Hey guys,
    I have a friend who just got a Blackberry and I've been getting 3 pocket dialed calls a day from this person. They apologized and said that BBs are notorious for this problem. Is this true ? Will this be a problem with the Tour also? I would prefer not to have a holster if possible.
    06-25-09 05:01 PM
    As long as you put your phone into Standby Mode (hold the Mute button), you shouldn't have that problem. Standby Mode locks the keys on the BB and the only way to get out of it is to press the Mute button again.
    06-25-09 05:03 PM
    I lock my phone when i put it in my pocket and have never once pocket dialed
    06-25-09 05:04 PM
    I can see how it would be a significant problem - I have an 8820 for work, and whenever I put it in my pocket without locking it, I'll commonly pull it out to find several attempted, failed calls (my work provides data only, so all of my pocket dials automatically fail). Even when I lock the screen, I'll sometimes pull it out to find that the phone has tried unsuccessfully to unlock (fails because it can't enter the right password). So my advice if you're going to go holster-less with the Tour is make sure you have a password lock enabled, and lock whenever you pocket the phone.
    06-25-09 05:05 PM
    What if you password protect the BB, would you still have pocket dials, or would that effectively eliminate the possibility of a pocket dial?
    06-25-09 05:07 PM
    What if you password protect the BB, would you still have pocket dials, or would that effectively eliminate the possibility of a pocket dial?
    If you remember to engage the lock, it should kill the pocket dial. You should still be careful, though, because IIRC, BlackBerries automatically wipe after too many failed password entry attempts.
    06-25-09 05:08 PM
    I can see how it would be a significant problem - I have an 8820 for work, and whenever I put it in my pocket without locking it, I'll commonly pull it out to find several attempted, failed calls (my work provides data only, so all of my pocket dials automatically fail). Even when I lock the screen, I'll sometimes pull it out to find that the phone has tried unsuccessfully to unlock (fails because it can't enter the right password). So my advice if you're going to go holster-less with the Tour is make sure you have a password lock enabled, and lock whenever you pocket the phone.
    Isn't that a big issue?! Doesn't 5 or 10 false attempts to unlock a phone result in data being erased ? I believe that's how the Storm does it. I'd be floored to take my phone out of my pocket and have my data gone!

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of holding down mute vs hitting the lock key? I would assume sleep mode saves the battery more than locking and also doesn't risk erasing data. Though how do you get it out of sleep mode? Could it be taken out of sleep mode in your pocket?
    06-25-09 05:10 PM
    really without a flip phone any phone can be a pocket dialer - minus iphone which shuts its screen off..

so its not notorious for blackberry its notorious for a person who doesn't lock it or put it in standby
    06-25-09 05:20 PM
    I wouldn't recommend keeping bare in the pocket anyhow when you have a trackball. Lint and dirt tend to jam it up more frequently than if you keep it holstered or in a case.
    06-25-09 05:27 PM
    If you remember to engage the lock, it should kill the pocket dial. You should still be careful, though, because IIRC, BlackBerries automatically wipe after too many failed password entry attempts.
    the 5th and 8th attempt will have you type the word "blackberry" before allowing you to continue. this prevents the accidental wipe. 10 attempts is the default for the security wipe.
    06-25-09 05:33 PM
    Just download Keyboard Locker from either on here, or go to mobile.beiks.com
    Last edited by NM08SRT8; 06-25-09 at 05:50 PM.
    06-25-09 05:44 PM
    If you put the BB on standby will it still ring/alert you when you get calls/texts/emails/etc?
    06-25-09 05:51 PM
    I'm with the PP that advised against putting the darn thing in your pocket. Every single BB that I've ever owned has come with a sleeper case. Put it in its case and there won't ever be an issue with pocket dialing someone! Cases come with clips for a reason :d
    06-25-09 05:53 PM
    I work in a rather unsafe area in a rather unsafe town. I really didn't want a belt clip as it will flaunt my expensive Blackberry. Though I also don't want to risk ruining the trackball either.

I'll have to look into cases/clips after the phone's release. I guess, if I need one, I'd probably go with Otterbox. I'm not too familiar with BB accessories but I've heard good things about this brand.

If you drop your berry once, it's ruined forever .
    06-25-09 06:26 PM
    I need help too. I'm trying to trasfer images from my BB 9530 to my PC. I know I can simply email them to myself. but is there another way? Help. and thanx in advance.
    06-25-09 06:28 PM
    I think I just might have found the solution... I need to load the manager program right?
    06-25-09 06:33 PM
    I need help too. I'm trying to trasfer images from my BB 9530 to my PC. I know I can simply email them to myself. but is there another way? Help. and thanx in advance.
    You're far far away from where you should be posting that issue .
    Post your problem here.

This area is Blackberry TOUR only.
    06-25-09 06:37 PM
    You're far far away from where you should be posting that issue .
    Post your problem here.

This area is Blackberry TOUR only.
    sorry ... new to all this
    06-25-09 06:40 PM
    RE: pocket dialing. If you screen lock the phone, is there still a possibility of pocket dialing?? Is standby the ONLY real way of preventing pocket dialing. I am confused
    06-25-09 06:43 PM
    Standby is the major thing I miss from my Curve. The lock on the Storm makes me angry, I wish we could just hold the lock down for the phone to go into standby.

The Tour will have standby like the Curve right?
    06-25-09 06:58 PM
    I'm with the PP that advised against putting the darn thing in your pocket. Every single BB that I've ever owned has come with a sleeper case. Put it in its case and there won't ever be an issue with pocket dialing someone! Cases come with clips for a reason :d

the storm shipped with no case at all..
    06-25-09 07:03 PM
    I work in a rather unsafe area in a rather unsafe town. I really didn't want a belt clip as it will flaunt my expensive Blackberry. Though I also don't want to risk ruining the trackball either.

I'll have to look into cases/clips after the phone's release. I guess, if I need one, I'd probably go with Otterbox. I'm not too familiar with BB accessories but I've heard good things about this brand.

If you drop your berry once, it's ruined forever .
    Not a fan of otterbox. not because of the products, which I hear are very good, I just can't stand the extra bulk added to my bb from ANY case. I just use the rubberized holster from seidio. (not the innocase, just the bare bb holster)
    06-25-09 07:24 PM
    the storm shipped with no case at all..
    Not in Canada it didn't
    06-25-09 07:25 PM
    this is why im looking fowar to the tour, the hidden buttons r gonna make it so easy to lock it or put it in standby
    06-26-09 05:15 AM
    Just get one of those sleeper sleeves that are designed without the belt clip and slip it into that for when you put it in your pocket. My boss at work has one. It would prevent pocket dialing, there's no risk of failed password attempts wiping your data, AND your trackball is fairly protected

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bacon.jay; 06-26-09 at 06:42 AM.
    06-26-09 06:38 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD