Why is this?

Pictures look washed out and extremely grainy. It looks as if there are lines going up and down each picture.

I took my photos in my room with a good amount of light.

Do I need to change any settings or anything?

BB newb also!
    11-01-09 09:40 AM
    Not sure why you're having this experience. I just swapped out from a Storm and have found the picture quality on my Tour 100x improved. My Storm was giving me the same picture quality you're getting. Camera issue possibly? Might want to drop by a store and compare the quality against a demo tour there to validate that.
    11-01-09 09:42 AM
    Spyder,

It is not in all pictures though. Only in those which seem to be taken with greater amounts of light.

It's just odd...
    11-01-09 10:36 AM
    My tour's pictures come out great. I previously had a storm which was great as far as picture quality, but on my 8330 curve, if I took any pictures indoors, it would have that kind of striped look to it. Try some outdoor shots to see if it's just the indoor ones that look bad. And clean any dust off the lens if there is any.
    11-01-09 10:38 AM
    What size are you using? Open the camera, left click, options and check the size (Medium is good) and check the quality settings.
    11-01-09 11:39 AM
    My Tour takes awesome pics! Very crisp and sharp.

My settings are..

Flash: Auto

Autofocus: Normal

Image Stabilization: On

White Balance: Auto...I set it to "Night" when it's dark

Pic Size: 640 X 480

Pic Quality: Superfine

Color Effect: Normal
    11-01-09 12:21 PM
    What size are you using? Open the camera, left click, options and check the size (Medium is good) and check the quality settings.
    What does it matter if you change the size to medium or leave it to the Large?
    11-01-09 12:23 PM
    People, don't expect the Tour to be acting like a high-quality SLR which has a high-quality, large CCD that can perform well in low light conditions. For CCD sensors of comparable types, the signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range improve as their size increases. Like it or not, Tour is still primarily a phone which has a CCD smaller than most subcompact cameras which were built solely for picture taking, aren't much smaller than the Tour re. overall size/mass. Despite photo being their only function these subcompact cameras still perform poorly in low-light conditions due to small CCD's (which are still larger and higher quality than Tour's).
    Last edited by dohturdima; 11-01-09 at 12:40 PM.
    11-01-09 12:33 PM
    Try turning image stabilization off.
    11-01-09 12:45 PM
    Try turning image stabilization off.

agree with this turn image stabilization off
    11-01-09 12:53 PM
    I've seen the gray bar thing happen when trying to shoot under extremely high wattage lights on my Curve. I think its either too much light for the camera to handle or something to do with the frequency of the light output.
    11-01-09 01:00 PM
    My pics always turn out worse when I turn off Image Stabilization.
    11-01-09 01:04 PM
    Low light will always be grainy. But yeah, pics seem worse with image stabilization on.
    11-01-09 01:17 PM
    Hmmmmm...not for me. Weird...
    11-01-09 01:50 PM
    my pics come out great...sorry u having that problem...then again i was using a LG Rumor 2 phone with a 1.2mp camera(i think)..so the tour's camera is excellent...IMO
    11-01-09 01:57 PM
    People, don't expect the Tour to be acting like a high-quality SLR which has a high-quality, large CCD that can perform well in low light conditions. For CCD sensors of comparable types, the signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range improve as their size increases. Like it or not, Tour is still primarily a phone which has a CCD smaller than most subcompact cameras which were built solely for picture taking, aren't much smaller than the Tour re. overall size/mass. Despite photo being their only function these subcompact cameras still perform poorly in low-light conditions due to small CCD's (which are still larger and higher quality than Tour's).
    Not to mention the aperture size of a few mm on our Tour compared to a quality SLR digital with 55mm or greater,, quite a difference in light gathering capacity. Mine takes pretty good pics for the most part,, like mentioned already.. conditions will make a huge difference.
    11-01-09 02:35 PM
    you probally need to play with settings my tour takes great pictures, i change the settings for different pictures in different lightings
    11-01-09 03:21 PM
    The tours camera isn't excellent for 3.2. My X1 took way better pics with the 3.2mp. But your pics should be pretty decent assuming its not a low light scenario.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 05:43 PM
    i never had any problems with my tour's camera.. bad unit maybe?
    11-01-09 06:54 PM
    If I turn ON my image stabilization, the pictures are crap. The image stabilization adds a HUGE amount of red-colored, grainy noise to the photos. If I turn OFF the image stabilization, the photos are pretty good for a cell phone.
    11-19-09 11:52 PM
    I did the recent OS upgrade and lost the Autofocus option on my Tour?!?!? Its not Autofocusing now and I'm ticked. Anyone else dealing with this?? Thanks in advance.
    12-07-09 01:54 PM
    Upgraded here and I have autofocus.
    12-07-09 03:36 PM
    im glad I read this thread. I always have had image my image stabilization turned on and always thought the pictures I took were pretty good, UNTIL I read this thread and thought people were nuts by turning off the image stabilization to get good pictures, so I tried it myself and holy crap what a difference! By turning off the image stabilization has made the pictures turn out 10 times better!

I learn something new everyday.... whys is it anyway when image stabilization is on it makes the pictures not as nice?
    12-07-09 05:14 PM
    Hmm Okay here is a test...

Image stabilization on:

Image stabilization off:

12-07-09 07:08 PM
    ^^^ hmm yours doesnt look much different?? On mine anyway the white looks a lot whiter with image stabilization off....I'll do some pics right now and post them in a few minutes to show you the difference on mine..
    12-07-09 07:12 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD