Kind of a hit or miss either way though... The Tour has a significant amount of reports of build quality issues (and no they are not all old units), just like the Pre.

The $7 month insurance sucks anyways since there's a $100 deductible... You'd be in the same boat with a warranty repair on the Tour except that it'd be through RIM rather than Palm.
    $100 deductible? This is my 2nd Pre, the first one I got the volume and power switch I had to push in extremely hard. But overall from what I been reading these new Pre's that they are making are better than the first batch that came out.
    12-09-09 04:11 PM
    The Tour is a lot better of a phone then a Pre is. Build quality is much better as well on the Tour then the Pre, the Pre is just to flimsly and junk feeling like. Threaded messaging is on the 5.0 builds. Battery life is good however if you buy a different battery like myself, I can get 4 days out of the battery under heavy usage.

the ONLY thing the pre does better is web browsing, everything else the Tour does better then the Pre
    12-09-09 05:14 PM
    $100 deductible? This is my 2nd Pre, the first one I got the volume and power switch I had to push in extremely hard. But overall from what I been reading these new Pre's that they are making are better than the first batch that came out.
    Sprint's TEP has a $100 deductible. The refurbishment costs for RIM for the Tour have been significantly higher than previous BB's. Take it for what it is.
    12-09-09 05:23 PM
    The BLACKBERRY Tour is a Beast. It's a great device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 06:09 PM
    For business use, the Tour can't be beat. If I didn't need it for work, I'd consider the Pre. Activesync stinks compared to BES. The Pre is real slick otherwise. The keyboard is small, but I'd get used to that. I do like touchscreens though. Actually, if it wasn't for work and all the email I do, I'd probably just get an iPhone. Cool games.
    12-09-09 06:20 PM
    I also went from a Curve to a Pre and back to a Tour.

Curve was my first BB and I loved it, very simple to use, and excellent first smartphone for me to use.

The Pre is an awesome phone software wise, WebOS is a thing of beauty, but it is in its early stages so its hard right now with all the lack of options. The hardware on the Pre however...terrible. I returned it 4 times and finally gave up once all my contacts were erased. I got a Tour for free

Now I know all phones have hardware issues, especially the Tour and the Pre, but I have had great luck with the Curve and Tour, no issues what so ever. I need a phone first and for most and I think the Tour does that great. It does multitask, has a good camera and the web browser does stink, but I look at mostly mobile pages anyways. Overall, the Tour is the perfect phone for me...until the Essex.

All depends on you though, if multimedia, large screen, awesome web browsing is important, go the Pre way. But if you want a phone that is durable (atleast for me) and is fast and does its job, the Tour is the way to go. IMO
    Since you are on Sprint I gotta ask you. Did you get better signals with the Tour than the Pre? My main problem with the Pre is that sometimes I get no signal and have to go on roaming randomly.. while friends who has the Hero or Instinct have pretty stable signals.

Does the Tour does any auto syncing like the Pre? The user interface for the Pre was amazing. All I did was put in my gmail and it got all my contacts and everything I needed, does the Tour do something like that?
    12-10-09 01:57 AM
    I have both a Tour and a Pre. I had an 8830 WE before the Tour.

The Pre is a GREAT phone, the OS is quite good with a lot of potential. What drives me nuts is the small keyboard. I have large hands and the Pre's keys are rubbery and lack feedback.

I plan on grabbing a Tour 2 for business use since I need Wifi. The Pre will go to my wife, she loves using it.

By the way, the Pre's battery life GREATLY improved with the OS update 1.3
    12-10-09 02:05 AM
    I have both a Tour and a Pre. I had an 8830 WE before the Tour.

The Pre is a GREAT phone, the OS is quite good with a lot of potential. What drives me nuts is the small keyboard. I have large hands and the Pre's keys are rubbery and lack feedback.

I plan on grabbing a Tour 2 for business use since I need Wifi. The Pre will go to my wife, she loves using it.

By the way, the Pre's battery life GREATLY improved with the OS update 1.3
    The keyboard doesn't bother me as much anymore, I guess my biggest problem with the Pre is the build quality, I feel like if I drop this phone on the concrete or road it'll shatter. But I am going to play around it for a week or so before making my final decision to switch over to the Tour or keeping my Pre.

As for the Tour if it had Wi-Fi and a better web browser I would probably switch over..
    12-10-09 02:12 AM
    The keyboard doesn't bother me as much anymore, I guess my biggest problem with the Pre is the build quality, I feel like if I drop this phone on the concrete or road it'll shatter. But I am going to play around it for a week or so before making my final decision to switch over to the Tour or keeping my Pre.

As for the Tour if it had Wi-Fi and a better web browser I would probably switch over..
    For what its worth, my Pre seems to have been more scratch/dent resistant than my 8830 was. It still looks brand new.

I wish the Pre had an LED flash for when you receive new messages, there are homebrew apps of course that add that but you'd think Palm would have added that from the beginning.

Both phones are very good in my opinion, just a matter of what your needs and preferences are.
    12-10-09 02:18 AM
    For what its worth, my Pre seems to have been more scratch/dent resistant than my 8830 was. It still looks brand new.

I wish the Pre had an LED flash for when you receive new messages, there are homebrew apps of course that add that but you'd think Palm would have added that from the beginning.

Both phones are very good in my opinion, just a matter of what your needs and preferences are.
    I agree. I dropped my Pre once but that was on a carpet floor, it fell a good 5 ft cause it fell from the top of my gym locker to the ground. Luckily the locker room floor has some carpet. It still works fine

I have my Pre with the USB charger, Wi-Fi, and GPS on and it's simply amazing how good this phone is at running applications and browsing the web. Too bad if I took the Pre off the charger the battery would get eaten if I tried this without a charger.
    12-10-09 02:58 AM
    Just switched from Pre to a Verizon Tour about 1 month ago. Pros/Cons

Pre Pros:
    - web OS
    - linux based
    - camera verrry responsive
    - browser
    - google voice apps

Pre Cons:
    -No forwarding messages
    - Actual Phone software is crap. especially when installed Tweeks
    - quality of material seems crappy. cant take abuse
    - oreo
    - my call waiting never worked
    - reception wayy worse (im in LA)
    - Terrible for heavier business users

The tour is solid built, very reliable for heavy business use. The browser is crap but I have a computer for that.
    12-10-09 03:12 AM
    If I do switch should I go for the Tour or the Curve 2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 04:03 AM
    I think browsing on the Tour is very nice with OS5. Plus, there are other browsers like Opera that you can try. The software available for the Pre is pretty limited, but will grow with time if the OS gains popularity (get more than 2 phones on 1 non popular carrier)
    12-10-09 05:33 AM
    Ok I went from a pre, to the hero, and now bb tour. I still have my hero just incase I wanna go back.

1. The pre had great features, but it felt horrible in the hand and unstable. The slide always had an oreo effect, took keypad was ridiculously small and of course battery.camera was great but no video recording.

Hero- great phone, features, but the touchschreen isn't responsive enough. Camera is the best camera I've ever had on a phone!..apps were ok.

BB tour- no complaints yet other than internet lag at times.
    12-10-09 06:09 AM
    Since you are on Sprint I gotta ask you. Did you get better signals with the Tour than the Pre? My main problem with the Pre is that sometimes I get no signal and have to go on roaming randomly.. while friends who has the Hero or Instinct have pretty stable signals.

Does the Tour does any auto syncing like the Pre? The user interface for the Pre was amazing. All I did was put in my gmail and it got all my contacts and everything I needed, does the Tour do something like that?
    I have gotten great reception with both phones, I live in South Chicago and Sprint does excellent down here. But I have heard multiple reports of the Pre doing this for people.

The Tour does not have auto sync which I do miss. It sort of does in the fact of Facebook contacts...sort of. But it is not like WebOS at all. The great thing about these phones are they all have their advantages. I love BB interface and usability, while WebOS just seems like it can be something great...but potential is a MF lol
    12-10-09 08:20 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD