I'm new to blackberry so sorry if i'm bugging out. I understand that a text message can only be 160 characters. However, on my old windows mobile phone, i can type a message thats lets say 320 characters and send it out. That person will then receive 2 messages from me. Well, today was my first time writing a text message over 160 characters on my blackberry and it stopped right at 160 so i had to send the message and then create a new message so I can continue the first one. Whats up with that? Please tell me there's a setting that I can change that...THANKS!
    07-17-09 09:12 AM
    I'm new to blackberry so sorry if i'm bugging out. I understand that a text message can only be 160 characters. However, on my old windows mobile phone, i can type a message thats lets say 320 characters and send it out. That person will then receive 2 messages from me. Well, today was my first time writing a text message over 160 characters on my blackberry and it stopped right at 160 so i had to send the message and then create a new message so I can continue the first one. Whats up with that? Please tell me there's a setting that I can change that...THANKS!
    Nope, hence the word SHORT Message Service (SMS).

If you need to write a novel, send an email instead.
    07-17-09 09:17 AM
    I could be wrong but i think Verizon limits the characters to 160 for a text message.
    07-17-09 09:18 AM
    Well, no setting, but there is an application called beyond 160. Its 6 dollars but it has a free trial for a decent amount of time. So when you get 160 characters you click the blackberry button then click go beyond 160 and you can type past 160. Go to the crackberry mobile app store, and its right there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nope, no setting... something to do with CDMA versions of BlackBerry

See here for solution
    Beyond160 Adds Extended/Multipart SMS Support to CDMA BlackBerrys | BerryReview.com �
    Send as an MMS. It will let you type a message with up to 1500 characters.
    07-17-09 09:36 AM
    all vzw smartphones, 160 char limit. on other phones, e.g. a razr, if you send more than 160, it automatically breaks it up and does what beyond160 does.
    07-17-09 09:41 AM
    Get the app "beyond 160"

07-17-09 09:41 AM
    Yeah it is strictly cdma if you use your phone in GSM it will break it up.
    07-17-09 09:42 AM
    all vzw smartphones, 160 char limit. on other phones, e.g. a razr, if you send more than 160, it automatically breaks it up and does what beyond160 does.
    Not true. I had a verizon smartphone that broke it up, but it was a windows mobile. I'm not sure why the Blackberry doesn't do it. I think it has to do with Verizon. I bet they think since blackberries are required to have e-mail we would use e-mail or mms instead of sending an sms? Or something along those lines, just speculating.
    07-17-09 09:46 AM
    It most be a cdma thing cause I don't have a limit on my tour ( than again am on AT&T)..

07-17-09 09:50 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna look into the beyond 160 software. I don't usually type sms messages that long but occassionally I will. My previous wm phone allowed me to type away and did the extra work of splitting the message up for me so I thought this was possible with the Blackberry. Again, i'm new to Blackberry but i can see how this would be obvious to some. Thanks again.
    07-17-09 09:51 AM
    If you're typing that much, use an MMS or an email. Simple, easy, and doesn't require the purchase or installaion of anything.

Text messages were designed to be short folks, if you're writing 400 characters, do something different.
    07-17-09 10:00 AM
    Send as MMS
    07-17-09 10:10 AM
    Send as an MMS. If you were on TELUS, then Beyond160 is a mandatory purchase since TELUS smartphones can't send MMS (yet their dumbphones can)!
    07-17-09 10:14 AM
    Please...SEARCH the forums...and enjoy your stay.
    07-17-09 10:15 AM
    i was going to post about this. my ppc phones will break it up as well as the curve 8350i but i realize by reading this thread that i was indeed using MMS to send pages and that makes sense. i have not had a sms only phone in ages and i see on the tour that you can send a sms OR mms..

learn something new everyday
    07-17-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD