Can someone shed some light n the Sim card slot in a 9630? My wife has one (on US Cellular) and we notice the slot. I put my Sim card (from AT&T 9700) and insert into the slot and booted the phone. It says it was connected to AT&T network but when calling someone, her # showed up as her own. What is the purpose of the Sim? Can she use her phone on At&T with an AT&T card?

Thanks,
    Moe
    08-05-10 09:41 PM
    The Tour is considered a "World Phone" meaning that in addition to it's CDMA radio, it also has a quad-band GSM radio as well for use in areas that only have GSM service (essentially the rest of the world outside of Canada and the US).

The SIM card slot is meant for roaming purposes when you're outside of North America. Typically the Tours come locked from the carrier, so that you can only use their CDMA network in North America, and when abroad, be forced to use their SIM card and pay sky high roaming fees.

You can however unlock the Tour so that you can use any GSM carrier that you want and also buy pre-paid SIMs when you're abroad.
    08-05-10 10:58 PM
    The Tour is considered a "World Phone" meaning that in addition to it's CDMA radio, it also has a quad-band GSM radio as well for use in areas that only have GSM service (essentially the rest of the world outside of Canada and the US).

The SIM card slot is meant for roaming purposes when you're outside of North America. Typically the Tours come locked from the carrier, so that you can only use their CDMA network in North America, and when abroad, be forced to use their SIM card and pay sky high roaming fees.

You can however unlock the Tour so that you can use any GSM carrier that you want and also buy pre-paid SIMs when you're abroad.
    How would I go about getting it unlocked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 11:10 PM
    Unlock Code or try calling VZW. Its 50/50 whether they will give it to you.
    08-05-10 11:24 PM
    us cellular tours are already unlocked.
    08-06-10 12:15 AM
    Yeah most carriers like us cell and sprint ship them already unlocked. Found this out only after purchasing an unlock code. Lol
    08-06-10 09:26 AM
    To clear up some confusion:

In addition to what Blackberry_Guy said, your Tour is already unlocked (hence it accepted the AT&T SIM in the first place). However the issue lies in the CDMA portion of the device, which contains information such as the phone number of your wife. This is stored deep inside the BlackBerry and manipulating this information requires access to a CDMA Service Edit screen. To get there you must know the Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) password of the device. For Verizon Wireless and Alltel devices, this is ##000000. I don't know about US Cellular, but at least Sprint use a different, often unique to the device MSL password that may be obtained by calling customer support and specifically asking for it (I suggest telling the representative to forward you to a supervisor, as they usually know what this all is about). Be aware that some carriers will not give out the MSL by any means, meaning the information stored is stuck in the device. In order for that information to be cleared you would then be required to go to a service center and have a professional get physical access to the phone.

Be aware though that even if your wife's phone number is shown, if the Network Technology you have chosen under Mobile Network Options is GSM/UMTS and not Global, then it will force the call to go through AT&T. You can hide your wife's phone number in the Phone Options. There is an option to hide "My Number". Also be aware that if you were to manipulate above mentioned CDMA data, you would then make the phone unable to process calls on US Cellular, because US Cellular utilizes the CDMA data stored on your phone to process a call and if it is any different to the information they have in their records, the call will fail.

So in short, your wife may use her phone on AT&T. It is possible. Make sure to cancel any service with US Cellular should you decide to go AT&T forever (but be sure to ask for the MSL password before canceling your subscription, because otherwise the CDMA data will be left in the phone forever like I explained above).
    08-06-10 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD