When choosing the network type there are three options GSM/UMTS, 1XEV, and Global. At the Verizon store they told me to keep it as 1XEV. I've noticed though when I have it on global it seems to get much better reception while roaming. I know when a Verizon network is available my phone won't allow me to run on the GSM/UMTS network, but when the Verizon network isn't available will the phone work on these networks?
    09-23-09 11:39 AM
    I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that there are different types of GSM here and in other countries, and the specific type of GSM that's available in the US is not the type of GSM that this phone gets. At least, that's what I was told about the Storm I used to have. The Tour might be different.

I was told to keep it on 1XEV so that it wouldn't waste battery searching for a signal that it would never find here.

When I took my Storm to Europe (I haven't traveled with my Tour yet), I set it to Global and it bounced around from service to service quite a bit.

But maybe some quality of being open to other networks does make the connection better? IDK. Maybe compare the battery drain and see if it's worth the better reception!
    09-23-09 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD