Ok so I am studying abroad in Italy this fall (far away, I know). I have a verizon tour and I was wondering what's the cheapest thing to do in regards of having a cell phone for 4 months in milan? Thank you.
    01-08-10 09:12 PM
    Depends whether you want data or not. Through VZW the rates per minute are what they are. YOu can have the device unlocked and buy a local SIM and get a better rate for phone calls, but research the cost of data, very expensive. Though VZW they remove your domestic data plan and add a global data plan at about $70 per month.

You start by looking at VZW GLOBAL for rates on data and phone calls.

Rate per minute from Italy is $1.29, if you add in the value plan at $4.99 per month, this drops the rate to .99 per minute.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-08-10 at 09:26 PM.
    01-08-10 09:23 PM
    Well, for voice/calls the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a SIM card from one of the net sellers all over the place.

Other than that, it depends because it seems that a lot of those SIM cards do not include data, so that would mean no email, bbm, etc. But some of those do include data service, you just have to do your research.

One of the more popular sellers is International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones

Nevermind the pre-paid 'phones,' just look under Prepaid SIM Cards
    01-08-10 09:25 PM
    A strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 09:39 PM
    While I can't help with your question, I wanted to say enjoy your studies and time in Milan. It is a great city from what I have heard.
    01-08-10 09:41 PM
    as of now im pretty sure i dont want/need data. Especially since it seems to be soo overpriced. Plus I will probably bring like an ipod touch or something with built in wifi with me so i can just use that if needed.
    01-08-10 09:43 PM

google mapped that. quite a long journey.

and also thanks for the best wishes. I cant wait wish it was this semester.
    01-08-10 09:45 PM
    Also i t has the vodafone sim card in it. I guessing that makes it compatible with vodaphone networks already? What kind of options does vodafone have
    01-08-10 10:01 PM
    Vodaphone owns part of VZW. They are the largest GSM carrier in Europe, I do believe that this SIM even unlocked will not work over there.
    01-08-10 10:04 PM
    Vodaphone owns part of VZW. They are the largest GSM carrier in Europe, I do believe that this SIM even unlocked will not work over there.
    And why should it not?? Isn't that the whole point for global phones purchased here?
    01-08-10 10:09 PM
    And why should it not?? Isn't that the whole point for global phones purchased here?
    I believe that the phone would still have to be unlocked. I will research it more when I have other resources available to me. It may say Vodaphone on it, but if it is not provisioned in the VZW systems it will not work over there as if it were bought locally.

If the device is unlocked, I still think it would not work. Vodaphone is more likely on the SIM card more for advertising. This is my guess.
    01-08-10 10:19 PM
    You're probably better off buying a sim card across the pond and getting service over their instead of paying big red all that coin they want,
    01-08-10 10:19 PM
    I believe that the phone would still have to be unlocked. I will research it more when I have other resources available to me. It may say Vodaphone on it, but if it is not provisioned in the VZW systems it will not work over there as if it were bought locally.

If the device is unlocked, I still think it would not work. Vodaphone is more likely on the SIM card more for advertising. This is my guess.
    Nope it's actually the real deal. Vzw has a special Global Support phone number (easy google search) where they set up your 'Global' plan. The only other requirement is to have them also unlock the Tour so that enables access to the SIM card/global plan. The whole point of using the Vodafone/Vzw supplied SIM card is so that once it is activated with a Global plan, the customer automatically retains his or her usual mobile phone # while abroad [as opposed to purchasing some pre-paid SIM card] along with a seamless transition into simply using an already [activated] global phone abroad, albeit at pretty high per-minute rates (see Verizon Global site)!

Also, using the Vodafone SIM installed in the Tour activated with Verizon's global plan would automatically include email, data, and BBM access, etc. Some have said that plan is about $70/month pro-rated over the course of your stay, Europe, South America, etc..
    01-08-10 10:42 PM
    Another issue would be in using the Verizon sim card, your phone number would still be US (I guess) and so if you gave it to locals, they would have to make international calls to call your phone. Then there is the 99 cents per minute charge for incoming/outgoing, although that same cost applies to calling to/from the US from Italy.
    01-08-10 11:13 PM

Rochelle, Rochelle!

01-09-10 10:23 AM
    Another issue would be in using the Verizon sim card, your phone number would still be US (I guess) and so if you gave it to locals, they would have to make international calls to call your phone. Then there is the 99 cents per minute charge for incoming/outgoing, although that same cost applies to calling to/from the US from Italy.
    If I read this correctly, yes the user still maintaines his US number, but the call from the US to him would be included in the us calling plan. The device in italy would incur the per minute charge.
    01-09-10 10:40 AM
    I think I meant: Italians calling the user would be calling the US number and therefore, Italians (other Europeans) would be making International calls.
    01-09-10 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD