I've been looking at various themes for my 9630 Tour.

I've downloaded a theme for my Tour last night and was successful. Today, I found another theme to download which noted that it was for 9630. The extension of the theme file was *.jad - I tried to install it via desktop manager but got an error message saying file was not compatible with my bb. The theme file that I downloaded last night had *.alx extension.

I'm assuming *.jad files are for specific bbs and *.alx are also for specific bbs.

Why are web sites advertising themes specifically for the 9630 Tour when only *.jad files are available which from my experience are not compatible with the Tour?
    08-22-09 08:17 AM
    I ran into the same problem, but I found if you send the DL link right to your BB it will work...........i think its something to do with the desktop manager.
    08-22-09 08:20 AM
    .jad files are called OTA (over the air) links, meaning you download them directly from your BB. You cannot download a .jad file to your computer and upload it to your BB.

.alx files are to be downloaded to your computer, then uploaded to your BB through Desktop Manager. (Hook up your BB, run Desktop Manager, click on "Application Loader", and browse for your .alx file)

I am a theme builder, and I can make a theme with either extension. If I am making a theme for only myself, I make it with an .alx extension. If I make a theme to share, I make it with a .jad extension. The .jad extension is more time consuming because it involves uploading multiple files (usually around 20) to a hosted site, in turn making for ONE .jad file for people to download.

Sometimes theme builders make .alx files available for sharing because they do not have a place to host their .jad files, or do not know how to make a .jad file shareable.
    Or, they want to make the theme available for people who do not have internet on their BB.

Hope that sheds some light on it! Just remember - .alx = uploadable through DM (desktop manager) and .jad = OTA (over the air/downloadable over your BB)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 10:44 AM
    Thank you for your excellent and detailed response.

I took everyone's advice and did the OTA route which was successful.

Many thanks again!
    08-22-09 11:15 PM
    My bb tour 9630 isn't internet supported. When I installed a .jad theme it says that it will still download some files that's why I didn't continue. Can you please help me with this stuff.
    11-01-13 02:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD