Not sure if this was touched on, but I am extremely surprised and very happy.

Having had the storm, I adjusted the Torx screw on it for corner/edge clicking. Well, my tour had a fair amount of ripple in the corners when pushing the trackball and end buttons. I looked at my coworkers today and saw that his had some, but not as much as mine so I decided to try something. First off, I noticed that with the battery cover off I could put a little pressure in certain spots on back and stop the ripple effect from button pushing. I removed the 4 torx screws on back and found that one of them (upper right) was a little stripped or generally tough to get out. When I pulled all 4 out, I made sure to move this one to the bottom and a better one to the top. Much to my surprise, I have all but eliminated the ripple from pushing any of my buttons. I mean I really really have to look to see anything. I also notice my trackball does click more firmly. I have never had an issue with the trackball, but I did notice this.

Now, I am not saying that everyone has a stripped torx screw or that you should even touch any of them, but for those that have the ripple, you may want to swap them around and see what happens.

I had first tried tightening and loosing them, but it did not fix everything.
    07-24-09 12:56 AM
    good to kno. ever since ppl posted that tour screen ripples i notice my screen ripple every single time. will mayb try this if all doesnt turn out well. thanks.
    07-24-09 01:13 AM
    i just did this now,screen ripple is gone.i didn't seem like any of the screws were stipped so i just tightened them down and it went away.didn't notice any difference in the trackball though,none the less good find mjs31.
    07-24-09 04:15 AM
    Yup I had done this already and it worked for me aswell

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 04:51 AM
    Oh gawd, Storm flashback.

Thanks tho, good tip to know and keep on hand!
    07-24-09 05:22 AM
    Awesome, this has fixed my screen ripple too! If anyone needed to know the size of the screwdriver, it's a T6.
    07-24-09 05:52 AM
    Hey, I only have 3 torx screws in mine. The one in the upper right is missing. There's a white covering at the bottom of the screw hole instead of a screw. I guess it's time to send this puppy back.

07-24-09 06:00 AM
    so wait what do we do about the white covering?
    07-24-09 06:03 AM
    Did people move the screws around or just tighten them?

07-24-09 06:13 AM
    Good work. My screen doesn't have any ripples though
    07-24-09 06:20 AM
    Hey, I only have 3 torx screws in mine. The one in the upper right is missing. There's a white covering at the bottom of the screw hole instead of a screw. I guess it's time to send this puppy back.

The white tab is covering the screw. So if it's missing they know you messed with the phone (voids warranty). On the Storm thread with the torx screw fix, someone suggested taking a safety pin and opening it (straight pin or sewing needle works too) and gently lift off the white paper with that. Set aside where it's safe. Gently put back on when done. Operative word is 'gentle'. It rips or folds easily.
    07-24-09 06:32 AM
    Not sure if this was touched on, but I am extremely surprised and very happy.

Having had the storm, I adjusted the Torx screw on it for corner/edge clicking. Well, my tour had a fair amount of ripple in the corners when pushing the trackball and end buttons. I looked at my coworkers today and saw that his had some, but not as much as mine so I decided to try something. First off, I noticed that with the battery cover off I could put a little pressure in certain spots on back and stop the ripple effect from button pushing. I removed the 4 torx screws on back and found that one of them (upper right) was a little stripped or generally tough to get out. When I pulled all 4 out, I made sure to move this one to the bottom and a better one to the top. Much to my surprise, I have all but eliminated the ripple from pushing any of my buttons. I mean I really really have to look to see anything. I also notice my trackball does click more firmly. I have never had an issue with the trackball, but I did notice this.

Now, I am not saying that everyone has a stripped torx screw or that you should even touch any of them, but for those that have the ripple, you may want to swap them around and see what happens.

I had first tried tightening and loosing them, but it did not fix everything.
    Did you have the white cover in the bottom of one of the screw holes? If you did, what did you do with it?
    07-24-09 07:07 AM
    Don't take your phone back!
    The screw is under the white sticker!
    wow.
    07-24-09 08:08 AM
    Don't take your phone back!
    The screw is under the white sticker!
    wow.
    wow is correct.
    07-24-09 08:19 AM
    Oh gawd, Storm flashback.

Thanks tho, good tip to know and keep on hand!
    ME TOO!!!! nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! (echoing)

But can't wait to get home and tinker with it! The store turned me away yesterday for the ripple. The floors models exhibited none, but the tech lady's phone had the ripple so she concluded it wasn't a flaw. doh! If this doesn't work it's on to the next store

Thanks!
    07-24-09 08:25 AM
    I tightened the one behind the end key.........and was able to get 3/4 of a turn without putting any strain on it.......IT WORKED!!
    07-24-09 08:38 AM
    So all we do is go around and tighten the screws? correct?
    What kind of freaking QC does RIM have, God.
    07-24-09 08:47 AM
    Did you have the white cover in the bottom of one of the screw holes? If you did, what did you do with it?
    Guess I didn't 'splain it well enough above?
    So:
    Take a look here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/sc...rx-fix-109036/

First post. See items 3 and 4 on how to handle the white paper sticker. Take the open safety pin/sewing needle/straight pin and gently pry the edge of the white sticker loose. Gently. Slide needle under sticker gently. Lift gently. Don't poke at it. It tears easily. It flips and folds easily. Set it loosely on something like wax paper, partially on the edge of a shelf, a waxy paper plate, something it won't readily adhere to and you can lift it off easily again. Don't set it on another piece of paper, it will stick to it. If you do it this way you can get that white sticker off and back on again and it won't be noticeable that it was removed and replaced.

**Note that is for the Storm (same sticker deal tho), so be sure you are using the right size Torx screw driver for the Tour. (Saw it posted somewhere here and can't find it now.) Torx drivers sets can be had at Home Depot, I got a nice set there for about $6. Think some got theirs at Lowe's and Radio Shack too. Or online.
    07-24-09 09:51 AM
    Yeah that's what I wanna know...is this about tightening the screws or loosening the screws?
    I think Storm is loosening the screws and Tour is tightening the screws? that is what I gathered so far but someone else can confirm.

Im not gonna mess around w my luck I'll rip that paper. I'll just return it to store. Actually, better yet, you could probably take this instructions to Sprint repair center and they'll probably do it for free w/o you being liable for void of warranty!
    07-24-09 10:07 AM
    Loosen them in small increments. Preferably the ones next to where the screen is. There extremely tight.
    07-24-09 10:08 AM
    Interesting. When I went and checked my torx screws, they were all nice and tight. I only had screen ripple in the lower right corner, so I loosened that screw a little and that fixed it. Great info!

Word of note on the little white sticker....DO NOT get it wet. Its a moisture sticker and if it gets wet, it turns RED and in essence will void your warrenty.
    07-24-09 10:26 AM
    Guess I didn't 'splain it well enough above?
    So:
    Take a look here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/sc...rx-fix-109036/

First post. See items 3 and 4 on how to handle the white paper sticker. Take the open safety pin/sewing needle/straight pin and gently pry the edge of the white sticker loose. Gently. Slide needle under sticker gently. Lift gently. Don't poke at it. It tears easily. It flips and folds easily. Set it loosely on something like wax paper, partially on the edge of a shelf, a waxy paper plate, something it won't readily adhere to and you can lift it off easily again. Don't set it on another piece of paper, it will stick to it. If you do it this way you can get that white sticker off and back on again and it won't be noticeable that it was removed and replaced.

**Note that is for the Storm (same sticker deal tho), so be sure you are using the right size Torx screw driver for the Tour. (Saw it posted somewhere here and can't find it now.) Torx drivers sets can be had at Home Depot, I got a nice set there for about $6. Think some got theirs at Lowe's and Radio Shack too. Or online.
    Thanks.

I'm of half a mind (an improvement over normal, believe me...) to just take this back. With my luck, I'd muck the sticker up and void my warranty. But, what the heck, it's only $$$$.
    07-24-09 10:35 AM
    my tour was really bad, but over the last week ive noticed its become much better - i tightened the 3 exposed screws, with almost no adjustment needed, and left the 4th alone, i dont feel like dealing with it since the other 3 were tight and the issue is pretty much gone on its own...
    07-24-09 10:47 AM
    Awesome, this has fixed my screen ripple too! If anyone needed to know the size of the screwdriver, it's a T6.
    Thanks. Forgot to put the T6 in there. Actually had to end up with a T7 to get that one screw it.
    07-24-09 01:42 PM
    Yeah that's what I wanna know...is this about tightening the screws or loosening the screws?
    I actually first tried tightening them all. This did not help to much. For me, I took them all out and swapped a couple around. For some reason this did the trick. Probably cause I had a bad one (so to speak)
    07-24-09 01:44 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD