I got my tour on the morning of 7-12-09. I recently exchanged it for poor call quality and a very loose battery door (i used the tape fix so it was fine). Everything else was perfect it was a Canada 1 phone.

I got the new phone it was a mexico 5. I tested the call quality at the store and it was much better also my battery door was a little more snug. Get the phone all charged up at home I noticed the left and right trackball movement is laggy. Up and down was perfect. this phone also had crazy screen ripple (which i could deal with) but the trackball issue was annoying. I tried the hard push and slide. cleaning trackball. upping the sensitivity. left hand , right hand, upside down and feathering it. no matter what fix i did it wouldn't scroll smooth. Somehow i got a phone that was worse then my 1st.....besides the good call quality.

So back i go to the store, this time with a checklist in my head. With the intent to check everything before i leave.

Call quality
    trackball movement
    headphones to check the jack
    Making sure to push all the menu and keys on the side for screen ripple.
    battery door

I asked the guy at vzw to let me look over the replacement phone so i can check all the things on my list before i left the store. he was more then happy to go over it with me. He was a very good CS guy.

This phone was also from Mexico 5. Had a perfect trackball out of the box. also zero screen ripple from anywhere on the phone other then pushing the screen directly. Make a call and it sounded very VERY clear. Battery door is tight as a clam.

I normally don't take stuff back but with VZW and how stiff they are with there upgrade polices i just had to be certain i was getting a good working phone. I do believe this one is perfect. its my third sadly 1 from Canada and 2 from Mexico.

Don't settle for these voodoo fixes you read about. if your phone is broken and your under your 30 days REPLACE IT.

Check it out before you leave the store. That's what i did and i'm very satisfied with #3. Just hope it stays that way
    Last edited by irony747; 08-04-09 at 11:22 AM.
    08-04-09 10:26 AM
    You are absolutely right. We pay good $ for these phones, they should be perfect!
    Although I will say that if the only thing that was wrong with my phone was a loose battery door I would keep it. -just in case the replacement was somehow worse.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 10:34 AM
    There's actually a thread dedicated to people who have experienced issues with their devices. It might be more helpful if you posted there!
    08-04-09 10:34 AM
    You are absolutely right. We pay good $ for these phones, they should be perfect!
    Although I will say that if the only thing that was wrong with my phone was a loose battery door I would keep it. -just in case the replacement was somehow worse.

I agree 100% about the battery door since i use a Verizon silicon case i wouldn't notice it. but its still something to look at when replacing your phone for a new one. I agree i wouldn't return a phone based on the door itself.
    08-04-09 10:40 AM
    I agree with the OP, wholeheartedly. I am going back probably tonight to get my third one. Hopefully it is the perfect one I am looking for! If they have to open three boxes for me, so be it. I am going to keep this phone for at least a year and I want it to be in perfect working order.
    08-04-09 10:51 AM
    The worse part about the new series of Blackberrys is the trackball can't be easily removed to be cleaned.

The older series, all you had to do was pop the silver ring out, flip the device upsidedown and the trackball housing fell out. Then you could clean the 4 magnetic rollers, pop it back in, put the ring back in place and viola, instant fix.

Now it's like you have to take the whole front plate off. Almost seems like they dont want you to fix it yourself.. =/
    08-04-09 11:05 AM
    Now it's like you have to take the whole front plate off. Almost seems like they dont want you to fix it yourself.. =/
    Well, since it voids the warranty when you do that, I guess they really don't want you to do it.
    08-04-09 11:08 AM
    those that have only had one tour and think the rest of us are nuts...well...ignorance is bliss. i am on my 4th tour and no two of them have been alike. my current one the door is between good and bad...i will call it ok. moves from side to side, but not up and down with a gap like 2 of my others.

i have not sent my old tour back yet and holding them side by side...the builds have some differences for sure. my new tour actually has a recessed screen. it is lower than the rest of the phone. doesn't really bother me, but it's different. it also has bigger spaces between the keys and the frets to the point that i can be parts inside the phone. not cool.

i have seen some tours with a stright bar across the buttons...but all of mine the bar is curved at the end above the call and end....so there is a gap above them and lint and dust collect there...you can easily see the light leak then the backlight is on.
    08-04-09 11:12 AM
    These problems seem to be happening more on the Verizon Tours. I'm still on my first Tour that I ordered on the 12th FTW.
    08-04-09 11:16 AM
    Well, since it voids the warranty when you do that, I guess they really don't want you to do it.
    It's impossible for them to find out. However, installing beta OS' also voids the warranty, so thats a moot point. :P
    08-04-09 11:22 AM
    It's impossible for them to find out. However, installing beta OS' also voids the warranty, so thats a moot point. :P
    I really hope I don't have to install a beta OS on my Tour, like I did on my Storm lol. Just give me a stable official 5.0 release in two months and I'll be fine
    08-04-09 11:26 AM
    My 2nd Sprint Tour arrived yesterday in hopes of resolving the major trackball issue,frequent loss of GPS, and horrid battery life on the 1st handset. My girlfriend got a Tour and hers is as close to perfect as I could expect: No screen ripple, great responsive keys, perfect trackball, good battery/sound quality. So I'm shooting for that.

So on the 2nd handset, the trackball is much better, the battery door is equally loose(which all in all is minor I guess), but there is amazing screen ripple that the 1st didn't have. I mean like throwing a rock into a pool of oil ripple. I'll just have to test sound quality/battery life over the next week, but I know I'm getting up on my 30 day here so it's going to be decision time.

I'm starting to suspect I need to choose the lesser of two weevils and get a phone with the important parts right, and through dedicated meditation, reflection, and mantra chanting, learn to forgive my phone's minor shortcomings

Note: trackball battery and failing GPS felt like majors to me
    08-04-09 11:30 AM
    The thing was the trackball didn't need to be cleaned the phone was a few hours old. It clearly was a hardware issue with the trackball. It spun well, up and down it was perfect just left and right it was slow or non responsive and sometimes even going diagonal. After all the so called fixes failed i returned it.
    08-04-09 11:31 AM
    These problems seem to be happening more on the Verizon Tours. I'm still on my first Tour that I ordered on the 12th FTW.
    First Tour zero problems as well.

08-04-09 11:31 AM
    I have a Pre-release Tour that I've had far longer than it was released.. 0 issues. No activation issues, no software issues, came with the same OS that the release day devices did.. works great.
    08-04-09 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD