View Poll Results: What Makes A good Thread That Many Will Respond To With Advice?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Is it the thread title itself?

0 0%
  • The thread should be short and to the point

0 0%
  • The thread should be longer with more direct information

1 20.00%
  • The thread should include information and screenshots where applicable

2 40.00%
  • Make you thread interesting that others can relate to

2 40.00%
    I have posted topics before that have received huge viewing and many answers and then just the opposite so for my own future postings of threads and to help others I have created a POLL in the hopes that it will help me and others when starting a new Topic when truly looking for help with your BlackBerry Device.

Thank you for participating.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-05-10 at 04:49 PM.
    09-05-10 01:13 PM
    Could you change your poll to multiple choice? I would like to pick several, but not all, of your options.
    09-05-10 01:27 PM
    Could you change your poll to multiple choice? I would like to pick several, but not all, of your options.
    I would be happy to change the poll if you tell me how to change the poll and edit it. I can edit my post but don't know where to go back in and edit the poll itself.
    09-05-10 01:50 PM
    I hate polls. Discussions are much better in my opinion.

Is it the thread title itself? - No. But just posting "HELP@!!!!" or just posting "Help with Tour" doesn't help anyone understand what's going on. Many people will skip these threads. The thread title should succinctly explain the issue.

The thread should be short and to the point - Depends. Just saying "I loaded a new application and now my phone doesn't work" really isn't giving any information for anyone to help. On the other hand, posting a 400 word diatribe detailing all sorts of extraneous information doesn't help either.

The thread should be longer with more direct information - Yes. Give PERTINENT details. Tell what device, what OS version, what application version, what carrier, BIS or BES, File Free, what you were doing right before the problem happened, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem yourself, etc.

The thread should include information and screenshots where applicable - Yes. Asking "what's this icon" and then trying to describe it is painful to read. Screenshots are great. Fuzzy pictures taken in poor light with some crappy camera are not. Take the time to take and post proper screenshots.

Make you thread interesting that others can relate to - Interesting doesn't matter. If you are having a legitimate issue, then post it whether it's "interesting" to others or not.

Others -
    Don't post rants in the regular forums. It's annoying. If you have a problem, calmly describe what's happening.

Do your best to accurately describe the problem. Sometimes posts don't get answers because the OP is so convoluted that it's impossible to follow what's going on.

Answer the questions that people ask you when they respond.

And last, but certainly not least, use real words, complete sentences, and punctuation (even when posting from your BlackBerry). If you are asking for help, you need to take responsibility for making sure that your posts are clear and easily understood.
    09-05-10 02:14 PM
    I would be happy to change the poll if you tell me how to change the poll and edit it. I can edit my post but don't know where to go back in and edit the poll itself.
    I'm sorry, but I am not sure how to edit the poll. I think I've only created a poll once, and I made mine multiple choice from the start. It has been a long time, and I have not created any polls since then.
    09-05-10 02:20 PM
    Agreed 100% percent. If there was a nail you hit it right on the head.

Is it the thread title itself? - No. But just posting "HELP@!!!!" or just posting "Help with Tour" doesn't help anyone understand what's going on. Many people will skip these threads. The thread title should succinctly explain the issue.

The thread should be short and to the point - Depends. Just saying "I loaded a new application and now my phone doesn't work" really isn't giving any information for anyone to help. On the other hand, posting a 400 word diatribe detailing all sorts of extraneous information doesn't help either.

The thread should be longer with more direct information - Yes. Give PERTINENT details. Tell what device, what OS version, what application version, what carrier, BIS or BES, File Free, what you were doing right before the problem happened, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem yourself, etc.

The thread should include information and screenshots where applicable - Yes. Asking "what's this icon" and then trying to describe it is painful to read. Screenshots are great. Fuzzy pictures taken in poor light with some crappy camera are not. Take the time to take and post proper screenshots.

Make you thread interesting that others can relate to - Interesting doesn't matter. If you are having a legitimate issue, then post it whether it's "interesting" to others or not.

Others -
    Don't post rants in the regular forums. It's annoying. If you have a problem, calmly describe what's happening.

Do your best to accurately describe the problem. Sometimes posts don't get answers because the OP is so convoluted that it's impossible to follow what's going on.

And last, but certainly not least, use real words, complete sentences, and punctuation (even when posting from your BlackBerry). If you are asking for help, you need to take responsibility for making sure that your posts are clear and easily understood.
    09-05-10 02:22 PM
    I have another suggestion re: "good" threads.

It is important to put the thread in the appropriate forum. The Tour forum should be the place for device-specific question, but questions related to one's carrier's policies belong in the carrier-specific forums. For instance, a question about the Tour OS belongs in the Tour forum; however, a question about VZW's warranty exchange policy belongs in the VZW forum.
    09-05-10 02:25 PM
    I have another suggestion re: "good" threads.

It is important to put the thread in the appropriate forum. The Tour forum should be the place for device-specific question, but questions related to one's carrier's policies belong in the carrier-specific forums. For instance, a question about the Tour OS belongs in the Tour forum; however, a question about VZW's warranty exchange policy belongs in the VZW forum.
    You know I do agree with you and this is the only poll and last I have and will create after getting the negative comments from a moderator and a frequent poster. I was merely trying to get some ideas for myself to make myself a better poster when I have to know something and want to start a relavent topic in the forum on which device I own. Anyway thanks for the advice on the mutiple choice and your imput.

To all the others sorry this was not to your liking but I suppose you cannot please everyone.
    09-05-10 04:41 PM
    Motor Mama,love your post. Extremely well thought out and precisely what this forums needs. Too bad CB could not develop some sort of template for people posting with help requests. >>> PERTINENT details. Tell what device, what OS version, what application version, what carrier, BIS or BES, File Free, what you were doing right before the problem happened, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem yourself, etc.

Bottom line, can't have too much information when asking for assistance.
    09-05-10 04:46 PM

Others -

Thank you, This is great input to make me a better poster when I create a topic which is what I wanted. I prefer discussion also and this is the only poll I have and will ever create.
    09-05-10 04:47 PM
    I didn't mean that to be a negative comment. I don't like polls because they don't really give much information. For example, had I merely selected one (or more) of the options provided in the poll, you really (in my opinion) would not have gotten the feedback that you (I think) were looking for.

By posting questions (like you did) and allowing the responders to post detailed response, you are able (in my opinion) to get feedback and options beyond that which you laid out .... perhaps things that you had not even thought of.

Sometimes the answers are not "yes or no" or "check a box" answers. Sometimes the answers are more detailed than that.

That's the reason that I said I didn't like polls.

And if I really thought there was something wrong with you posting it, do you really think that I would have taken the time that I did to post a thought out response? I would have merely said "I hate polls." and left you wondering.
    09-05-10 05:44 PM
    I didn't mean that to be a negative comment. I don't like polls because they don't really give much information. For example, had I merely selected one (or more) of the options provided in the poll, you really (in my opinion) would not have gotten the feedback that you (I think) were looking for.

By posting questions (like you did) and allowing the responders to post detailed response, you are able (in my opinion) to get feedback and options beyond that which you laid out .... perhaps things that you had not even thought of.

Sometimes the answers are not "yes or no" or "check a box" answers. Sometimes the answers are more detailed than that.

That's the reason that I said I didn't like polls.

And if I really thought there was something wrong with you posting it, do you really think that I would have taken the time that I did to post a thought out response? I would have merely said "I hate polls." and left you wondering.
    I want you to know that I 100% agree with all your comments and also appreciate your candor in your responses. I have no problem at all with what you had to say and I should have thought out the Poll maybe a bit better.

As I stated it was my first and will be my last learning more from your comments than the Poll itself so for that I thank you.

My comment had to do with someone elses comment who I know and not yours so once again thank you and all id good here with you and I.
    09-05-10 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD