Just now noticed this. I don't use the convenience keys a great deal and when I have, I've only used the left one.

I press the right one and nothing happens. I went into options>screen/keyboard and made sure I had something selected and it was the default/camera choice, but the camera didn't come up when I pressed that key. I switched it to a few other choices and then try the key and nothing works.

The left one works just fine. Am I missing something?
    08-08-09 10:59 AM
    Sounds like a hardware issue. I'd take it back to Verizon and see if they will replace it.
    08-08-09 11:03 AM
    Just now noticed this. I don't use the convenience keys a great deal and when I have, I've only used the left one.

I press the right one and nothing happens. I went into options>screen/keyboard and made sure I had something selected and it was the default/camera choice, but the camera didn't come up when I pressed that key. I switched it to a few other choices and then try the key and nothing works.

The left one works just fine. Am I missing something?
    The right side one is a little more recessed. I used to think the same thing, but noticed i wasn't pushing squarely on the button. Push it in a little further and it should work, unless it's really defective.
    08-08-09 11:03 AM
    The right side one is a little more recessed. I used to think the same thing, but noticed i wasn't pushing squarely on the button. Push it in a little further and it should work, unless it's really defective.
    I pressed it in pretty hard and nothing happens. The only thing the button will do is bring the phone back "live" if the screen is dark. Other than that, it doesn't work as a convenience key.
    08-08-09 11:09 AM
    Hmmm...sounds like a hardware issue to me. Are you at least feeling the double press action of the right side convenience key?
    08-08-09 11:13 AM
    Well, I finally got it to work, but you have to hit it just right. I can press it 10 times and it works about half the time.

I do feel the double-press action that you're referring to.
    08-08-09 12:06 PM
    The truth of the matter is that when you press it softly it will autofocus your camera, white square turns ti green and then press it in hard and it will take the pic.

Alternative you can open the camera from the apps screen and press in the right side key and again softly it will autofocus while holding it in and then when you have green click the trackball to snap the pic, that iswhat I do.

08-08-09 06:53 PM
    It's also worth noting that when you want to launch the camera with the right convenience key, you have to push it to the second click. Pushing the button lightly to the first click doesn't do anything. Not on mine, anyway...
    08-08-09 06:56 PM
    It's also worth noting that when you want to launch the camera with the right convenience key, you have to push it to the second click. Pushing the button lightly to the first click doesn't do anything. Not on mine, anyway...
    I thought I gave a very complete explanation about that in my first post.
    08-08-09 07:02 PM
    Definately worth noting... It won't launch anything on the "lighter" push, you need to hit that second spot to open the camera (or do whatever you might have programmed it to do.
    08-08-09 07:07 PM
    To run the self-test select Options from the home screen and then select Status. On the Status screen type in the word test and then from the menu on the Device Self Test Application screen, select Start. The self-test will begin and you'll get the results that tell you if there are any problems with your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 07:52 PM
    my first tour I had the same problem with the right conv key. I would have to press down on it harder for it to work. I am now on my 3rd tour and this time I noticed that the trackball works fine up and down but not side to side. hhm i did a little more research on it... Results? No. But then when I messed with the trackball, I noticed that if you GENTLY scroll without pressing down on it... it works like a champ! but ehhh screw that it should work regardless... this one is going to the vzw store tomorrow.
    08-08-09 08:23 PM
    I returned one Tour because of the right side key issue, it's very annoying that they made so difficult to press. Jaguarr40 thanks for making sense out of this mess, RIM tried too hard here, they should have kept it simple and not tried to make the right convenience key act like a point and shoot shutter. User's of the quick key expect them to react like a hair trigger, this to me is one of the biggest design blunders with this phone.

Keep this in mind before you waste your time going to Verizon for an exchange, I thought it was a physical defect and not a deliberate design feature.
    08-10-09 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD