's separate in 4.7, it should have remained so (imho). Still feels like a bug. Meh. That's the biggest reason stopping me from putting 5.0 back.
    04-12-10 11:00 PM
    I never understood why people don't like it. I've always loved it and can't stand the oppisite.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 11:19 PM
    Right, but my problem is that it should be like that for all contacts. An SMS convo is an SMS convo and a BBM convo is a BBM convo. It's separate in 4.7, it should have remained so (imho). Still feels like a bug. Meh. That's the biggest reason stopping me from putting 5.0 back.
    I agree. Having grown accustomed (in 4.5 and 4.7) to them being different things and serving different purposes, it definitely seems like a step backwards to have them morphed together.
    04-12-10 11:27 PM
    I guess I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you want. You want all SMS in the SMS/MMS folder and all BBM in the BBM folder right? If that's the case, you can just unlink the phone number from the BBM contact and they will be separated like that - SMS by SMS and BBM's with BBM. If I am not understanding correctly, please correct me.
    04-13-10 08:39 AM
    I guess I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you want. You want all SMS in the SMS/MMS folder and all BBM in the BBM folder right? If that's the case, you can just unlink the phone number from the BBM contact and they will be separated like that - SMS by SMS and BBM's with BBM. If I am not understanding correctly, please correct me.
    If you unlink them, then their BBM info is no longer in their contact info. I would like it to remain there, just as it is in 4.7. I have multiple uses for it remaining like that.

Again, it feels like a downgrade to not be able to keep that link without merging together chats and SMS's that have nothing to do with each other. I use SMS and BBM for different purposes and it is nothing short of very messy and disorganized for me for them to be merged together.
    04-13-10 10:10 AM
    If you unlink them, then their BBM info is no longer in their contact info. I would like it to remain there, just as it is in 4.7. I have multiple uses for it remaining like that.

Again, it feels like a downgrade to not be able to keep that link without merging together chats and SMS's that have nothing to do with each other. I use SMS and BBM for different purposes and it is nothing short of very messy and disorganized for me for them to be merged together.
    okay I see.. but wondering why you would like for the bbm info to remain intact with contact info? just curious about this.
    04-13-10 11:25 AM
    okay I see.. but wondering why you would like for the bbm info to remain intact with contact info? just curious about this.
    Couple of examples:

- You're in the middle of a BBM convo and realize you can't msg everything and need to talk. Push send right from the convo and call that contact.

- Some of my BBM contacts do not have pics associated w/their PIN. I'm 50 (shhhhhhh!), and without having to take the darn reading glasses on and off my head, can see the pic I have associated with their contact entry if I have them linked, and decide if I want to have that conversation just then.

- If in the middle of a BBM convo you determine you need to send an email to that contact, just pull up the BB menu and email from there. Likewise with sending an SMS or MMS.

- If during a BBM convo you should need to view that person's contact info for whatever information you have stored in their contact entry, ditto on the BB menu.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I got for now!
    Last edited by sandra_17; 04-13-10 at 11:54 AM.
    04-13-10 11:51 AM
    Couple of examples:

- You're in the middle of a BBM convo and realize you can't msg everything and need to talk. Push send right from the convo and call that contact.

- Some of my BBM contacts do not have pics associated w/their PIN. I'm 50 (shhhhhhh!), and without having to take the darn reading glasses on and off my head, can see the pic I have associated with their contact entry if I have them linked, and decide if I want to have that conversation just then.

- If in the middle of a BBM convo you determine you need to send an email to that contact, just pull up the BB menu and email from there. Likewise with sending an SMS or MMS.

- If during a BBM convo you should need to view that person's contact info for whatever information you have stored in their contact entry, ditto on the BB menu.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I got for now!
    okay okay... that all makes sense why you would want/need to have the bbm contacts linked to their contact information.
    04-13-10 12:06 PM
    okay okay... that all makes sense why you would want/need to have the bbm contacts linked to their contact information.
    Phew!

04-13-10 12:16 PM
    I understand it's hard for RIM to please everyone, but if they're gonna roll out an update that threads all your text msgs from BlackBerry users, we should at the very least have the option to deselect threaded messaging. I just don't like it...last I checked, that's what BBM was for
    04-13-10 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD