I have had my Tour for quite some time now and have had very few problems. Recently when I have been on the phone, my BB will turned off and rebooted itself. I know BB's can be finicky so I did a battery pull and resumed using. It has since done this five times while on the phone and just did while I was listening to music (on the native player). Does anyone have a guess at the cause? I am kind of thinking battery, but want to be sure before I go get a new one (and waste money when I just need a new phone). Any thoughts are appreciated.
    05-09-11 04:38 PM
    i dont think its the battery because my wifes tour has done that to me while trying to upgrade an app from appworld.
    05-10-11 07:07 AM
    Same problem for me too.
    It happens at least once a day. It happens quite randomly. There's no one app that is causing the crash for me.

Phone, calendar, UberSocial, or Foursquare, doesn't matter. randomly restarts.

Just got a replacement phone, same thing again.
    Gonna call Verizon later after trying wipe/reinstall OS
    05-16-11 05:09 PM
    Same problem here.. First I thought it was happened since I upgraded my Tour to OS 5.0.0.1030. My Tour restarts randomly and drains my battery. Even when my battery indicates fully charged, when it restarts, the battery suddenly drops to zero! What's wrong? Maybe there's a bug in the apps or the OS that causing memory leak, crash, or something. I'm planning on changing my battery with the new one that has more capacity. Is it useful? Please help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 09:20 PM
    Quick question.

Do yall have FourSquare running on your phone?
    05-17-11 12:15 AM
    Yes, I installed FourSquare but I rarely log in or use it. Oh one more thing, I just noticed that the problem did not happen if I keep the battery charger plugged in. I think I should replace my battery with the new one...

05-17-11 12:34 AM
    Yes, I installed FourSquare but I rarely log in or use it. Oh one more thing, I just noticed that the problem did not happen if I keep the battery charger plugged in. I think I should replace my battery with the new one...

that's very interesting. let me know how that goes.
    05-17-11 12:34 AM
    Here are some things to try from least costly/work on up:
    1. clean your battery contacts with a pencil eraser and then shim your battery with a small piece of 3x5 card or business card.
    2. reload your OS without any apps and go for 24 hours . . . no reboot may mean bad app. Reinstall one app at a time until you find the culprit.
    3. I'm on verizon and have found that .975 was the last stable OS. When we (BBTweaks.com) tested .983 (horrible) and .1030 (slightly less horrible) we had random reboots. So downgrade your OS to your last stable OS from your carrier.
    4. go to BBTweaks.com and try the latest hybrid OS there. Read the comments and decide if that might be the route for you.

Good Luck!
    05-17-11 10:13 AM
    Here's an Update.

I've ordered and received another replacement.
    I've ordered a new battery but hasn't arrived yet.

I think the problem is with the battery more than app/os. When I wiped the phone out and installed fresh new OS, same problem happened. (with no additional app installed)

Going to wait for the new battery and see what happens.
    05-19-11 01:29 PM
    Actually cleaning you batterey contacts is a very good idea but the biggest thing is to make sure that your battery is snug in the compartment against the contacts by using a business card or something simalar to wedge on the opposite side to push the battery against the contacts and that should take care of it.

By the way there are many threads on this subject already posted on CB.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 05-22-11 at 11:42 AM.
    05-20-11 01:43 PM
    You might either need a software update or wipe the device and reinstall. If that fails then you might just need a new battery.
    05-21-11 06:51 PM
    This problem is killing me, its so inconvenient it reboots randomly and then zero battery, if I have a bag with me I carry my charger with me, happens more than once, I'm thinkin of getting a new battery...I CANNOT wait for the bold touch...forreals my tour is slowly dying on me...4th one...
    05-29-11 08:27 PM
    Try loading the latest BBTweaks.com hybrid. It will fix your reboots.

05-29-11 08:29 PM
    Do I have to prep the phone in anyway? I havnt been on crackberry forums in a while hehehehe
    05-29-11 08:30 PM
    Same problem here.. First I thought it was happened since I upgraded my Tour to OS 5.0.0.1030. My Tour restarts randomly and drains my battery. Even when my battery indicates fully charged, when it restarts, the battery suddenly drops to zero! What's wrong? Maybe there's a bug in the apps or the OS that causing memory leak, crash, or something. I'm planning on changing my battery with the new one that has more capacity. Is it useful? Please help!

You are describing some of the classic symptoms of a dead/bad battery. I recommend Amazon.com, look for the Vendor Cell Lounge, Inc, they usually have good prices, free shipping on those Tour batteries, and every one I've bought from them was the real deal, not a fake/refurb.

Blackberry D-X1 Battery for Blackberry Tour 9630:Amazon:Electronics

Last edited by BergerKing; 05-29-11 at 11:11 PM.
    HollyDolly likes this.
    05-29-11 11:05 PM
    I'm on my way tomorrow to get a new battery for my Style, I've managed to nearly kill #1 in six months. More the fault of a BBM issue and OS .407, I think. But I'm a very heavy user.

My old Tour battery did the same things when it failed, too.

05-29-11 11:17 PM
    Finding that my wife's tour is locking up more lately. Cleaned out all messages today, going to do a wipe and fresh install with the latest release from vzw not the latest from sprint and see how that works for her. it is her first berry and she hates it because it locked up on her yesterday.
    06-03-11 09:04 AM
    Finding that my wife's tour is locking up more lately. Cleaned out all messages today, going to do a wipe and fresh install with the latest release from vzw not the latest from sprint and see how that works for her. it is her first berry and she hates it because it locked up on her yesterday.
    Some users have no problems, others have nothing but problems. My latest theory is that it might be carrier dependent. I'm on VZW and found that the offficial .975 VZW release is the most stable (I had freezing & reboots with .983 and .1030). Once you've loaded the base OS take a look at the BBTweaks hybrid. It has a faster browser plus other benefits.
    06-03-11 09:11 AM
    Some users have no problems, others have nothing but problems. My latest theory is that it might be carrier dependent. I'm on VZW and found that the offficial .975 VZW release is the most stable (I had freezing & reboots with .983 and .1030). Once you've loaded the base OS take a look at the BBTweaks hybrid. It has a faster browser plus other benefits.
    will do... any insight on which hybrid you are using... will definately be getting rid of 1030 as soon as i get home.
    06-03-11 12:20 PM
    will do... any insight on which hybrid you are using... will definately be getting rid of 1030 as soon as i get home.
    Get the latest hybrid on BBTweaks.com for your 9630. It is ver 6 so Phil has worked out all the bugs. Read the tutorials & post any questions you may have in the forum so the staff can help you out. Good luck!

06-03-11 12:27 PM
    Get the latest hybrid on BBTweaks.com for your 9630. It is ver 6 so Phil has worked out all the bugs. Read the tutorials & post any questions you may have in the forum so the staff can help you out. Good luck!

thanks, not a newb to installing hybrids. will get on tweaks when at home and have access to my widescreen monitor
    06-03-11 02:01 PM
    I tried that BB Tweaks Hybrid, phone is alot faster than before, unfortunately it still reboots albeit less frequently(only once today) *knock on wood* I guess I'll just order a new battery then.
    06-06-11 09:56 PM
    I'm running 975 and never had any issues until recently with random reboots. I shimmed that battery in to within an inch of may battery door's life, did a complete wipe of the device (MAJOR headache!) to no avail. I ordered a $4 replacement battery from Amazon and I've not had a reboot since. Try the new battery. It's cheap and less painful than a wipe and if you haven't had problems in the past, I'm betting it's the battery.
    06-07-11 11:15 AM
    New battery saved my phone, no thanks to the Canada Post Strike tho which prolonged the delivery time by a week and by then the phone could and would restart at least 5 times before lunch.

The BBTweaks OS is nice but it lags for a moment as I take it out of the holster or when the screen comes on ah wells small issue
    07-04-11 01:20 PM
    Over the past year, I only had very occasional random reboots, and I solved that problem with the old "tighten up the contacts with the business card shim" trick. Last week, it started happening again, and I noticed the battery wasn't holding a charge well. So... I swapped batteries with my Bold, and the random reboots on the Tour stopped, while my newer Bold sputtered and stuttered with the old tired battery.

I gave my Tour the birthday present of a new battery last weekend (it was 2 years old yesterday), and all is well.

Puts me in mind of the fact that MANY of our Tours, whether we got them new or bought them used, are around two years old now. My phone works great for business use, so I'm not gonna upgrade right now, since there isn't anything else that VZW has that I really want instead. Spending a few bucks for a new battery to get the phone working "good as new" again was a good investment... especially since it uses the same battery as the 9650, which is my personal phone.
    07-07-11 11:09 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD