What if your phone is off for 72 hours? Or you're in transit, sans battery? Or youre in a place with no service?

In any of these situations, it seems that
    1) You'll never receive any SMS messages sent during that time
    2) Sender will never know that those messages were never rec'd by you.
    08-17-09 07:32 PM
    Thats a good question. I know Sprint picmail/mms can be viewed from the web. I'm not sure about the sms though
    08-17-09 07:49 PM
    I wonder if theres a way to convert SMS to MMS then, if only to "view on web".

Someone will solve this issue soon. SMS is too important for business for the platform to be that inconsistent.
    08-17-09 09:54 PM
    In any of these situations, it seems that
    1) You'll never receive any SMS messages sent during that time
    2) Sender will never know that those messages were never rec'd by you.
    I see you have Verizon, which confuses me because:

1) If my phone is off or doesn't have service, I receive all the text messages that were sent during the time my phone couldn't receive texts when I turn my phone on again/get a signal

2) Look next to the message. A check-mark means the message was sent. A check-mark with a little 'D' next to it means it was delivered.

So I don't see any problem here?
    08-17-09 11:13 PM
    1. If you turn off your phone for 72 hours, you won't receive a message sent when your phone was initially turned off. SMS messages "die" after this time frame.

2. The "D" and "R" designations apply only to Blackberry Messenger messages - not SMS messages.
    08-17-09 11:25 PM
    okay there is some misinformation here.

When you send a text message to another verizon wireless customer you will see a "d" next to the check-mark in the sms folder. That just means the phone received it. If you send a text message (at least to other verizon users, do not know how it works outside of the network) and the phone is off for a duration in which the message will expire, you will receive a text message saying it expired (ie. it never got delivered)
    08-18-09 12:35 AM
    72 hour lifespan.
    08-18-09 09:16 AM
    1. If you turn off your phone for 72 hours, you won't receive a message sent when your phone was initially turned off. SMS messages "die" after this time frame.

2. The "D" and "R" designations apply only to Blackberry Messenger messages - not SMS messages.

A "D" will appear when sending sms and mms to a person on the same carrier as you. i.e. verizon to verizon.
    08-18-09 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD