Hey all, I need to replace my Storm with a new one, then sell that new one to recoup some of the money spent by having to buy the Tour full retail. I've never replaced my Storm and have had it for 2 months, but the click has already gone south... I've done the post-it trick which is holding up, but I will take it back with the fix removed obviously.

Now on to the question... if I go in and try to get it replaced at one store, how does that work? Do they mail me a new one, replace it on the spot? My plan is to do this today, and then go to another Verizon store and pick up the Tour full retail ( ) , and then just Craigslist the new replacement Storm. Anyone done this process?

Will Verizon see that I've bought the Tour and deny me my replacement Storm? That's my biggest fear...

Hope someone's had experience with this, thanks!

-Rob in NH
    07-13-09 07:06 AM
    Did you already buy and activate the Tour?
    07-13-09 07:40 AM
    When i had a problem with my storm i called the 800 number. They give you a few things to try then agreed to overnight a replacement storm. Just reactivate the storm till you get it handled only 1 day with overnight then switch back to the tour. chad
    07-13-09 07:58 AM
    Hey all, I need to replace my Storm with a new one, then sell that new one to recoup some of the money spent by having to buy the Tour full retail. I've never replaced my Storm and have had it for 2 months, but the click has already gone south... I've done the post-it trick which is holding up, but I will take it back with the fix removed obviously.

Now on to the question... if I go in and try to get it replaced at one store, how does that work? Do they mail me a new one, replace it on the spot? My plan is to do this today, and then go to another Verizon store and pick up the Tour full retail ( ) , and then just Craigslist the new replacement Storm. Anyone done this process?

Will Verizon see that I've bought the Tour and deny me my replacement Storm? That's my biggest fear...

Hope someone's had experience with this, thanks!

-Rob in NH

Ron (rpatch) - I am doing the exact same thing. I received my replacement storm the very next day by going to Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center You will have to pay $50 This is the official Asurion website. Asurion is the insurance company that Verizon uses. All you need is some basic information (like ESN#, last 4 digits of SSN...) Asurion is completely different than Verizon themselves and will not impact you getting a Tour. I ordered my Tour online (supposedly Verizon was only offering Tour upgrades to new line activations but I just ordered an upgrade at full retail and it went through just fine) seconds later I ordered my replacement, got it the very next day, later that day I got my tracking number for my Tour delivery tomorrow.

PM me if you get a chance.

-jrbarrett
    07-13-09 08:05 AM
    Just call verizon tech support 1800-922-0204 and say that you have done a hard reset on your phone and it continues to reset(also say that you already upgraded your os) if you already have the tour on your acc just activate your storm on it and call in say you tried the tour out but wanna stick with the storm that should work
    07-13-09 08:14 AM
    Ron (rpatch) - I am doing the exact same thing. I received my replacement storm the very next day by going to Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center You will have to pay $50 This is the official Asurion website. Asurion is the insurance company that Verizon uses. All you need is some basic information (like ESN#, last 4 digits of SSN...) Asurion is completely different than Verizon themselves and will not impact you getting a Tour. I ordered my Tour online (supposedly Verizon was only offering Tour upgrades to new line activations but I just ordered an upgrade at full retail and it went through just fine) seconds later I ordered my replacement, got it the very next day, later that day I got my tracking number for my Tour delivery tomorrow.

PM me if you get a chance.

-jrbarrett
    If you activate your old storm (you can do it online) you will be fine and be able to avoid the 50 dollar fee from asurion
    07-13-09 08:16 AM
    well if they overnight you a replacement then you will not be able to activate the tour until you activate the new storm, you'll have what verizon calls pending orders which stops any activating of any other phone until the replacement is activated. How do I know? b/c I work there lol

Best bet is to get it replaced wait for the storm, activate it then purchase the tour full retail and then activate that. It certainly is a pain but we must follow very strict guidelines. Hope that helps
    07-13-09 08:22 AM
    blue and bold - when you "apply" for the claim it asks you for payment information and charges you minutes after processing your claim.
    07-13-09 08:24 AM
    Yeah thats why I'm saying you call in and talk to tech support you applied for a claim like your phone was broken he is saying that he has a replacement which is free(covered by 1 year manufact. warranty) as long as there is no physical damage
    07-13-09 08:27 AM
    do not do the asurion replacement btw your phone should be under warranty and would be a free replacement from what it sounds like, especially if the screen just stopped clicking. However if you have gotten the phone wet or if the screen has physical damage that would however void the 1 yr mnfg. warranty
    07-13-09 08:28 AM
    oh wow fast responses lol
    07-13-09 08:28 AM
    Yeah thats what I'm saying also working for verizon, pretty much know every way to use and abuse their system, as i do on a regular basis
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 07-13-09 at 08:35 AM.
    07-13-09 08:29 AM
    Blue and Bold -I have already been charged the $50. If I reactivate my old storm do I get the $50 back?
    07-13-09 09:04 AM
    There is NO reason why you should have to file a claim to get a new storm.

It is under warranty and if you just call and report that you are having issues (hopefully you are and aren't just abusing the system), they will very quickly send out a replacement.

I went through 4 Storms and finally was asked if I'd like to switch to a different phone. I said YES!! After a little pain, I ended up walking out with a Tour yesterday.
    07-13-09 09:18 AM
    Yeah McKrakken has it right you got charged 50$ for going through asurion, did they ask if your phone was damaged or something? What should have happened is you should call verizon tell them you're having issues(hopefully you are, but there is now way for a verizon rep to tell because we cant see the phone but with storms we replace a ton) and they will send you a new one out.
    07-13-09 09:28 AM
    Aw shucks - I wish I knew this before I went through Asurion. I told the rep I was having prooblems clciking the screen and simply reminded him that I have the insurance on the phone. He transfered me to Asurion.
    07-13-09 09:39 AM
    Wow, lot of quick responses here... love this forum.

Well I don't have my Tour yet, but have money in pocket and a few stores locally that still have stock. I just need reassurance that Verizon won't halt the replacement process of my Storm if I purchase a Tour. Maybe it's paranoia, but I can see a CSR saying "You've already replaced the device, you have no need for a replacement Storm". I mean I'm just going to turn around and sell it anyways unfortunately...

I like the Storm a lot, but the mushy, wiggling, dust collecting screen I'm just done with. But I'd like to activate and use the Tour immediately so I don't know if this plan will work.
    07-13-09 09:54 AM
    Yeah and we(tech support) pretty much get it. CSR is full of idiots as soon as you call verizon ask for tech support if you want someone to help you. What I would do is call in and get that storm sent out to you. Once its on the way you will have to activate the phone once on your phone #. So do that and yes you will run into issues with the activation of the tour on your # because you have a pending order. Get that storm to you and throw a fit about the one day shipping we can do it for free(some of us do it all the time) others dont. Just say you need it you run your business with it blah blah get it done asap then let that arrive activate it on your # and go buy your new phone. You should be good 2 go
    07-13-09 10:12 AM
    AW Shucks, I wish I knew this before I went through Asurion. I told the Verizon rep that I was having trouble clicking the scren ans simply reminded him that I had insurance on the phone and he trasnsfered me to Asurion.
    07-13-09 10:13 AM
    Aw shucks - I wish I knew this before I went through Asurion. I told the rep I was having prooblems clciking the screen and simply reminded him that I have the insurance on the phone. He transfered me to Asurion.
    That really blows were you talking to tech or CSR? They should at least go through troubleshooting with you bat pull etc. to see if it will fix.
    If they didnt do that then I would call asurion and see what they can do in terms of a refund since i know must of this goes through them.
    If they cant call verizon and say one of your reps F***ed me and told me to pay for a replacement.
    07-13-09 10:14 AM
    Ok, I called Verizon and was very polite and they issued me a $50 credit on my next bill. Still a little upset at myself for paying $500+ for the Tour cause patience isn't my greatest virtue but hopefully will make a decent amount by selling the Storm Thanks for the help! Keep on Crackin'!!
    07-13-09 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD