I searched but am a little confused by some conflicting opinions.....Thanks ahead of time for your help

Setting up device: I can't tell if I have to log onto Verizon BIS from the phone or from a computer? And if from a Computer, must the phone be off?

BB E-mail: Do I have to set up a BB email address? If I just want my work email and Yahoo, can I just do those?

Contacts: By default, do the contacts store on the device or on the microSD card? I'll be getting a larger microSD card but want to not store on the card until the new one comes in.

Mfg Date: I forget the manufacture date after which "new"/updated/fixed tours were sent out? Should I worry?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jlb21; 09-04-09 at 08:20 AM.
    09-04-09 07:31 AM
    I've never had to log into BIS. Why do you need to?
    I don't think you have to have another email, but it wouldn't hurt anything. I've found it useful to email my blackberry wallpapers and stuff.
    Contacts are stored on device memory. If it worries you, just do a backup with desktop manager. Its a good habit to start up.
    Don't worry about when your Tour was made. If it works it works. If you found out it was part of the original run you would always question if it was normal behavior, even if it wasn't really bothering you. If something goes wrong with your device, address it then. Most of the devices, even the original run, are just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 08:44 AM
    Ok. Thanks.

I will probably set-up my BB email for one primary reason.......txt from my daughter.

Once we add her line, she will be on the $5/250 txt plan initially. We may go to a select plan eventually, but not right now.

She knows she'll be able to send to my BB via email. This doesn't help her per se, but it keeps the FS plan from getting a hit for when I receive TXT as I will not have a sep TXT plan on my BB line.

And since my Yahoo mail gets used for so much stuff, I want to segregate out TXT via email from family into its own bucket. I know I may be able to do that with alerts with something like Berrybuzz and other options, but for the intial get going, this should work.
    09-04-09 09:31 AM
    Two reasons I have read suggest that NOT setting up a BLACKBERRY email might be advisable. One, you can only get to the account from the BB. There is no way to get to the email from the web or outlook or other. The second is that if the address is discovered (spam) it might be hard to filter it.

Not huge issues but things to consider.
    09-04-09 10:04 AM
    Setting up device: I can't tell if I have to log onto Verizon BIS from the phone or from a computer? And if from a Computer, must the phone be off?
    Thanks!
    When I am at home, it's easier to log into the Blackberry BIS website for Verizon from my pc. Quicker for me than doing it on the phone. Whether by phone or pc, they both accomplish the same thing.

You do not need to turn your phone off.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    09-04-09 10:23 AM
    Two reasons I have read suggest that NOT setting up a BLACKBERRY email might be advisable. One, you can only get to the account from the BB. There is no way to get to the email from the web or outlook or other. The second is that if the address is discovered (spam) it might be hard to filter it.

Not huge issues but things to consider.
    Good point. I think either I might just set up another Yahoo address for text from my daughter or perhaps look at the fine grained control I might be able to get with BerryBuzz or something like that. Or maybe the BB itself.

When I am at home, it's easier to log into the Blackberry BIS website for Verizon from my pc. Quicker for me than doing it on the phone. Whether by phone or pc, they both accomplish the same thing.

You do not need to turn your phone off.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    Ok. Thanks!
    09-04-09 10:51 AM
    Ok. Thanks.

I will probably set-up my BB email for one primary reason.......txt from my daughter.

Once we add her line, she will be on the $5/250 txt plan initially. We may go to a select plan eventually, but not right now.

She knows she'll be able to send to my BB via email. This doesn't help her per se, but it keeps the FS plan from getting a hit for when I receive TXT as I will not have a sep TXT plan on my BB line.

And since my Yahoo mail gets used for so much stuff, I want to segregate out TXT via email from family into its own bucket. I know I may be able to do that with alerts with something like Berrybuzz and other options, but for the intial get going, this should work.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't VZW to VZW unlimited or is that something you have to set up? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.
    09-04-09 11:05 AM
    Unlimited if you are on an unlimited plan (this is text I am talking about...voice is).

Even if my daughter has the $10/500 out/unlimited V-2-V text plan, sure, when she sends to me her sending is free, but if I don't have a TXT plan, I still pay per message.
    09-04-09 11:11 AM
    Oh ok, thanks for the info.
    09-04-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD