Hi Y'all. I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in The Gambia in west africa, and I just got an unlocked verizon Tour 9630 sent to me over here. Fedex is magic. Anyway, I want the device primarily for internet use. I have tried two different networks here - both of them work for voice and sms, but I can't seem to get any internet working on either service. One is 2G and the other is 3G - both GSM.

This tour has never been activated nor configured on any network before.

I would be the most grateful person EVER if someone could lead me through setting this bad boy up to access the internet on either a GPRS 2G gsm network or a 3G gsm network.

When I try using the browser, it says there are no browser service book entries. The Blackberry internet service is deactivated.

I have only a few days before I head back out into the bush for 3 months, and I would just die if I fail to get this working before then. Go figure, mud huts with grass roofs, and 3G internet service.

Thank you!!

Mike
    08-31-09 08:46 AM
    You will need to have an account activated with blackberry data plans in order to push the browser service books to the device.

Without the proper service books for data service, you're SOL.
    08-31-09 09:41 AM
    LOL! I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago and we stayed in the bush for a few days where my phone had 100% data and voice signal... for the rest of my trip where we stayed at The Ritz I had no data and spotty voice.
    08-31-09 09:59 AM
    LOL! I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago and we stayed in the bush for a few days where my phone had 100% data and voice signal... for the rest of my trip where we stayed at The Ritz I had no data and spotty voice.
    Did you use a digicel sim card??
    08-31-09 10:12 AM
    Did you use a digicel sim card??

No I didn't. I had the option of course but I didn't really need to make calls while I was there and it wasn't necessary to get the SIM card for data only which was my main concern. But it was the Digicel and/or Vodafone networks I was running on.
    08-31-09 10:48 AM
    You will need to have an account activated with blackberry data plans in order to push the browser service books to the device.

Without the proper service books for data service, you're SOL.
    Can you think of a way for me to do that from this location, or should I get my shipping boxes ready?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
    08-31-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD