On my Curve, I could set a different ringtone for when it was in or out of the holster. It seems with the Tour that the only holster option is whether or not it rings. Am I missing something? I work in retail and it's nice to have my phone ring inconspicuously when it's in my pocket (at work) and loudly when it's not (at home). I miss this feature! Is there any way to get it back? An app? Anything?

Thanks!
    08-22-09 08:34 PM
    Its pretty much the same, but condensed. Instead of having a split in each profile for in and out of holster, it just asks "Do you want sound in Holster" if you choose no and have Vibrate active then you're golden. Can't see why someone would want 2 different rings dependent on if its in our out of the holster. Thats really the only difference in the 2 versions. I like the Tour Profile Manager better its less clutter, and less confusing.
    08-22-09 08:43 PM
    As I said in my first post, I like have an inconspicuous ringtone when I'm at work and a loud one when I'm home.
    08-22-09 08:44 PM
    Your only choice is to tell it to ring when out of holster and vibe only while in holster.
    08-22-09 08:45 PM
    As I said in my first post, I like have an inconspicuous ringtone when I'm at work and a loud one when I'm home.
    You'll have to make custom profiles to achieve that under the current OS.
    08-22-09 08:45 PM
    You'll have to make custom profiles to achieve that under the current OS.
    But is there a way to have it switch profiles when put in the holster? Not having to worry about forgetting to change the profile was nice with the Curve.
    08-22-09 08:48 PM
    But is there a way to have it switch profiles when put in the holster? Not having to worry about forgetting to change the profile was nice with the Curve.
    I know how you feel. As far as i am aware, there is not a way to do that. Only ring out of holster, vibe in holster.
    08-22-09 08:50 PM
    I know how you feel. As far as i am aware, there is not a way to do that. Only ring out of holster, vibe in holster.
    That is unfortunate. Seems like a weird thing for RIM to remove. More options, more customization is better, in my opinion. The more I can bend it to my will, the better, in effect. >;D
    08-22-09 09:12 PM
    I miss that feature in the profiles as well. I hope they add it back in there in a future update. I used it all the time.
    08-22-09 11:15 PM
    I don't think it's going to matter within the next few months. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure both the Tour and the Curve will be running a version of 5.0 so the features should be consistent.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 4.7. I liked 4.6 better.
    08-22-09 11:18 PM
    The Profiles in OS 4.7.x.x are horrible compared to 4.5.x.x... I too, came from a Curve and that was a huge letdown for me. Profiles are one of the most impressive features of the BlackBerry as far as I'm concerned. I know they have condensed Profiles in 4.7.x.x and that is semi-appreciated. However, I liked to be able to setup Profiles VERY customized, without having to actually create "custom" profiles, if you get what I'm saying.

For instance, I generally used LOUD on my Curve. I liked the ringer, SMS, MMS and GMail account to be LOUD. Everything else, I wanted to be at a medium volume. That is not possible in 4.7.x.x.. LOUD is going to put each at the loudest setting.

There are other facets of the profiles that I take exception with. Thankfully, I've heard rumors that RIM will be looking at these complaints in futures versions of the OS. I sure hope these are more than just rumors!

ALB
    08-22-09 11:47 PM
    LOL, I'm going to go ahead and ask anyone who's installed 5.0.0.140 if the profiling is better yet.

So, uh... to anyone that's upgraded to 5.0.0.140:

Is the profiling better yet? XP
    08-26-09 12:03 AM
    If the add anymore options I am going to kill myself. goddam i had a pre and there was only one alert sound and it played for every type of message
    08-26-09 01:17 AM
    On my Curve, I could set a different ringtone for when it was in or out of the holster. It seems with the Tour that the only holster option is whether or not it rings. Am I missing something? I work in retail and it's nice to have my phone ring inconspicuously when it's in my pocket (at work) and loudly when it's not (at home). I miss this feature! Is there any way to get it back? An app? Anything?

Thanks!
    Every Blackberry with an OS lower than 4.7 has your familiar Profiles feature. Just make more Custom Profiles, it's really not a big deal.
    08-26-09 04:41 AM
    The Profiles in OS 4.7.x.x are horrible compared to 4.5.x.x... I too, came from a Curve and that was a huge letdown for me. Profiles are one of the most impressive features of the BlackBerry as far as I'm concerned. I know they have condensed Profiles in 4.7.x.x and that is semi-appreciated. However, I liked to be able to setup Profiles VERY customized, without having to actually create "custom" profiles, if you get what I'm saying.

For instance, I generally used LOUD on my Curve. I liked the ringer, SMS, MMS and GMail account to be LOUD. Everything else, I wanted to be at a medium volume. That is not possible in 4.7.x.x.. LOUD is going to put each at the loudest setting.

There are other facets of the profiles that I take exception with. Thankfully, I've heard rumors that RIM will be looking at these complaints in futures versions of the OS. I sure hope these are more than just rumors!

ALB
    Really? Why don't you just create a custom profile and stop being lazy...this is NOT a big issue at all..
    08-26-09 04:42 AM
    Really? Why don't you just create a custom profile and stop being lazy...this is NOT a big issue at all..
    Creating "Custom" profiles is still not the same. For instance, when I had my curve, I would set the gTalk volume level to its highest when its in the holster but when un-holstered, I had it set to a much lower volume because I'm IM'ing back & forth & dont NEED to have hear it still at its highest level. I also liked having different ringers for both holstered & unholstered options. RIM should be adding additional features, not removing them.
    08-26-09 09:15 AM
    Every Blackberry with an OS lower than 4.7 has your familiar Profiles feature. Just make more Custom Profiles, it's really not a big deal.
    And:

It's not a matter of being lazy. It's convenience. Once again:

Not having to worry about forgetting to change the profile was nice with the Curve.
    Obviously, by reading this thread, I'm not the only one missing it. There's no reason to call anyone lazy because we want a feature back that was taken out of our $600 phones.
    08-26-09 02:58 PM
    ^ i gotta admit.. i hate when people on here are like "stop complaining and being lazy"

i was complaining that my phone lagged for 5 seconds every other time i sent a SMS and people were like "stop ********"...

wtf i paid for a smooth device
    08-26-09 03:32 PM
    Hmmm...The fact that you feel it is "NOT a big issue at all" doesn't really matter to me. I find it a fairly important issue, and by the responses in this thread, it is to many people as well. I'm going to venture a guess and say that you're a BlackBerry fanboy who takes exception whenever anyone expresses ANY dissatisfaction with a BlackBerry device or feature. I appreciate my Tour and am very satisfied with the device overall. That doesn't mean that I find every aspect of the device or the OS without flaws. Rather than spending your time telling me to "stop being lazy", you should find a thread to read that you could actually contribute something useful to. If that is even possible.

ALB
    08-27-09 01:17 AM
    If the add anymore options I am going to kill myself. goddam i had a pre and there was only one alert sound and it played for every type of message
    You can still do that if you wish. Unfortunately, you'll just have to go in assign the same tone to a lot of event notifications. Personally, I find Profiles to be one of the best features of BlackBerry devices. The customization of those notifications may not be for everyone. I can appreciate that. Good luck with your new device. I hope you enjoy it!

ALB
    08-27-09 01:20 AM
    Actually our OS 4.7 is very similar to what 5.0 is going to be like. The feature you want is not going to come back in the newer OS unless Rim changes it. The curve 8330 is not scheduled to get OS 5.0 and if it does it will prob be 2nd-3rd qrt of 2010.
    08-27-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD