My employer wants me to start using a BB, but requires that I purchase the device and then they cover the data/ voice plan. Unfortunately I am not versed in these at all, and a trip to the Verizon [service is to be through Verizon] store was less than helpful and more confusing than anything.

The phones available are for me to purchase [and without the ability of a future free upgrade...] are as follows:

8703E $79.99
    8830 $129.99
    8330 $134.99
    Storm $229.99
    Tour $99.99

From what I have read on here it is really between the 8330 and the Tour [9630?]. What is should I be looking at considering this will be business use only, and will be not only my cell phone which I use about 75% of my calls, but also for reading and responding to email [Lotus Notes]?

Does one stick out from the other on ease of typing?
    Voice quality?
    Durability? Durability is a big concern as I was told my warranty through Verizon runs out in 1 year....

Also, this will be replacing my Pocket PC [Axim50V] if that has any bearing. Thanks!!!
    07-28-09 08:30 PM
    I would go with the Tour just because of the the physical keyboard
    07-28-09 08:32 PM
    I would go with the Tour just because of the the physical keyboard
    i agree wit this guy
    07-28-09 08:36 PM
    I have both the Storm and the Tour. I would suggest the Tour. It just seems to be the more reliable of the two in terms of consistently running with out any problems.
    07-28-09 08:39 PM
    I would go with the tour because its newer and you want the updated phone BUT I do feel like the Curve is easier to use. That may be because I had it for years and just got my Tour though lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 08:41 PM
    I agree, the Tour is the way to go especially if you will be doing alot of typing.
    07-28-09 08:42 PM
    Tour hands down for business use.
    The Storm's OS is not very good for heavy business use (and the touch screen is a personal preference, but most heavy users are not too fond of it).
    The rest are far outdated. Tour is better in every aspect.
    Good luck!
    07-28-09 08:43 PM
    I'm a first time BB user, and I went for the Tour after messing around with my friend's. Before, I was a loyal "LG flip-to-type keyboard" phone guy, and swore I'd never get a BB. Now that I have the Tour, I will never use a regular phone again. I LOVE THIS THING *scratching neck furiously like Tyrone Biggums*

It's actually pretty user-friendly. I have nothing else to compare it to, mind you, but I would have to say you won't go wrong with pretty much any BB.
    07-28-09 08:45 PM
    The Tour is Verizon's newest device and probably a better option for you.It has more memory and a faster processor than the 8330. Personally I just got an 8330 and am very happy with it.I bought a used one for a good price because everyone is upgrading to the Tour. The 8330 has been around longer and with OS 4.5 is still a pretty good work horse of a berry.

07-28-09 08:47 PM
    My employer wants me to start using a BB, but requires that I purchase the device
    What an ***

Those prices are really weird also.

Anyway, I would suggest the Tour, but I'm a little biased. I had a curve before and it was ok, but the Tour is much sleeker and faster. I've spent a little time messing around on a storm and I didn't like it at all.
    07-28-09 08:48 PM
    I came from the 8330 to the Tour. Without hesitation; The Tour

07-28-09 08:51 PM
    What an ***

Those prices are really weird also.

I am not sure what that post is supposed to mean, but thanks for the guidance anyway.

The prices are what our IS&S rep has given me, and the nearest I can tell they are similar to a 1 year without any rebates. Stinks since I could buy all of these for much less through Verizon on line, but I have been told by IS&S they 'WILL NOT activate any device to the server not purchased through the company"...

So even without regards to price Tour is the way to go? I also forgot to mention the need for battery life...
    07-28-09 08:56 PM
    I use it a lot. Charge nightly. Battery power is good and only marginally less than my 8330... But, I keep my screen at 100% always.

Battery not a concern and shouldn't be a factor in your choice IMO.

07-28-09 09:01 PM
    Tour no question

ps I had the 8330 before
    07-28-09 09:25 PM
    Tour all the way and the price is good as well.
    07-28-09 09:25 PM
    Go with the Tour.

07-28-09 09:27 PM
    Tour is the way to go.
    07-28-09 10:48 PM
    I would go for the Tour. Might as well get the newest model, the better screen, faster processor and better camera. I upgraded from the Curve and it is a night and day difference.
    07-28-09 10:59 PM
    The Tour is the best phone on that list. Not sure why its so much cheaper than the other older devices but that's just another reason to get the Tour. I too had the 8330 (great phone for its time)and now have the Tour.

07-28-09 11:31 PM
    Go with the Tour! Curve seems so outdated compared to the Tour, IMO
    07-28-09 11:32 PM
    Tour all the way.....get the latest and greatest!
    07-28-09 11:46 PM
    Totally go for the Tour, it's a much upgraded version of the 8830
    07-28-09 11:56 PM
    well I own the curve and the tour. I bought both as a new blackberry user. The curve is a very solid device and as a new bb convert I did not find the tour to be that much better. It is cheaply made compared to the curve in the sense that the screen ripples and the battery door is loose.The trackpad and keyboard are also inferior to the Curve andi have used both for about a week. But for looks no question the tour.
    07-29-09 01:26 AM
    get the toour. thats what i picked when faced with the decision. no regrets. i always go with the newest phone. takes everything wrong with the others and makes em better/fixes em.

amazing= tour.
    07-29-09 03:03 AM
    Yet another vote for the Tour, especially at that price. I paid 199 for mine.
    07-29-09 04:35 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD