so i wanted my sprint tour to look like the verizon tour. i ordered the titanium bezel from cnn.cn and it arrived GREAT! i just got my tour replaced TODAY due to a faulty track ball so i have a brand new tour

i figured there were numerous pictures and videos that showed how to teardown the phone so i thought it was going to be a piece of cake! my first problem were the t7 screws. I had to force some of them out, not that big of a deal i thought.. i didn't really think anything of it. i took the whole thing apart, changed the bezel and put everything back EXCEPT the two little connector buttons that are underneath the lock/standby keys were still on the sprint bezel. ARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! now mind you due to the fact that some of t7 screws were semi-messed up while i was taking the phone apart. I totally screwed them up rendering them useless to unscrew while putting the phone back together.

i can't take the phone apart again to correct that problem nor can i put back the sprint bezel if i wanted to take the phone back to the store! so basically i am left with a titanium sprint tour with non functioning top buttons and a VOIDED WARRANTY!

if you are going to be changing the bezel on your tour PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!
    07-29-09 12:09 AM
    All I can say is WOW. I just bought some nice designed cases from cellbatt.com for really cheap. I learned my lesson changing housings on my Curve when after the 4th time the head set jack died.
    07-29-09 12:19 AM
    i also stopped modding my bb's after the curve
    07-29-09 12:27 AM
    The REAL lesson here is to use the RIGHT, QUALITY tools for the job. No reason those screws should have got screwed.... At least you learned your lesson!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 12:50 AM
    The REAL lesson here is to use the RIGHT, QUALITY tools for the job. No reason those screws should have got screwed.... At least you learned your lesson!

you are right about that. i was using a cheap $7 kobalt from homedepot.. i used it to take apart my touch pro numerous times with no problems..
    07-29-09 12:59 AM
    U paid far too much for that phone to take a chance like that not to mention u had never taken apart a Tour before. I feel bad for u though. Next time don't take a chance like that on a brand new phone.
    07-29-09 01:26 AM
    Sorry to hear and good luck to you

07-29-09 01:39 AM
    This is the very reason why i still refuse to modify my phones. I hope you find a way to fix it.
    07-29-09 02:08 AM
    Well, I think the lesson is research research research, it was 2 weeks of reading before I opened my 8900 up, and that's because the cnn.cn bezel took that long to come...

07-29-09 02:27 AM
    if you are going to be changing the bezel on your tour PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!
    I thought that would have been obvious from the start... I mean you are taking the phone APART.
    07-29-09 03:59 AM
    I agree Dan. Every since I saw they have a black bezel I wanted to pick it up for the same reasons as the OP but I don't want to screw up a two week old phone.
    07-29-09 05:39 AM
    I thought that would have been obvious from the start... I mean you are taking the phone APART.
    So you have never tried something you haven't done before, or something you are not TOTALLY comfortable with? Bet you're just a ball of fun.

OP: Good luck fixing it.
    07-29-09 05:53 AM
    So you have never tried something you haven't done before, or something you are not TOTALLY comfortable with? Bet you're just a ball of fun.
    Not on something brand new that would 100% void my warranty... no.

Darwin has his ways, I guess.
    07-29-09 06:21 AM
    Wow, sorry this went so far south for you.

BTW, I thought those screws are T6's.
    They are also #4-40x.135 panheads, same as the storm.
    Get a small EZout and some new screws?

07-29-09 06:43 AM
    Im sure after reading this, some of us will think twice before trying to open up their phones.
    Sorry to hear about your mishap and good luck

07-29-09 06:51 AM

Nah, T6... dude fixed it with a T7 and that's just cause he didn't have any T9s around
    07-29-09 07:01 AM

can you please tell me more about this EZout.. i thought about getting some new screws but i don't really know how i would get the worn-out screws out.
    07-29-09 07:31 AM
    It's not always the one holding the screwdriver.
    I had a screw break off in my Curve.
    While I was gently unscrewing it.
    I went very slowly.
    Darn thing just snapped in half.
    07-29-09 07:41 AM
    can you please tell me more about this EZout.. i thought about getting some new screws but i don't really know how i would get the worn-out screws out.
    Go to a mom and pop hardware store, or an ACE, or if there are any machine shops around you, that would work too. Take your phone and show them the screws, not as bad as you think.

If you do try to do this yourself, make sure the ezout is all the way into the head of the screw before you try to get it out, you only have one or two really good shots at this, much more then that and you will have a pretty big chocolate mess on your hands.

Write down the screw size, you should be able to find some of those too.
    The head type is not as critical as the size, (so a phillips head will hold your phone together).
    If you look online, you should be able to come up with an exact match.
    While you are out, get a T6 bit...
    07-29-09 07:57 AM
    I feel your pain. When the Bold housing first starting coming out I cracked my LCD in mine taking it apart and making the screen totally useless. I actually sent it off to someone on another forum to fix it, which they did thankfully!
    07-29-09 08:13 AM
    Wow, really sorry to hear that.
    The best of luck to you.

I really wanted to do something with my Tour eventually.
    That was a big part of why I loved my Curve so much.
    Other than the reliability, I had it customized to look exactly how I wanted it to.
    I didn't even do to much to it but I loved the way it looked. When I went to get my Tour the VZW sales rep ended up passing it around behind the counter so everyone could have a look.

Wish Colorware wasn't so expensive.
    07-29-09 08:18 AM
    i bought a housing kit off ebay for my Curve and it came with tools...those tools are what i used to take my Tour apart, which i have done numerous times already...it's not always the tools...it's also the user...if you are in a hurry and don't take ur time to do it right you can run in to problems...and when you realized you messed up the screws, you shouldn't have put them back in the phone. If you ever start to strip a screw, you need to replace it instead of risking the chance
    07-29-09 08:57 AM
    This wouldn't have been a problem is the right screwdriver was used from the beginning. A little patience would have helped too.

I got my "cell phone tool kit" on ebay for $5, and have never broken or stripped a screw, so you don't have to go spend $10 per driver...
    07-29-09 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD