Its very annoying when you are typing up a message and all of a sudden it cuts you off mid word because you have reached the 160 character limit. Even if your are texting from a verizon phone to another verizon phone. It is very annoying, does anyone know what setting to change to stop it from doing this?
    08-10-09 10:22 PM
    There is no setting to change this. It is a limit set by VZW. Purchase and download "Beyond160" and you'll be able to type more than 160 characters but it'll just send the messages separate into 160 character limited messages.
    08-10-09 10:26 PM
    There is no setting to change this. It is a limit set by VZW. Purchase and download "Beyond160" and you'll be able to type more than 160 characters but it'll just send the messages separate into 160 character limited messages.
    Beyond 160 is great. +1 for Graffixx01
    08-10-09 10:27 PM
    why did VZW set this limit for some phones and not for others? I have friends on verizon who can send more than 160 characters at a time. I remember I could on my LG ENV also before I got my curve, the curve did it also though just like the tour does. Where can I find Beyond 160?
    08-10-09 10:31 PM
    CDMA blackberries have always had this limit, its not really VZW. blackberries with GSM can type for up to 6 pages or 160 char each

beyond 160 is available from mobihand/crackberry store
    08-10-09 10:45 PM
    send your message as an mms and you should not have a problem on how long
    08-10-09 11:05 PM
    Why are we still talking about this??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 11:35 PM

You'll be asking that again in 2 days when we get another question about it.

and like the above posts, I use beyond160 as well.
    08-11-09 01:26 AM
    I use the free version of beyond160 it works great. Its where you double click the trackball then push "r" and continue typing. How many texts do you send that take multiple pages? Call if you have that much to say.
    08-11-09 02:05 AM
    where did u get the free version of beyond 160 PROOF2006?
    i just use mms messages if i go over i copy the message contents to a mms and continue.
    08-11-09 02:19 AM
    where did u get the free version of beyond 160 PROOF2006?
    i just use mms messages if i go over i copy the message contents to a mms and continue.
    the prob is most people dont have mms
    08-11-09 03:38 AM
    How do most ppl not have mms? I haven't had a phone without mms in like 7 years. Double click the trackball the press "r" just sends the msg and starts a new one. When done typing a message first click opens menu (defaulted to send), second click sends the message, pressing "r" is a shortcut for reply whenever in the messages or sms screen.

08-11-09 06:55 AM
    Ye,

I never understood why I keep hearing ppl don't have MMS on their homescreen.
    MY homescreen icon is "SMS & MMS". My MMS works!

I'm with MTS here, and I know ppl with Telus don't have the MMS option.

Kinda cra**y that MMS won't work on some ppl's phones...especially since the Storm was made for MMS, with the decent camera and video camera.
    08-11-09 07:02 AM
    How do most ppl not have mms? I haven't had a phone without mms in like 7 years. Double click the trackball the press "r" just sends the msg and starts a new one. When done typing a message first click opens menu (defaulted to send), second click sends the message, pressing "r" is a shortcut for reply whenever in the messages or sms screen.

its not people dont have it, its that some get charged extra for it and therefore have it block and such. The phones themselves are capable of handling them though
    08-11-09 08:12 AM

Because people refuse to search the forum for answers. Just like the thread on "What case do you have on your Tour?"
    08-11-09 08:33 AM
    It's a little frustrating. I had a Palm Treo for almost four years. It was a total piece of crap, and even it had the integrated ability to truncate and send SMS message larger than 160 characters. Why this hasn't been implemented by RIM by now is a complete mystery, and I really don't see any reasonable excuse for not implementing it by now.

I don't mind sending them as MMS, but a lot of people don't have MMS service with their plans, and are unable to receive those messages. And I've run into issues with people outside the VZW network where they didn't receive the message, and I never received a message saying that the message was undeliverable. So we had some lost communications.

In the grand scheme of things, 160 characters isn't that much... especially if your messages consist of things intellectually deeper than "i luv u lolk!"

I'm really, really hoping RIM will implement SMS truncating soon without me having to pay extra for a third party program. Whodathunk my ancient brick of a Treo 770 would have a one-up on a Treo 9630?
    11-29-09 03:15 PM
    This is a CARRIER issue not a RIM issue.

Extended SMS is supported on BlackBerry devices on many/most GSM carriers.
    Extended SMS is supported on other devices on many/most CDMA carriers.
    Extended SMS is NOT supported on BlackBerry devices on many/most CDMA carriers.
    11-29-09 03:28 PM
    What makes it so that a carrier won't allow extended SMS on a Blackberry, but it will on a Palm Treo or an LG Env? And why would carriers blatantly disallow extended SMS on Blackberry phones when they are some of their best sellers?
    11-29-09 04:06 PM
    In the time you have conversed about this issue that has been discussed numerous times. You could have gotten Beyond 160, sent an mms (1500 Character limit), sent and email, and oh yes called the person.
    11-29-09 04:12 PM
    Or...Upgrade to OS 5.0 and have threaded SMS. When you hit the 160 character limit, hit Enter and then keep typing. Easy as that.
    11-29-09 08:57 PM
    I think first off you need to learn how to use the search function. Second off, you can load 5.0 and once you fill one text, send it, and just start typing again.
    11-29-09 09:00 PM
    Or...Upgrade to OS 5.0 and have threaded SMS. When you hit the 160 character limit, hit Enter and then keep typing. Easy as that.
    Interesting... my Tour upgraded to 5.0 yesterday. The overall speed of the phone is noticeably faster, but I don't seem to have the ability to do the threaded SMS. Whenever I run out of character, it won't let me do anything other than send the message right then.

I think first off you need to learn how to use the search function. Second off, you can load 5.0 and once you fill one text, send it, and just start typing again.
    I did search, and the answer to my question in all the threads I read was 'Buy Beyond160," but that doesn't cut it for me. Yes, it's a solution, but I don't know much about how wireless networks function, and it isn't making sense why several year-old EnVs and Treos can concatenate SMS while Blackberry phones can't, and why VZW isn't implementing anything to change that.

I also tried your trick of typing, sending, and typing, but mine doesn't do that either. I have to go in and either reselect the message I am replying to, or recreate the recipient of my text before I can continue typing - basically I have to manually create new text messages each time.
    11-30-09 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD