Ive been reading about the many complaints people have with their Tours and 90%+ of them are OS related.

I wonder, why after having released the BOLD a good while back and, having had the time to polish the new interface that it came with, wouldnt RIM have extensively tested the OS on the TOUR prior to release, as to avoid all the problems they are likely going to confront over the next month or so (like countless returns)?

Ive had mine for less than a week, and I have no problems with it other than the screen just turning off followed by a reboot of the system every 5 or 6 hours
    07-22-09 11:05 PM
    buggy smartphone software is the "new reality" Jim Balsillie
    07-22-09 11:17 PM
    A: Palm, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Nokia.

Q: What are companies other than RIM that have released smartphones with buggy software?
    07-22-09 11:20 PM
    Wow, I see a solid OS with 2 hardware complaints. (Battery door and screen ripple).
    Only OS complaints I have is not perfect battery life and a little incompatability with older apps. For me both of those are reaches.
    Please be a bit more specific.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 11:20 PM
    For me the OS seems quite stable. I am just having poor call quality and dropped calls.

07-22-09 11:25 PM
    Mine is fine too!
    07-22-09 11:26 PM
    the OS would have something to do with my tour getting warm after like 2-3 minutes of use right?

07-22-09 11:29 PM
    Well, there is no doubt there are numerous complaints around this site about a buggy OS-just read around. The amount of issues regarding the trackball alone (which happens to not be an issue for me) I would think, would have been vetted out by RIM before they released the phone.
    07-22-09 11:31 PM
    Never had an issue with the OS or any of the hardware. My only complaints are no WiFi and long reboot time. Neither are a big deal to me.
    07-22-09 11:49 PM
    The only issue that I see with my Tour, and it doesn't really even bother me, is a slightly loose battery door. Other than that I have had no problems with the OS or any other hardware issues so far since I've had the phone. And I was the first person in the store on launch day.

I guess these issues are on a device by device basis and perhaps coverage area comes into play with some of the issues of dropping calls and non-consistent service for data.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OS wasn't perfect. Most of us if not all have seen or dealt with the Storm. I just think that, even with all the complaints out there, this is still a very solid device with more people loving it than not.

Remember one thing, a person who has absolutely no problems with their device is much less likely to post something negative. You will always see more bad than good on the forums.
    07-23-09 12:07 AM
    It seems like most of the complaints are coming from the Verizon Tours. I have a sprint version and don't have any of the problems listed throughout the forum. Does this have something to do with the fact that Verizon people got their phones first? I am very happy with my device and find it to be a solid and stable OS. I think all smartphones, by their nature, are initially launched with some bugs/quirks that need to be sorted out.
    07-23-09 02:15 AM
    Well RIM can product test until the product is obsolete and they won't find bugs like 500k users loading up all kinds of approved, non-approved, and leaked beta software do.

07-23-09 02:32 AM
    Wow, I see a solid OS with 2 hardware complaints. (Battery door and screen ripple).
    Only OS complaints I have is not perfect battery life and a little incompatability with older apps. For me both of those are reaches.
    Please be a bit more specific.

Trackball issues
    Phone overheating
    Phone still vibrating for emails, calls, etc. even after you set it to not vibrate
    Battery life issues
    Poor signal quality
    Muffled call quality
    Font problems with some emails

All of those could be OS-related.

Also, there are more than just the two hardware complaints your mentioned in your post. Lots of people are having problems with the headphone jack.

I can actually understand some of the OS-related problems, it's the hardware related problems, and how obvious they are, that really has me surprised. Did RIM/Verizon really do such a terrible job of testing the phone that they missed the obvious battery door, screen, and headphone jack problems?
    Last edited by vrs626; 07-23-09 at 05:15 AM.
    07-23-09 05:11 AM
    You obviously didn't have the Bold when it was first released. The OS on it was horrible. I am actually really happy with the Tour OS that it shipped with. Its miles ahead of where the Bold was on release.
    07-23-09 05:25 AM
    You obviously didn't have the Bold when it was first released. The OS on it was horrible. I am actually really happy with the Tour OS that it shipped with. Its miles ahead of where the Bold was on release.
    The Bold didn't have anywhere close to the same number of hardware issues that the Tour is having though.
    07-23-09 05:38 AM
    Trackball issues
    Phone overheating
    Phone still vibrating for emails, calls, etc. even after you set it to not vibrate
    Battery life issues
    Poor signal quality
    Muffled call quality
    Font problems with some emails

All of those could be OS-related.

Also, there are more than just the two hardware complaints your mentioned in your post. Lots of people are having problems with the headphone jack.

I can actually understand some of the OS-related problems, it's the hardware related problems, and how obvious they are, that really has me surprised. Did RIM/Verizon really do such a terrible job of testing the phone that they missed the obvious battery door, screen, and headphone jack problems?
    I have not experienced one of the issues you listed.
    07-23-09 06:15 AM
    I have lagging and heating up right now. everything else seems ok. battery door was loose but i fixed it.
    07-23-09 06:25 AM
    It seems like most of the complaints are coming from the Verizon Tours. I have a sprint version and don't have any of the problems listed throughout the forum. Does this have something to do with the fact that Verizon people got their phones first? I am very happy with my device and find it to be a solid and stable OS. I think all smartphones, by their nature, are initially launched with some bugs/quirks that need to be sorted out.
    I'm with Sprint and my first Tour was a dud. Replacement is better, but signal is still worse than a Curve. Idk if this is an OS prob or hardware.

07-23-09 07:22 AM
    Weird... It seems like most of the issues I've read about the Tour are on Sprint ones. Maybe it's because verizon got their first so more people were posting issues the first couple of days.

Either way, OS seems fine to me. I'm not even experiencing half of the issues people are having.

07-23-09 08:24 AM
    Doubt its just the verizon tours, its that there are more verizon people chiming in.

07-23-09 08:41 AM
    Well RIM can product test until the product is obsolete and they won't find bugs like 500k users loading up all kinds of approved, non-approved, and leaked beta software do.

Going off of what skyboxer said here, they test the phones hardware and software with a small group of people and work out the bugs they find. But certain bugs that take a certain way or path to reproduce it will only happen with a broader general public to test it. I've had no issues with my tour. I've noticed a few bugs here and there but its nothing to deter me from my sexy tour. Future OS updates will only make it better!

07-23-09 09:18 AM
    Going off of what skyboxer said here, they test the phones hardware and software with a small group of people and work out the bugs they find. But certain bugs that take a certain way or path to reproduce it will only happen with a broader general public to test it. I've had no issues with my tour. I've noticed a few bugs here and there but its nothing to deter me from my sexy tour. Future OS updates will only make it better!

Ya that's what I meant!

07-23-09 09:54 AM
    Every new phone has issues. Look even the new iphone 3gs which basically a carbon copy of the original is having problems.. All new smart phones have issues.
    07-23-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD