Hey all. I have been a long time viewer on crackberry, but now I need some help.

I'm currently abroad in China and I've unlocked my device, purchased a Chinese SIM, and am able to make and receive calls and receive text messages. The problem is that I can not send text messages. They just don't go through.

I initially had trouble with calling but I had to changed some settings in the smart dialing menu and now it works fine. Can anyone help me?
    01-10-10 03:10 AM
    These are questions that i would love to know as well. I often travel to china and purchased the tour mainly for when i travel. Its good to know that the calls work and you can recieve texts. Did you simply insert the chinese sim card? and do the texts come through as actual characters or just as scrambled symbols? Any insight would be appreciated.

back the OT, it doesnt seem like our phone has the ability to text with characters, unless you were just trying to type in english.
    01-10-10 10:52 AM
    These are questions that i would love to know as well. I often travel to china and purchased the tour mainly for when i travel. Its good to know that the calls work and you can recieve texts. Did you simply insert the chinese sim card? and do the texts come through as actual characters or just as scrambled symbols? Any insight would be appreciated.

back the OT, it doesnt seem like our phone has the ability to text with characters, unless you were just trying to type in english.
    I was receiving texts in english, but I also got texts from China Mobile saying my phone was set up in characters. I unlocked my phone and simply inserted the SIM.

I was trying to send english texts.
    01-10-10 10:59 AM
    What do you mean unlocked? i thought the blackberry was a global phone and therefore already unlocked for foreign sim cards? and okay. is there a way we can send and recieve chinese text messages that are in characters?
    01-10-10 11:03 AM
    The Sprint Tour ships unlocked. The Verizon Tour doesn't and must be unlocked as indicated above.

To the OP, do the phone numbers to which are are trying to send SMS have the correct area code set up in them.

And from your OP, it seems that you correctly changed your SmartDialing settings for your phone calls. Go back and check those settings to make sure they are correct for where you are currently located.
    01-10-10 12:00 PM
    The Sprint Tour ships unlocked. The Verizon Tour doesn't and must be unlocked as indicated above.

To the OP, do the phone numbers to which are are trying to send SMS have the correct area code set up in them.

And from your OP, it seems that you correctly changed your SmartDialing settings for your phone calls. Go back and check those settings to make sure they are correct for where you are currently located.
    I have the smart dialing settings on unknown since I have no idea which code should be used for China.
    01-10-10 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD