New to BB and this board and am loving it. However I went into my local Verizon store and well, you know how it goes...didn't get a solid referral or recommendation on anything...on my own. I picked out a BB Curve 8330 and am enjoying using it. Bought it based on price. The 9630 was $150 more. I have 30 days to make a change. However I do have to pay a restocking fee. Need some honest recommendations. Is the keypad so much better? Is the browser that much faster? Is the screen that much brighter. I know it's intl capability so thats great. Thoughts please!!!! Thanks so much. I upgraded from a phone (yes plan old cell phone, no apps, no email no nothing) so this is huge for me.

Will post in 8330 forum also...
    Last edited by Berliner; 07-16-09 at 09:55 AM.
    07-16-09 09:52 AM
    Well I'd suggest going and looking at the tour and get a feel for it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 09:56 AM
    New to BB and this board and am loving it. However I went into my local Verizon store and well, you know how it goes...didn't get a solid referral or recommendation on anything...on my own. I picked out a BB Curve 8330 and am enjoying using it. Bought it based on price. The 9630 was $150 more. I have 30 days to make a change. However I do have to pay a restocking fee. Need some honest recommendations. Is the keypad so much better? Is the browser that much faster? Is the screen that much brighter. I know it's intl capability so thats great. Thoughts please!!!! Thanks so much. I upgraded from a phone (yes plan old cell phone, no apps, no email no nothing) so this is huge for me.

The 8330 is a very solid phone but it is slowly becoming outdated. The Tour is definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion if the extra money isn't an issue.

I like the keyboard much better on my Tour than I did on my Curve.
    I find it to be much faster than any other blackberry I've owned so far. The browser is the browser and I don't think that is ever going to change lol but I like it better on the Tour than the Curve.
    The screen is much nicer. Much brighter and crisper in my opinion.

If you are new to the BlackBerry world and have the extra money to put out for the Tour, why not get one of the best ones on the market?
    07-16-09 09:58 AM
    Thanks Tdubby, I've been back twice...I think they hate to see me come into the door...

They seem to be into the Lg's and Htc phones and don't know lots about BB apps.
    07-16-09 10:00 AM
    i agree i've had the verizon 8330 for a great while, and while its a great solid phone, its a bit aged, and the tour is faster in every aspect, true 3g speed camera is better, keyboard is just right not too big not too small, and worldphone too is great. But yea just pop in a store and ask to check one out, i'll bet u like it
    07-16-09 10:00 AM
    Yeah i like the tour over the curve. I suggest you get one.
    07-16-09 10:01 AM
    The 8330 is a good phone but a little long in the tooth... it will be ancient before your NE2 comes up 2 years from now. If your budget can handle it, get the Tour.
    07-16-09 10:02 AM
    New to BB and this board and am loving it. However I went into my local Verizon store and well, you know how it goes...didn't get a solid referral or recommendation on anything...on my own. I picked out a BB Curve 8330 and am enjoying using it. Bought it based on price. The 9630 was $150 more. I have 30 days to make a change. However I do have to pay a restocking fee. Need some honest recommendations.
    Is the keypad so much better? Its about the same

Is the browser that much faster? Yeah its better
    Is the screen that much brighter. Not brighter But SO MUCH clearer and nicer. Much better resolution.

I know it's intl capability so thats great. Thoughts please!!!! Thanks so much. I upgraded from a phone (yes plan old cell phone, no apps, no email no nothing) so this is huge for me.

Plus the camera is way better.
    And the GPS is unlocked for free!

The 8330 is absolutely a solid phone. But, like someone else said it is slowly becoming an out dated device. The Tour is an excellent step up. If you got the money I'd go for the Tour!
    In my experience, the tour is faster, the screen is much better but I think the opinion of the keyboard varies by personal preference. I like the keyboard but it did take some getting used to since it is different than the curve's. I would also recommend checking one out at the store if you're unsure ... that's the only way you'll see the differences first hand. I say go for the switch!
    07-16-09 10:03 AM
    I'm a curve 8330 owner, and when the Tour came out, I took a walk over to Verizon to check it out. Nice looking phone. Sort've resembles the storm with a keypad. Screen resolution is great, but this is something that really doesnt matter to me being that its a phone, and not my flatscreen. It has more memory, a faster processor, and a higher megapixel camera. Its basically the same exact phone as the curve, but with a few upgrades. The main thing for me was the keyboard. The curve 8330 has a spaced out keyboard, whereas the Tour doesnt. The buttons are the Tour are quite cramped, and for a person like me to texts/emails/etc.. a lot, it was what prevented me from picking one up. I suggest u go to the store and play around with it for a while in order to get a feel for it. If you feel its worth $150 more than what u have now, then go for it.
    Last edited by deevel79; 07-16-09 at 10:08 AM.
    07-16-09 10:04 AM
    If you can swing it, you may be happier with the Tour in the long run. Figure it will be a while before you can upgrade the phone again, so you'll be starting out with the top of the line (IMHO). Not to worry though. The Curve is a solid phone that gets the job done well. Enjoy whichever one you decide on!

07-16-09 10:05 AM
    "New to BB and this board and am loving it. However I went into my local Verizon store and well, you know how it goes...didn't get a solid referral or recommendation on anything...on my own. I picked out a BB Curve 8330 and am enjoying using it. Bought it based on price. The 9630 was $150 more. I have 30 days to make a change. However I do have to pay a restocking fee. Need some honest recommendations. Is the keypad so much better? Is the browser that much faster? Is the screen that much brighter. I know it's intl capability so thats great. Thoughts please!!!! Thanks so much. I upgraded from a phone (yes plan old cell phone, no apps, no email no nothing) so this is huge for me"

Verizon stores are a rip off..If any person thought before they did things instead of going into the store and getting ripped off..Buy a phone off the verizon site because its cheaper. I had the curve before my tour and to tell you the truth..the curve sucks compared to the 9630 tour..Blows it away completely..Next time be smarter and buy it offline..I dont even know why you would go with the curve in the first place its old news..The tour is great..
    07-16-09 10:06 AM
    "Verizon stores are a rip off..If any person thought before they did things instead of going into the store and getting ripped off..Buy a phone off the verizon site because its cheaper. I had the curve before my tour and to tell you the truth..the curve sucks compared to the 9630 tour..Blows it away completely..Next time be smarter and buy it offline..I dont even know why you would go with the curve in the first place its old news..The tour is great..
    Verizon.com is a rip off..If any person thought before they did things instead of going to verizonwireless.com and getting ripped off..Buy a phone at Best Buy because its cheaper. I had the curve before my tour and to tell you the truth..the curve sucks compared to the 9630 tour..Blows it away completely..Next time be smarter and buy it at Best Buy..I dont even know why you would go with the curve in the first place its old news..The tour is great..

I wanted to fix your post...
    07-16-09 10:12 AM
    depending on how you use the phone and what you use it for, $150 upgrade price might not be worth it for some. the 3g on the tour might be canceled out by wifi on the curve.

personally i think the upgrade is worth it, if you're already due for a ne2.
    07-16-09 10:16 AM
    depending on how you use the phone and what you use it for, $150 upgrade price might not be worth it for some. the 3g on the tour might be canceled out by wifi on the curve.

personally i think the upgrade is worth it, if you're already due for a ne2.
    The Verizon Curve doesnt have Wifi. No CDMA BB currently has Wifi for that matter.
    07-16-09 10:18 AM
    The Verizon Curve doesnt have Wifi. No CDMA BB currently has Wifi for that matter.
    sorry, talking about the tmobile curve or 8900.
    07-16-09 10:28 AM
    lol thanks bro..i wasnt sure how to do that...but I do have a point dont i?
    07-16-09 10:29 AM
    lol thanks bro..i wasnt sure how to do that...but I do have a point dont i?
    True..............
    07-16-09 10:33 AM
    Depends. If you don't care about having the latest and greatest then the 8330 is a solid nearly bullet-proof device. Yes, as mentioned above it's showing it's age at this point but we'll be saying the same thing about the Tour in 3 or 4 years! I travel extensively and use my BB nearly non-stop daily (like many here). My Curve has been dropped, scratched, had coffee spilled on it etc. etc. and still flawlessly cranks out 40-60 e-mails a day along with multiple other tasks- doing so perfectly day in day out. Now, this is not to say the Tour wouldn't be doing the same (and doing it faster!) but, as seems to be the case with every new device from RIM lately, the 9630 is showing a few "wrinkles" that need to be ironed out. If you don't mind being one of the first wave of Tour buyers that may or may not have to deal with the occasional 9630 issue- go for it. You've got 30 days to make up your mind. I'm due for my upgrade and went down to my local dealer Tuesday to pick up a Tour to replace my Curve. The manager had 6 on the counter that he was setting up for a local business that was buying them. I asked him about the loose battery doors that have been an issue on some 9630's. Interestingly, all six of these phones has a moderate degree of slide and flex in the doors. I then played with a Tour that they had on display for 30 or 40 minutes. What a great phone! Significantly faster than the Curve with an awesome screen. I can type on the Curve without even looking at the keys but I struggled to type on the Tour. Probably would adjust to the keyboard difference in a few weeks I suspect. After it was all said and done, I personally decided to wait a few months before I take the plunge on a Tour. That's just me though. Part of it was over apps and accessories- Seidio doesn't have a case out for it yet etc. I think the Tour will only get better with a few OS tweaks and (hopefully) doing something about the silly battery door fit.
    07-16-09 10:36 AM
    Great Wall-O-Text!!! Dude... what do you have against paragraphs? ... good post, but painful to read.

Depends. If you don't care about having the latest and greatest then the 8330 is a solid nearly bullet-proof device. Yes, as mentioned above it's showing it's age at this point but we'll be saying the same thing about the Tour in 3 or 4 years! I travel extensively and use my BB nearly non-stop daily (like many here). My Curve has been dropped, scratched, had coffee spilled on it etc. etc. and still flawlessly cranks out 40-60 e-mails a day along with multiple other tasks- doing so perfectly day in day out. Now, this is not to say the Tour wouldn't be doing the same (and doing it faster!) but, as seems to be the case with every new device from RIM lately, the 9630 is showing a few "wrinkles" that need to be ironed out. If you don't mind being one of the first wave of Tour buyers that may or may not have to deal with the occasional 9630 issue- go for it. You've got 30 days to make up your mind. I'm due for my upgrade and went down to my local dealer Tuesday to pick up a Tour to replace my Curve. The manager had 6 on the counter that he was setting up for a local business that was buying them. I asked him about the loose battery doors that have been an issue on some 9630's. Interestingly, all six of these phones has a moderate degree of slide and flex in the doors. I then played with a Tour that they had on display for 30 or 40 minutes. What a great phone! Significantly faster than the Curve with an awesome screen. I can type on the Curve without even looking at the keys but I struggled to type on the Tour. Probably would adjust to the keyboard difference in a few weeks I suspect. After it was all said and done, I personally decided to wait a few months before I take the plunge on a Tour. That's just me though. Part of it was over apps and accessories- Seidio doesn't have a case out for it yet etc. I think the Tour will only get better with a few OS tweaks and (hopefully) doing something about the silly battery door fit.
    07-16-09 10:40 AM
    Dude (OP) upgrade to the Tour, you'll regret it if you don't. It's already bothering you.
    07-16-09 10:47 AM
    I posted the following on the 8330 board...figured some here would want to know the rest of the story also....
    Thank you all for comments here pro and con. I especially wanted to know what those who loved their curves thought. In the end I did make the decision to upgrade immediately. I was on the HTC fence also, but only because the Verzion SA seemed to love that brand. I didnt' want to grow too attached to my Curve and felt if I didn't make the move the now I'd end up keeping it and I'd have to keep it for the next 24 months(contract). It was an add collect of $149 to move up. I figured...in two years that is about 20 cents a day...I guess I could afford that. In my limited experience I found...I''m adjusting to the Tour keyboard better, the display is brighter. Yes, the browser is a tad quicker. Some of the shortcuts are sweet too. I have none of the problems others have mentioned in the B***h threads. My Tour was made in Canada...no loose anything....all is good.
    07-17-09 10:32 PM
    I posted the following on the 8330 board...figured some here would want to know the rest of the story also....
    Thank you all for comments here pro and con. I especially wanted to know what those who loved their curves thought. In the end I did make the decision to upgrade immediately. I was on the HTC fence also, but only because the Verzion SA seemed to love that brand. I didnt' want to grow too attached to my Curve and felt if I didn't make the move the now I'd end up keeping it and I'd have to keep it for the next 24 months(contract). It was an add collect of $149 to move up. I figured...in two years that is about 20 cents a day...I guess I could afford that. In my limited experience I found...I''m adjusting to the Tour keyboard better, the display is brighter. Yes, the browser is a tad quicker. Some of the shortcuts are sweet too. I have none of the problems others have mentioned in the B***h threads. My Tour was made in Canada...no loose anything....all is good.

good deal enjoy! it happy you made the decision to go for it
    07-17-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD