I have the Quick Pull app that works good but was wondering actually how well it works vs pulling the battery. I see people stating that when pulling the battery, leave it out fo 30 seconds and then put back in. I know that battery pull doesn't simulate this ( I don't think anyway ) since it basically shuts phone off and then restarts it immediately. Should I stop using the Quick Pull and stick with pulling out the battery?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 09:24 PM
    it depends on what you are trying to do.
    battery pull=hard reset
    quickpull=soft reset
    i have had issues that a soft reset didnt fix, but a battery pull did (errant notifications).
    12-04-09 09:29 PM
    your good with quickpull. Most things that require a battery pull dont really require you to withhold the battery from the device for 30 or more seconds.
    12-04-09 09:31 PM
    your good with quickpull. Most things that require a battery pull dont really require you to withhold the battery from the device for 30 or more seconds.
    quoted for emphasis.
    12-04-09 09:36 PM
    quoted for emphasis.
    Agreed

12-04-09 09:43 PM
    quick pull wpould suffice for minor irritants but with major probs with your device you have to do a battery pull.
    actually, quickpull=>> soft reset
    battery pull =>> hard reset.
    12-05-09 11:59 AM
    I usually do a battery pull if I am reinstalling a app that effects the phone functions (meterberry, facebook, OS, etc) but for other app such as games. I just use meterberry's reset function.
    12-05-09 12:24 PM
    90% of problems you encounter can be fixed with a soft reset, but you should do a battery pull anyway just to be safe. It's more effective because you are directly killing the power to the device, hence the term "hard" reset.
    12-05-09 12:37 PM
    So, probably should do a battery pull when adding apps and use Quick Pull app for pretty much everything else...
    Whenever I add an app, I always do a battery pull, but that's where my orignial question came from wondering if that was really necessary when maybe I can just use my Quick Pull app...
    12-05-09 12:44 PM
    So, probably should do a battery pull when adding apps and use Quick Pull app for pretty much everything else...
    Whenever I add an app, I always do a battery pull, but that's where my orignial question came from wondering if that was really necessary when maybe I can just use my Quick Pull app...
    What I do is run a bi-weekly reset that is scheduled within QuickPull (Pro version). I only do battery pulls when I notice bad lag, installed a new OS, or installed a new app that I notice is not performing well.
    12-05-09 12:54 PM
    I like the pro version of quickpull. It emulates the battery pull while im sleeping every morning so when I wake up I have a speedy berry.
    12-05-09 12:57 PM
    I use meterberry for daily morning battery pulls and it seems to keep the phone running like new.
    12-05-09 01:14 PM
    I like the pro version of quickpull. It emulates the battery pull while im sleeping every morning so when I wake up I have a speedy berry.
    Same here. Even though I'm just using Quick Pull LITE, I have it set to reset every morning so that when I'm up, my Tour is ready and good.
    12-05-09 01:17 PM
    it depends on what you are trying to do.
    battery pull=hard reset
    quickpull=soft reset
    i have had issues that a soft reset didnt fix, but a battery pull did (errant notifications).
    quick pull wpould suffice for minor irritants but with major probs with your device you have to do a battery pull.
    actually, quickpull=>> soft reset
    battery pull =>> hard reset.
    you could have just put quotes around what i said..
    12-05-09 02:39 PM
    I've been trying for a few weeks to track this down and everything I try fails to resolve the following:

When I use QuickPull Pro to reset I get a second device reboot screen that prevents QuickPull Pro from completing and it reads

"The device is required to reset to complete module installation or removal, device inoperable for voice, data, and 911 while rebooting, Notice 1 of 5, then buttons for Reboot Now or Reboot Later"

It then hangs there until I select Reboot Now. I had this problem with QuickPull Free, but it would timeout and complete the reboot, so I did an OTA OS .061 and purchased QuickPull Pro, and now is just hangs.

I've also performed numerous battery pulls and it still persists.

Anyone have a clue to what modules it is referring to...???
    12-05-09 08:20 PM
    Not sure why you guys need an app when you can do the alt, up key on the right side, and delete combo and it resets the phone the same as pulling the battery.
    12-05-09 08:38 PM
    it resets the phone the same as quickpull, not the same as pulling the battery.
    12-05-09 09:09 PM
    Not sure why you guys need an app when you can do the alt, up key on the right side, and delete combo and it resets the phone the same as pulling the battery.
    Two things:

1) People, like myself, prefer these kind of applications because you can schedule it for daily or weekly resets. This is good if you don't want to worry about making sure your BlackBerry is reset and ready to go (Example: have it reset early in the morning so you have a fresh BlackBerry as soon as you get up).

2) Like mentioned above, the reset method you mentioned is considered a soft reset, which is not the same as pulling the battery.
    12-05-09 09:48 PM
    I use quickpull every morning and it keeps my tour running fast and smooth!!

12-06-09 09:28 AM
    quickpull is great I don't have any issues and the battery is tough to get out. I am glad there is an app that just makes it so much easier on me
    12-08-09 02:55 PM
    Not sure why people feel like they need to do a battery pull when they install a new app. Apps that require a restart have you select "Reboot now". By definition that must be a soft reboot. So what's wrong with using the Alt-RShift-Del.

I don't do battery pulls unless I absolutely have to, because each time I take the case off my phone it gets a little looser.
    12-08-09 07:02 PM
    i always preferred to actually pull the battery, i used quick pull on my pearl but found that the phone would kind of stumble back to life rather than actually refresh anything. now that i have a tour i'm not going to even install quick pull
    12-08-09 11:06 PM
    I've been trying for a few weeks to track this down and everything I try fails to resolve the following:

When I use QuickPull Pro to reset I get a second device reboot screen that prevents QuickPull Pro from completing and it reads

"The device is required to reset to complete module installation or removal, device inoperable for voice, data, and 911 while rebooting, Notice 1 of 5, then buttons for Reboot Now or Reboot Later"

It then hangs there until I select Reboot Now. I had this problem with QuickPull Free, but it would timeout and complete the reboot, so I did an OTA OS .061 and purchased QuickPull Pro, and now is just hangs.

I've also performed numerous battery pulls and it still persists.

Anyone have a clue to what modules it is referring to...???
    Here's the real answer to your question. As usual 99.9% of the people here don't know their *** from their elbow.

The way quickpull works is to make the phone think that it has done some semi-major installation or removal of a part of the phone software--the kind of change that requires a mid-level soft reboot. There's probably a software switch that quickpull throws to make the phone think that this semi-major change has occurred and that it needs to reboot. That's how quickpull does its thing. So the reason you see that screen is because that's what the phone is programmed to tell you when that module flag has been thrown and it needs to reboot. The phone doesn't realize that a module hasn't actually been installed or uninstalled.

Why it's "hanging" after that, I dunno.

You might have to do a REAL battery pull to fix the FAKE battery pull that quickpull does. LULZ.
    Last edited by Furballz; 12-11-09 at 08:22 AM.
    12-11-09 08:19 AM
    The device and it's capacitors need to "Die" in order for a true reboot to occur. When in doubt, power out...
    12-11-09 08:24 AM
    thank you, that's exactly right.
    12-11-09 08:28 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD