I would have to say that i am greatly disappointed that the tour STILL has a 160 character limit for sms messages. why is it so difficult for them to up this limit? all other phones allow you up to 7 pages!!!!!!!

this is quite annoyting
    07-12-09 12:06 PM
    From what I've heard Verizon tells RIM no.
    07-12-09 12:08 PM
    Verizon always finds ways to ruin good phones..
    07-12-09 12:09 PM
    Didnt know mms could do that, thanks for the info! i had an 8703e which didnt have mms, so i was always stuck sending multiple pages, and since i had such a bad signal on the phone, sometimes people would get page 2 before page 1
    07-12-09 12:19 PM
    Didnt know mms could do that, thanks for the info! i had an 8703e which didnt have mms, so i was always stuck sending multiple pages, and since i had such a bad signal on the phone, sometimes people would get page 2 before page 1
    Yeah that's actually why mms was created was for longer texts.
    07-12-09 12:20 PM
    SMS is for short messages only you can text using mms which is unlimited and you don't have to use a picture either yet it!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Exactly that's what it is designed for, short messages. I see this talked about a lot and it always makes me laugh as to why. If you have something that's more than 160 characters, send an email or as you mentioned MMS, or better yet I just make a phone call.
    Last edited by Iceman; 07-12-09 at 12:24 PM.
    07-12-09 12:20 PM
    haha well if i'm texting somebody who doesnt have a blackberry sending them an email isnt always the quickest haha
    07-12-09 12:21 PM
    If there wasnt a 160 character limit then it wouldnt be an SMS. If you honestly need to send someone 7 pages then try typing an email, it is a Blackberry after all. Also, there is no limit with MMS, you can type all of your info in just one message, its better than bombarding an unsuspecting recepient with so many texts.
    07-12-09 12:22 PM
    Good call on the MMS!
    07-12-09 12:22 PM
    haha well if i'm texting somebody who doesnt have a blackberry sending them an email isnt always the quickest haha
    Tell them to get with the program.
    07-12-09 12:23 PM
    I know exactly what you mean....and it is actually pretty easy going over 160 letters im finding myself doing it all the time anymore ...
    07-12-09 12:24 PM
    This has been mentioned in a few other threads over the past week. MMS and email are great alternatives. However not everyone has MMS on their plan. Email seems to only apply to smart phone users.

It looks like Beyond160 is our only option at this point. It's a shame that cheap Verizon non-smart phones can do something a $500 phone cannot .

The greatest feature of my enV was EMS.

It's also 2009 and they probably never thought texting would be as popular as it got. One would think carriers would find a way to support EMS (Enhanced messaging ) all across the board. I've tried using mms the problem with that is it takes too long for the other person receiving it. Its as if they are receiving picture mail every time. My old LG gave me 6 pages of 160 character messages that I could send to other verizon customers so to the above this is not a verizon issue.
    my Vzw Blackberrys have always had this 160 character limit. however, my friend has a Vzw LG phone which does NOT have this limit. so when she texts me she can send me huge messages - that all arrive in one over-160-character text on my Blackberry. strange indeed - it seems to be a device limit and not a carrier limit.
    On most Verizon dumb phones, you are able to send SMS messages greater than 160 characters thanks to something called EMS. Enhanced Messaging Service is an adaptation of the Short Message Service that allows users to send and receive small sounds, little images, 160+ characters, as well as combinations of simple media to and from EMS-compliant handsets. Please do not confuse EMS with MMS. If a message is sent to a phone that is not EMS-capable, the recipient will still receive the text portion of the message, and also the FIRST 160 characters only. The LG Dare, Voyager, enV, enV2, enV3, EnV Touch, etc etc etc are all EMS capable.
    07-12-09 12:33 PM
    Yep verizon doesn;'t allow it on blackberries.. niether does sprint
    07-12-09 01:03 PM
    This may seem like a novel idea but here is what I do:
    If I need to say more than the character limit of a text message
    I CALL the person. If they don't answer I leave a VOICEMAIL
    07-12-09 01:11 PM
    Let's see here.....SMS = Simple Message Service. Not "Write A Novel".
    07-12-09 01:13 PM
    use mms and you tell that person who doesn't have a blackberry to step their game up
    07-12-09 01:14 PM
    Let's see here.....SMS = Simple Message Service. Not "Write A Novel".
    Your concept is correct, but it is Short Message Service.
    Short is apparently a flexible concept to many
    07-12-09 01:25 PM
    if i do use an mms as a text to have longer messages would they also be able to go through to non verizon customers cuz on my voyager i could send over 160 only to vzw customers
    07-12-09 01:32 PM
    I would have to say that i am greatly disappointed that the tour STILL has a 160 character limit for sms messages. why is it so difficult for them to up this limit? all other phones allow you up to 7 pages!!!!!!!

this is quite annoyting
    you mind want to try beyond160, its a neat little app...makes life a lot easier for people who frequently type long messages..
    07-12-09 01:34 PM
    Or tell RIM to step their game up, I mean that's almost as dumb as an iphone without copy and pa.....owait nevermind

07-12-09 01:39 PM
    Your concept is correct, but it is Short Message Service.
    Short is apparently a flexible concept to many
    Simple...short....same thing. lol It's been a long morning.
    07-12-09 01:40 PM
    yes yes i know i should just call, but there are often instances when a call just isnt possible and a lot needs to be said haha. i downloaded the trial of beyond 160 (granted its the storm version) so we'll see how it goes
    07-12-09 01:42 PM
    I'd personally rather have EMS on my BB than WiFi.

I'd use it more.

07-12-09 01:47 PM
    why would someone use sms over mms
    07-12-09 01:55 PM
    If you had searched for this in the forums you would have found out that this is not a carrier specific issue but a CDMA one. I think there are 9 other threads about this exact same subject.
    most verizon phones (with the exception of blackberry) have the ability to go way over 160 chars to other verizon customers, so its not necessarily just a cdma issue
    07-12-09 01:57 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD