I have a Storm and my dad just got his first Blackberry and smartphone today (a Tour). He is coming to Verizon from a Nextel dumb phone. He was pretty split between the Tour and the Storm and I am too. I told him to get the Tour and if he didn't like it I would swap with him.

Well since this is his first BlackBerry and smartphone I had to do a lot of work helping him set it up. I really like it but I have several problems with it.

1. Trackball "freezes" in the left/right motion. It doesn't do it everytime but it does do it frequently and it is very annoying. We brought it back to Verizon and they first told us it was a software glitch and I called BS since BlackBerry has been doing track balls for years. Then he tried telling me that track balls aren't prefect. Again, I called BS, this wasn't a minor problem but a significant annoyance. We agreed to keep the phone and try it out for a day or two but I suspect we will end up trading it out.

2. Battery door is lose. It isn't really bad but it is annoying, especially the way my dad holds the phone. We brought it into Verizon and they found a door that fits a little better but it still wiggles around.

3. Connection issues. The Tour seemed to have a lower signal than my Storm and had trouble holding a connection to 1XEV (it would be 1xev) when my Storm was fine right next to it. It caused a lot of lag in the OS.

4. Software lag. I think this is almost exclusively related to the Tour losing signal and applications getting confused.

Despite the problems I really like the phone. I won't mind if my dad decides to swap me.
    07-16-09 11:37 PM
    The only one of your comments I can help you with is the trackball. If you raise the trackball sensitivity from 70 to 90 it helps a lot. To do that go to options-screen/keyboard-and look for the trackball settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 11:45 PM
    I have adjusted the track ball speed a bit but I fear that 90 will be to fast for my dad.
    07-16-09 11:49 PM
    if the phone has all those problems, perhaps it's a safer bet to just swap it out with verizon sooner rather than later. you can test it out at the store a little, make sure you're swapping for a better one, etc. i'm sure it'll be a bit better after that.
    07-16-09 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD