Just received calls from several of our users who are all on a different BES. Had them change mobile network to 1X. None of the devices are unlocked, all have the standard Voda SIM. It shows "AT&T Vodafone" for network, able to get GSM also & send/receive SMS, calls, but no data.

Anyone heard of this issue?
    03-12-10 11:37 PM
    sounds like an error in the billing system, or maybe Verizon actually set up a roaming agreement with at&t for some reason?

Honestly i dont see why they dont do it, if they want to provide the best service why not set up roaming agreements with GSM carriers as well so everyone benefits.
    03-13-10 06:37 AM
    well this is pretty weird. never heard of that one before
    03-13-10 06:42 AM
    sounds like an error in the billing system, or maybe Verizon actually set up a roaming agreement with at&t for some reason?

Honestly i dont see why they dont do it, if they want to provide the best service why not set up roaming agreements with GSM carriers as well so everyone benefits.
    Because *I think* there aren't too many CDMA phones that can roam on GSM like the Tour can.
    Last edited by mike340t; 03-13-10 at 10:33 AM.
    03-13-10 10:29 AM
    I'm still in the dark about something. The Tour can roam on GSM but only overseas, is that not correct? I still can't figure out why if the phone is technologically capable to roam on a GSM network why it can't do so on domestic GSM networks. Or can it and I'm just missing something?
    03-13-10 01:23 PM
    It's blocked by the other carriers I think or the CDMA carriers so they don't have to pay roaming I'd guess.
    03-13-10 02:52 PM
    I had this same problem on my 9630 today, second time this week! Thanks, I thought it was just me. Both times it was when exiting the subway in NYC. In my case, was specifically "AT&T-Vodafone NL GSM." I have the SIM installed, but no intn'l roaming enabled, and not unlocked. Man, I wish I was in the Netherlands... So weird...
    03-16-10 09:43 PM
    I wish I could set up roaming on AT&T on just one area.
    03-17-10 12:13 AM
    I had this problem, too. But, my Tour is not on BES and is on Verizon. I would turn off all connections, but it wouldn't work. I always had to do a battery pull. So far, it seems like whatever the issue was, stopped. I've had this happen to me on 2 different Tours already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 04:12 PM
    Yeah, I had the same issue on Monday. Was visiting a friend in an area where the CDMA is pretty bad, along with a complete deadzone at the gate to the complex. Leaving everything on Global as always, usually it would just stay at CDMA with no bars when I hit the deadzone, then hit a few bars at 1X soon after.

On Monday, the deadzone immediately made the phone go to SOS mode, then switched to full bars EDGE on AT&T/Vodafone NL. Getting in the usual CDMA zone with signal, it just stayed on EGDE even when turning on and off the connection. I had to switch from Global to just CDMA to get back on the network...leaving it at that for now just in case.

I'm on BIS too. My Tour is unlocked and has International Roaming enabled too.

03-17-10 05:03 PM
    VZW has been no help with this issue shocker!
    03-20-10 12:15 AM
    This happened to me a long time ago, right after I got the Tour a bad storm had rolled thru town and I don't know if it knocked out the VZW tower or what, but I woke up and had a few texts and replied just fine, made some phone calls, then went to fire up the browser but there was no data connection, so I exited the browser and noticed that it said AT&T up on the top of the home screen then I went to the Mobile Network options and it indeed said AT&T-Vodaphone and I was like crap I'm gonna get charged roaming out the whazoo for this, and immediately turned off the connection and back on it went to SOS for a second and then back to AT&T so I had to set it to 1XEV and then finally after a battery pull it went back onto the Verizon network. But I looked on my bill and no roaming charges were ever assessed. But its been on 1XEV since then so I don't know if it would have happened again recently or not.

03-20-10 01:41 AM
    VZW has been no help with this issue shocker!
    I wouldn't expect to speak to anyone at VZW or any carrier to explain or know how a BB works let alone a multi-band phone like the Tour.. Maybe just turn off roaming or at least make sure Global is off so it can't access GSM? I always turn off roaming at work because for some reason my phone tries to roam on VZW even though I have just as good Sprint coverage...
    03-20-10 10:13 AM
    Because *I think* there aren't too many CDMA phones that can roam on GSM like the Tour can.
    while this is true, this would be an amazing selling point for the Tour/Storm series of phones... if you buy the blackberry Tour/Storm from us, you get EVEN MORE coverage than with our other phones..

that could be a cash cow for VZW considering they could sell more data packages to people that need that at&t or t-mobile coverage in one spot but VZW everywhere else (like me, VZW does not work in my house, but everywhere else)
    03-22-10 02:27 AM
    So...was anyone actually able to send/receive data or make/receive phone calls on AT&T's network?
    03-22-10 11:17 AM
    I wouldn't expect to speak to anyone at VZW or any carrier to explain or know how a BB works let alone a multi-band phone like the Tour.. Maybe just turn off roaming or at least make sure Global is off so it can't access GSM? I always turn off roaming at work because for some reason my phone tries to roam on VZW even though I have just as good Sprint coverage...
    uh ok except when this same situation happened to me, I called verizon and within 15 minutes he got it running again. this was after me trying every thing I know for a day, settings, battery pull etc...you act as if we are talking to cave men on the phone.
    03-23-10 03:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD