Why did they put a slower processor than on the bold?
    This has spawned countless threads. Please check this post for all of them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/to...2/#post3023501
    07-12-09 09:17 PM
    Because the Bold is the higher performance device. I don't think the purpose of the 9630 was to compete with 9000, but to provide CDMA with a near-equivalent to 9000 (which only GSM)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wait... what would you know anyways! You are a woman! LOL LOL LOL

Let me be very clear here... JK ok?

I wish I knew half of what you do...
    07-12-09 09:19 PM
    i never even used the wifi on my bold when i had it so that makes tour = win for me = )
    I travel a lot internationally for biz and this is why wifi is important. At any wifi hotspot in the world (airports, hotels, bars, restaurants, etc..) You don't have to pay extra for your local carriers international data plan or unlock ur phone and get a local sim. You simply turn all mobile networks off, turn on wifi and presto...u can push/send/receive emails all day. It is great. Love the bold!

07-12-09 09:22 PM
    Wow Sal! That's pretty "BOLD" of you...

(silence of the crowd)

07-12-09 09:26 PM
    yeah, you can use the Tour ANYWHERE in the world and still be able to get on the internet, do e-mailing or whatever you wish to do. The only thing wifi is good for is if you live in an area where you don't get a very good signal which can slow down your internet speed some, so people with wifi can still load pages faster if they have wifi in a low area signal, but if you have a good signal where you live and where you go, you don't need wifi at all, the pages on the internet will load just as fast. Verizon has extreamly good coverage so no need for wifi
    verizon is a CDMA network = does not allow for simultaneous voice and data

having wifi would allow for data while being on the phone with a CDMA carrier

this is the main reason for wanting wifi
    07-12-09 09:36 PM
    I don't know much more than you do mon ami!

More, and you also speak french... I clearly don't! LOL
    07-12-09 10:20 PM
    Oui, je peut parler en francais!

I win again!!!!

Well that is not good french! And I didn't realize how big of a competition I got into... Ok... ok... from now on I'm only gonna post things that will put me on top
    07-12-09 10:25 PM
    07-12-09 10:31 PM
    I travel a lot internationally for biz and this is why wifi is important. At any wifi hotspot in the world (airports, hotels, bars, restaurants, etc..) You don't have to pay extra for your local carriers international data plan or unlock ur phone and get a local sim. You simply turn all mobile networks off, turn on wifi and presto...u can push/send/receive emails all day. It is great. Love the bold!

Hi. I was wondering if you can turn off your mobile service and still use wifi as my phone only uses wifi if other services are on. If I turn them off and turn wifi on, it doesn't work. How do you make it work. Also, is there a setting to keep wifi as primary access point and 3G as secondary; my carrier provides a maximum of 20MB/Month so I would like to minimize non wifi data usage. Thanks.

Last edited by hassan210977; 07-12-09 at 10:48 PM.
    07-12-09 10:43 PM
    Hi. I was wondering if you can turn off your mobile service and still use wifi as my phone only uses wifi if other services are on. If I turn them off and turn wifi on, it doesn't work. How do you make it work. Also, is there a setting to keep wifi as primary access point and 3G as secondary; my carrier provides a maximum of 20MB/Month so I would like to minimize non wifi data usage. Thanks.

Yes. I just turned off my mobile network (mobile radio says off. No 3G, no EDGE.just off). My wifi is still on and I am now replying to this thread/post. Also under manage connections it says

Mobile Network: off
    BIS: wifi
    BES: wifi

I can browse/surf and send and receive emails without a mobile network on wifi! This is great for international travel since most places have wifi and u don't need to pay for an intl data plan or unlock and get a local sim card. I just turn my mobile radio off and roll with FREE wifi to push all my emails.

FYI...if wifi is on, it by default if my phone's connection type for BIS and BES.

07-13-09 05:44 AM
    Yes. I just turned off my mobile network (mobile radio says off. No 3G, no EDGE.just off). My wifi is still on and I am now replying to this thread/post. Also under manage connections it says

Mobile Network: off
    BIS: wifi
    BES: wifi

I can browse/surf and send and receive emails without a mobile network on wifi! This is great for international travel since most places have wifi and u don't need to pay for an intl data plan or unlock and get a local sim card. I just turn my mobile radio off and roll with FREE wifi to push all my emails.

FYI...if wifi is on, it by default if my phone's connection type for BIS and BES.

Oh, I see what you mean. Mine works if everything is off and wifi is on. I was hoping that it would work if the phone is on, but only Data Services were off (in Mobile Network Options).

As for wifi being default, when I am in a wifi area, my phone still uses 3G; so I am unable to view videos on youtube, etc unless I go to options, advanced, browser. And set default to hotspot browser; which of course I have to change if I am away from wifi zone. Is this normal

Thanks

07-13-09 08:51 AM
    I went into Verizon today to test drive the Tour and I have to be honest; I like the bold better. The keyboard on the Bold is bigger so in my opinion better and also the trackball on the tour seems SUPER tiny and OVER-recessed.

Spec wise...the tour is a better phone. However in my opinion, the bold is the better phone for me due to reasons that are primarily cosmetic
    07-13-09 06:12 PM
    Dear CBs:

I am unclear on how to use Wifi Vs. Other Data. Becuase we don't have unlimited data plan through STC, I want to use Wifi whenever possible. However, if I set the default browser as Hotspot, I cannot access many of the launch icons, such as CB. When I do, it gives me a message stating that this is a Wifi service. However, if I set the default browser to Internet, then it works, but doesn't use Wifi. Please advise.

Thanks

Hassan

07-15-09 04:03 PM
    Verizon has superior coverage everywhere it seems, except where I live, much to my chagrin. I have zero problems with AT&T, Tmo not great but my 8900 has UMA. Held a Tour for the first time today and it's a cool looking BB. Just don't trust it to be what it's supposed to be after all is said and done, a PHONE!!! (Reception on my Storm was horrific.) I live in Central NJ, btw.
    07-15-09 04:49 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD