I have been following the list of problems faced by those who purchased early post-release models of the Tour such as track ball, screen ripple, bluetooth, earphone jack, battery life, etc. I was determined to wait until the usual startup problem phase is completed before upgrading from my current 8833 to the Tour. Does our community think that this problem phase is over and I can expect to avoid all these early problems? If not, how much longer should I wait? Can anyone suggest up to which device production date should I avoid? Is there any FAQ or other thread that tracks the progress on these problems/ (Sticky has what he calls the Tour FAQ. However, that does not appear to have been updated since before the official release of the Tour.) Also, when I do get the Tour, is there any OS update that I should install? Any hints on avoiding problems in transferring the contents of my current 8833 to the Tour?
    Thanks to all
    Steve
    10-18-09 11:12 AM
    I bought the day it dropped, and it was safe then!

Stop waiting and go get one!

There's a 5.0 OS out, but it's not official so----install at own risk.

There are no problems in transferring the contents, it works flawlessly!
    10-18-09 11:14 AM
    I would say that the Tour has been a good phone from the release. There was once another thread like this that quickly turned ugly. Users across the board are experiencing different issues with their Tour's. This isnt to say you will or wont.

The newer builds have a much better trackball, and the battery doors feel like they stay in place more. Other issues cant be controlled, like the screen ripples and such.

Overall, I would say that I would recommend a Tour to any of my friends, so I would mark it safe, others may not agree.

Luckily, you always have your 30 day trial period, so if the phone is not for you, it can be returned!
    10-18-09 11:17 AM
    I picked up one last week and other than the inability to join phone calls, it has been a solid device.
    10-18-09 11:31 AM
    I picked up one last week and other than the inability to join phone calls, it has been a solid device.
    You can do that? Like 3 way calling? Didn't know that
    10-18-09 11:34 AM
    With any new product your going to get a ton of good and bad reviews. I've had a Tour since they came out (mine even has the defective trackball) and I love it. I've been playing with the leaked OS's and all I can say I thought the phone was great before the software upgrade, and i'm really loving it after. If you've waited this long you might want to wait another few months for a phone with Wi-Fi, the Tours lack-there-of is my only real complaint about the device.
    10-18-09 11:37 AM
    I went from the crappy storm to the tour and I have to say that it was the best move that I ever made. I was really sorry that I gave up my dare to get the storm. I had the storm replaced 3 times when verizon finally offered to send me the tour for free. hesitant that this would be the same as the storm, I was very shocked at how great it really was. You will always have some kind of an issue with new phones but this one is really worth it.
    10-18-09 12:27 PM
    Picked up the Tour pretty early and had the trackball problem, muffled calls problem (none of the other problems). Traded it twice...have had my current Tour for just about a month now with fairly heavy use with no problems to report! Go get one! There's normally a 30-day exchange policy anyway (at least Verizon has this...)

Come into the light, Carol Anne

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 12:33 PM
    Yes its very safe to buy..always has been..rim,sprint and verizon are great outfits to be with..you wont regret it..even with no wifi..!
    10-18-09 12:35 PM
    My husband and I have had ours for a week now. I went from a curve, and he went from a pearl to the tour. We're both very happy with the upgrade.
    10-18-09 12:36 PM
    Don't listen to all the negative hype yherman. This is an excellent device and I have not had a regret yet. I've had mine since the middle of August with no problems. We have six of them at work and the only problem so far is because of ignorant users who think it is a replacement for their laptop.
    10-18-09 12:41 PM
    All the problems have ben took care of its safe. I have actually had my tour since late july with a july 14th build and i havent had 1 problem. The screen ripple is nothing i really dont understand why people ***** about that you got str8 press the screen 4 a screen ripple but why would you touch the screen its not a touch screen uno.
    10-18-09 03:26 PM
    You can do that? Like 3 way calling? Didn't know that
    3 way calling is carrier specific, not neccessarily device specific.
    10-18-09 03:33 PM
    Yes yherman....it is "safe" Dont read too much into all of the negativity. I have had mine since it dropped and couldnt be happier. I have had NO issues AT ALL. Get one now.
    10-18-09 03:40 PM
    My girlfriend and I got our Tours last week. She had an old Motorola phone, I had a Curve 8310. We are both VERY happy with the Tour.
    10-18-09 03:52 PM
    I got mine 9-27 and replaced it this weekend after 2 days of trying with customer service to have it connect with desktop manager. It wouldn't see my calendar anymore and then finally gave some error. CS told me to replace it. It wasn't a big deal at all. Yes, my old one had a loose back cover, but my case covered that anyway. I had everything backed up, and my outlook calendar was intact-so I just reinstalled everything and was back in business. It is a great phone, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get it now. If this one has a problem, no harm/no foul. They make good on replacing, so I don't really see what the big deal is (and I drive 40miles one way for my closest store!) Get it and enjoy!
    10-18-09 07:34 PM
    Absolutely! I went from Palm 680 to Samsung EPIX to the Tour. It is the most stable and reliable smartphone I've ever owned. This is one solid device that blows the competition away.
    10-18-09 07:50 PM
    This is the greatest phone I've ever owned. The storm literally ruined my day week after week..it was a hindrance in my life and seriously caused added stress..the tour is a God send for both business and "time killing"
    Its lightning fast, tons of memory, hi-res, and does everything I need and then a lot more. I will not be returning to a touch screen phone anytime soon...that's for da*n sure.
    The Tour is the greatest Berry. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 08:29 PM
    I am wondering if I might have a muffled call issue. Trying to find a thread on it to see if their symptoms match mine.

I can be talking to someone and they hear me clearly and suddenly, they say I go far away for a couple seconds and then it comes back loud and clear.

This has happened while sitting in one spot on my couch, while walking through the grocery store, while getting into my car, and while walking up to my front door from my driveway. Those are the few instances I've noticed just since yesterday.
    10-18-09 08:56 PM
    I feel the same as other posters. I'm very happy with my Tour (also came from Storm). I exchanged my phone twice within the 30 day period due to trackball problem/very loose batter door. I've had my current phone for almost two months now and it's been just rock solid.

I suspect most of the trackball and other issues have been worked out with newer builds but nobody can promise anything. Even though I went through two phones, I'd still recommend this phone to anybody. I'm really enjoying it especially with the 5.0 Hybrid I have running on it!
    10-18-09 09:27 PM
    I've had mine since late Sept and it works perfectly.
    10-18-09 09:30 PM
    I bought mine 2 weeks ago now and I've had no problems even did the update the other night and it's all good. I worried about getting a bad one but everyone I know who has gotten one has said theirs is fine.
    10-18-09 09:31 PM
    I have had my Tour since August 20th and I have not had any trouble or problems with it.
    10-18-09 09:34 PM
    Generally, the people with issues are the only ones you ever hear from. That's why many people come to this site. They can readily get information without doing their own research or reading the owners manual. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the good Tours far out number the bad Tours.

IMO, now that BlackBerry is really strong in the consumer market(non-business), more people are getting them without having the first clue as to how they operate. I've had one since 2003 and never really had an issue with one that wasn't my fault or couldn't be worked out. Yeah, you have to start somewhere, but the Tour is a very powerful device in such a relatively small package for a newbie. It's obvious when people come here to slam them without ever taking the time to understand how they operate. Then they go return them.

There's always going to be lemons, but many times it's user error. I'm not necessarily talking about the battery door or trackball, though I got mine about 3 weeks after release and haven't had the first issue. Posters who come here and claim that they've returned 3, 5 or 7 Tours throws up a red flag, IMO.
    10-18-09 11:11 PM
    Coming from a Curve I was really happy with this device. Faster, more on-board memory, etc. There have been a few glitches, but over all I would recommend this to anyone.

Having said that, you may want to wait for the next version of this device to drop because it will have WiFi. That would really make this a fantastic phone.

Good luck!
    10-18-09 11:38 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD