I realize everyone's in a furor over the OS5 bricking, but I have a question I couldn't find the answer to on the forums.

I have a VZW Tour9630 and upgraded to OS5 over the air the morning of April 8, bricked yesterday with the "Technical issue, please return to store for repair"

I'm curious whether it's possible to downgrade the OS to 4.7 without losing the multimedia files? Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to back them up anywhere and that's really the only thing holding me back from a refurb.

I've read about possibly downgrading from OS5 using Desktop Manager from RIM's website (fresh, never previously installed). Specifically, I tried the ideas here.

However, when I connect the BB to the PC it begins a restart cycle, making it hard for DM to connect. Once I somehow got DM to recognize the PIN but was then informed that "the 4.7 downgrade wasn't available".

Does the Verizon Web Update allow you to choose 4.7? Should I try the Application Loader option in DM?

My most important goal is keeping the files on my BB. What OS I end up with is secondary.

Has anyone had success with this? And if so, can you please provide clear instructions regarding what you did?

Thanks!
    Kal
    04-12-10 12:13 PM
    what multimedia files are you referring to? the ones on your memory card? if thats the case you can just remove the microsd card from your phone and put it into the replacement phone if you end up getting one.

check out these two threads:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...os-pix-129984/

or

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

I have no idea whats causing your phone to power cycle like that, I would just call 611 for technical support.

Long story short, I am replying to encourage you to stay with the 5.0 OS on your tour. I would highly suggest after you get one that you download and install MTS Mobility's 5.0.0.419 There is no push to talk, but everything else is the same as verizons, minus all the bugs and errors. No browser click issue, better battery life, standby function works too, the list goes on.
    04-13-10 07:25 AM
    Thanks. I didn't realize that the DM determined which OS was installed on the PC. I'll try this when I get home today.

The pics are on the device memory, which presents a question -- does the 4.7 downgrade wipe the BB? Is the only thing that preserves the pics the backup in step 1/2?

Due to the power cycling, DM is unable to backup the BB.

For anyone curious about the power cycling, it goes like this:
    1) BB (without battery) is plugged in. (Doesn't make a diff. with battery)
    2) Red light comes on and PC makes "USB Device Connected" Noise
    3) Remains this way for 5-10 seconds
    4) Screen flashes white and goes dark. Red light goes out. PC makes "USB Device Disconnected" Noise
    5) Repeat steps 2-5
    04-13-10 10:37 AM
    So I uninstalled all DM/BB software from the PC, downloaded DM 4.7 and went about trying to restore the 4.7 OS.

Strangely, the BB will be responsive (red light is on) all the way up to the App Loader. Once I hit "Upgrade Software" or the other option, I can get a read on the PIN and enter my password. Once I do this, the BB shuts off and becomes nonresponsive. It's as if I have a virus that doesn't want me to revert the OS. DM Software says there are no current updates.

Is there anywhere I can find the 4.7 OS file itself (not DM, etc) and try to manually load it through the "browse" option?

Kal
    04-13-10 06:53 PM
    So I uninstalled all DM/BB software from the PC, downloaded DM 4.7 and went about trying to restore the 4.7 OS.

Strangely, the BB will be responsive (red light is on) all the way up to the App Loader. Once I hit "Upgrade Software" or the other option, I can get a read on the PIN and enter my password. Once I do this, the BB shuts off and becomes nonresponsive. It's as if I have a virus that doesn't want me to revert the OS. DM Software says there are no current updates.

Is there anywhere I can find the 4.7 OS file itself (not DM, etc) and try to manually load it through the "browse" option?

Kal
    Cal

You need dm installed on your pc. You need an os installed on your pc.

Download one of these, then plug your bb into the usb and load loader thats located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

4.7.1.61 (Official) - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums
    4.7.1.53 (Official) - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums
    4.7.1.40 (Official) - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums
    Last edited by dave3825us; 04-13-10 at 07:48 PM.
    04-13-10 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD