I went into a corporate store to replace my phone, due to an ailing trackball. (I know, I know, enough posts about that...) The transaction went smoothly for the most part, until I was asked to give them my email/BIS username/password. I was surprised that they were asking me for such a thing, but they said they need to setup the BIS email account on my phone to send a test email before they are allowed to give me the new (replacement) phone. I told them I was not going to give out my password, to which they replied "I could care less about your password, and we are going to shred the paper after we are done." This was still unacceptable to me. There is NO reason to give my password to anyone. I kindly asked for my device so that _I_ could put my BIS username and password in the email setup program, so that after I log in, it will prompt me to change the device PIN associated with the account... which it did, and my email accounts (service books) appeared on the phone (I have done this procedure before, I know how it works). There were 3 techs behind the counter at this point, and all of them seemed to think that they needed to setup a new account. (This would have left my old BIS account associated with my old PIN, and all of my email accounts pointing towards it. Who knows where this would have ended up after my device worked itself through the refurb process). I can't believe that this is the SOP (standard operating procedure).

After this, they sent their test email, and released the phone to me.

Just wanted to share this with all of you in case you run into this situation when replacing your phone, should you need to. Bottom line; there is NO reason to give your password to a VZW employee.
    08-01-09 01:44 PM
    They need to do a device switch on your blackberry online account. It updates the PIN and MEID so you can continue to get your emails, etc.
    08-01-09 01:48 PM
    I believe the SOP is supposed to be them setting up your e-mail but asking YOU to key in your password. Anyone from VZW care to respond?
    08-01-09 01:51 PM
    They need to do a device switch on your blackberry online account. It updates the PIN and MEID so you can continue to get your emails, etc.
    I understand that. But I have been through this before, They should hand the phone to you so that you can put your username/password in the email setup program to accomplish this. They shouldn't be asking you to tell them your password.
    08-01-09 01:51 PM
    I believe the SOP is supposed to be them setting up your e-mail but asking YOU to key in your password. Anyone from VZW care to respond?
    This would make more sense
    08-01-09 01:52 PM
    I went into a corporate store to replace my phone, due to an ailing trackball. (I know, I know, enough posts about that...) The transaction went smoothly for the most part, until I was asked to give them my email/BIS username/password. I was surprised that they were asking me for such a thing, but they said they need to setup the BIS email account on my phone to send a test email before they are allowed to give me the new (replacement) phone. I told them I was not going to give out my password, to which they replied "I could care less about your password, and we are going to shred the paper after we are done." This was still unacceptable to me. There is NO reason to give my password to anyone. I kindly asked for my device so that _I_ could put my BIS username and password in the email setup program, so that after I log in, it will prompt me to change the device PIN associated with the account... which it did, and my email accounts (service books) appeared on the phone (I have done this procedure before, I know how it works). There were 3 techs behind the counter at this point, and all of them seemed to think that they needed to setup a new account. (This would have left my old BIS account associated with my old PIN, and all of my email accounts pointing towards it. Who knows where this would have ended up after my device worked itself through the refurb process). I can't believe that this is the SOP (standard operating procedure).

Just wanted to share this with all of you in case you run into this situation when replacing your phone, should you need to. Bottom line; there is NO reason to give your password to a VZW employee.
    you are correct...they should only ask you for VZW account password. They shouldnt ever ask you for your BIS password. I just switched my tour because of the trackball, and they switched my email over to the new device without the BIS password. i think it just comes down to uneducated employees that arent really sure what they are doing.

OR, just tell them you'll switch everything over when you get home. i have done that before because the girl was new and was having problems transferring it over. they dont mind.
    08-01-09 01:53 PM
    you are correct...they should only ask you for VZW account password. They shouldnt ever ask you for your BIS password. I just switched my tour because of the trackball, and they switched my email over to the new device without the BIS password. i think it just comes down to uneducated employees that arent really sure what they are doing.
    Probably correct. There are probably thousands of techs throughout the US, it would be near impossible to have all of them following the SOP's, in any of their capacity.
    08-01-09 01:56 PM
    OR, just tell them you'll switch everything over when you get home. i have done that before because the girl was new and was having problems transferring it over. they dont mind.
    I tired that, but they said they cannot release the phone to me until they send this "test email".
    08-01-09 01:56 PM
    I just swapped out my Tour last week at my local Verizon corporate store. The tech did his thing and then handed me the phone to enter my BIS user name and password, and then click onto the next screen. When that was done, I handed the phone back to him so he could finish the set up.

That seemed to be SOP at my corporate store; I would never share my user name or password with anyone. Your experience doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I did notice that the name badges on the techs had another corporate name on them in addition to the Verizon logo---I don't remember the name. I got the feeling that they actually work for another IT company and are contractors to Verizon. I might be wrong, but if that's the case, maybe there's different training.
    08-01-09 03:37 PM
    I would file a complaint, that doesn't sound kosher.

No one should need to access your BIS account to change anything. What happens if you forgot your BIS password, would they have refused to rectify the situation? They should be able to scan the barcode on the inside of the phone to change your ESN and PIN over to add it to the account.
    08-01-09 03:41 PM
    I just swapped out my Tour last week at my local Verizon corporate store. The tech did his thing and then handed me the phone to enter my BIS user name and password, and then click onto the next screen. When that was done, I handed the phone back to him so he could finish the set up.
    That sounds reasonable to me.
    08-01-09 07:47 PM
    I would file a complaint, that doesn't sound kosher.

No one should need to access your BIS account to change anything. What happens if you forgot your BIS password, would they have refused to rectify the situation? They should be able to scan the barcode on the inside of the phone to change your ESN and PIN over to add it to the account.
    I would like to let someone know. I don't know if I would call it a complaint, I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but it is bothersome, and it should be corrected.
    08-01-09 07:48 PM
    As others have already stated they should not have requested your user name and password. Sounds like they just don't know their jobs very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 08:07 PM
    When I got another Storm they handed me the phone and asked me to put that info in myself. They never saked me for the info for them to type in.
    08-09-09 10:15 AM
    I'm with Sprint, but when I call to have my BIS account switched on a new phone (I've been through several, and will have to do at least one more switch), I just give them my user name OR previous PIN. This way they look it up and switch it over, and I have no issues on my side. I've never had to give my password for anything, nor will I. Good luck to you on getting the issue resolved
    08-09-09 10:47 AM
    If they told me that they couldn't release the phone without knowing by BIS username and password I would have told them that we'd be sitting there staring at each other for the rest of the day, lol.

08-09-09 10:57 AM

OMG, you have just hit the nail head on my biggest pet peeve!!! I don't know why VZW does that. This is the number one cause of people buying used BBs that haven't had their PIN released by the previous user. For some dumb reason, the new BB replacements (when you run the email app) want to just setup a new email account rather then prompting you for the username and password of your predefined BIS account. T-Mobile doesn't do this, Sprint doesn't do this, etc. Only Verizon's stupid BB app/BIS does this.

IT IS THE WORSE WAY TO SETUP BIS FOR A CARRIER AND I HAVE REPORTED THIS TO RIM TIME AND TIME AGAIN, YET THEY HAVE NOT RESOLVED THE ISSUE YET. Proof once again that there are no brains in Canada.
    08-09-09 11:00 AM
    they often ask me to enter in information myself.
    08-09-09 11:04 AM
    It all depends on the location you go to, because it is much easier to just do it from the website online than through the phone and to do so the agent would need that info. If I come across someone that doesn't fill comfortable giving me that info to me, which doesn't happen very often I will give them the website to change this info for themselves or have them come around the counter and enter it, but regardless it is easier and there are customers that want us to make sure everything is working correctly and that's why a lot of people feel the need to make sure your happy and that it is working for you before you leave.
    08-09-09 11:04 AM
    OMG, you have just hit the nail head on my biggest pet peeve!!! I don't know why VZW does that. This is the number one cause of people buying used BBs that haven't had their PIN released by the previous user. For some dumb reason, the new BB replacements (when you run the email app) want to just setup a new email account rather then prompting you for the username and password of your predefined BIS account. T-Mobile doesn't do this, Sprint doesn't do this, etc. Only Verizon's stupid BB app/BIS does this.

IT IS THE WORSE WAY TO SETUP BIS FOR A CARRIER AND I HAVE REPORTED THIS TO RIM TIME AND TIME AGAIN, YET THEY HAVE NOT RESOLVED THE ISSUE YET. Proof once again that there are no brains in Canada.
    If you do it online all you have to do is sign in to your account and click change device...and logging in from your BB also allows you to do this if you just sign in. It has an option to change device. The website is BlackBerry Internet Service
    08-09-09 11:09 AM
    I've only had my Tour for about two weeks, but when I purchased it at the Verizon Store, the woman who was setting up my email asked me for my email password (Gmail) so they could test it. I told her, I said, "Look lady, I don't give that password out to anyone, not even my own wife!" And my wife was standing right next to me. The sales lady might have been a little intimidating to somebody else, but she didn't impress or influence me worth a s&*t.
    08-09-09 11:14 AM
    They did this to me too! And then they acted like I was an A55 for not giving it to them. I had my laptop with me and walked down to a nearby coffee shop and changed it. My BIS password is also one I use for all of my secure online accounts.

Well, when I got back they were rude and they told me that they didn't have to have it after all. Not only that but they led me to believe that the password had to be entered into a computer and I could not walk behind the counter to enter it in!

This experience left a really bad taste in my mouth and causes me to not even want to go into that store again. I was made to feel like an a$$ for refusing to give it to them and the only reason that I left to temporarily change it was because they told me that they would not be able to switch phones unless I did.

Bing0
    Last edited by bing0; 08-09-09 at 02:10 PM.
    08-09-09 11:20 AM
    What a cry baby. However most times we do put in our own password. I can see u making a scene for nothing

08-09-09 11:22 AM
    Hey guys, I'm a VZW Tech, and let me explain this too you guys, VZW REQUIRES us to send out test emails, and if we don't they get all up in our asses about.

Most people that use blackberries are ******** and know nothing about them or how to set up their emails. Actually, I run into about 1 person every 5 months or so that actually uses their bberry desktop manager and has a back up of their info.

So This being said, most of the techs in the compay assume, you're an idot and don't know how to do this your self, so we just ask for your info and do it because its faster than trying to get most of the people that don't even know their passwords in the first place. Don't get me wrong, the techs in this story sound pretty dumb. A good tech like my self would just log into the blackberry admistrator account using your old pin, then in the adminstrator tool switch your old pin and meid to the new ones, and then send the service books over the air. Most of the time you don't even have to revalidate the emails when you do this.

VZW is adimate about us setting up emails for you, because so many people out their have bberries and have no clue how to use them.
    08-09-09 01:12 PM
    Verizon neevr did this for me they asked if i wanted them to set up and test my email and i said no thanks ill do it myself and i took my tour and left, i dont blame you i would never have given them my password
    08-09-09 04:01 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD