Hey i'm obviously new here and am awaiting my first Blackberry, the Tour, and I had a couple questions. I noticed the obvious problem with the Tour is the trackball and it seems like no one can avoid it. Should I just plan on going straight into Sprint to get it fixed?? I just can't imagine the newer Tours coming out are failing so soon. Also, should I step up the OS as soon as I get it? I read a few users sayin they loved the OS 5.0.0.230. Anyways, i'm really excited for my first Blackberry and hope I can gain some good knowledge on it by reading through these forums!
    12-15-09 03:35 PM
    Well you should wait on the trackball because some people like myself never have had any trackball problems, and as for the OS you can use your stock OS a little bit and if you like it then keep it but if you want it a little faster then you can always upgrade to 5.0 and put a hyrbid on top of it...just do some browsing around here on the forums and read up on the different hybrids, and radios, and OS's....
    12-15-09 03:39 PM
    Sounds good, preciate that.
    12-15-09 03:41 PM
    read the forum...there are plenty of threads that answer ur questions...
    12-15-09 03:44 PM
    I originally had a second batch Tour, built on 7/13, and I had the infamous trackball problem. However, I received a new Tour, built on 9/22, at the beginning of October and I have not had any trackball issues. The build date is on the box and anything from September on should be ok as a standard rule but of course there are always exceptions.

I'm still using Sprints 4.7.1.57 OS awaiting the official 5.0 OS from Sprint or any carrier for that matter. Before jumping on .230 you might want to search the forum for any issues with it. One thing that comes to mind is Sprint customers keep receiving a provisioning error, sometimes several times a day, on the .230 OS. A battery pull solves it but that can get annoying.

Welcome to Crackberry family.
    12-15-09 03:56 PM
    I switched to .230 OS and have not had any problems with it at all. I love the threaded text messaging! The only problem I've had is when I'm listening to music, it will play a song and then the audio will go away, but the next track will continue playing. It's a common issue, and all you have to do is push pause and start the song over. no biggie
    12-15-09 07:10 PM
    I know there were problems with the initial batch of Tours. My Tour was from after August and I haven't had any problems with the hardware at all. The trackball works very well - even better than my 8830WE trackball ever did.

The main problem I see is the 4.7 OS. The "Out of Memory" and "552 reload" errors are directly tied to the 4.7 OS. Bumping up to 5.0 will get you around that. Just be aware that the leaked beta does have a few quirks of its own. I have found that the little quirks of 5.0 are still a vast improvement over 4.7.
    12-15-09 07:29 PM
    My phone does exactly what I want right now, so I'm just holding out for the official release. I haven't had any trackball issues yet (going on a month and half).
    12-15-09 08:04 PM
    I've had mine since 9/29 and the trackball is fine. They changed the assembly sometime in late August and pretty much solved the problem (with few exceptions obviously).
    12-15-09 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD