So I have read all the reports about letting the battery drain down and then charging it back to 100% and pulling the plug which is what I've tried to do as best I can. I have had my phone about 8 days now and battery life doesn't seem to be improving much.

So here's the deal, I am running 4.7 still (upgrading to OS 5.0 as we speak) and when I go to sleep with a 100% charged battery I will wake up roughly 8 hours later as the phone sat in standby and it will have lost over 35% minimum. I have all settings as recommended, 1XEV (not global) and E911 gps. It's just not adding up. Do I have a straight up bunk battery? I live in what I would consider moderate service area. About 80% of the day the phone has 2 bars and for some reason it loses all service for about 30 seconds a few times a day. I live close to John Wayne airport here in So Cal and I think the planes flying nearly directly over head screw with my signal! Tell me what you think!
    09-28-09 10:30 PM
    Are you running any apps in the background? I remember reading about one user that had left open Pandora (or Slacker) without realizing it and was draining the battery. And it seems like you have decent connectivity in your area so that shouldn't be a problem as far as draining your battery overnight.
    09-28-09 10:38 PM
    I do have Pandora but it is definitely shut down manually. I've never actually used Slacker but I have clicked on the icon to attempt to use it. Maybe it stayed open somehow??
    09-28-09 10:45 PM
    WOW! I thought it was just my Tour. I actually use my phone until my battery is at about 10% and then charge it again before bed. When I wake up about 6 hours later I have roughly 3/4 of battery life. I shut down all apps except my messengers (if those count)
    09-28-09 10:49 PM
    With my stock OEM battery, Id go to bed and put phone in standby, and maybe lose 10%. With my 2600 mAh battery, I lose 5% at most.
    09-29-09 03:43 AM
    5.0 fixed my battery problems COMPLETELY...it's not even funny how much it improved. I wanna say some ridiculous number like 60% more battery life
    09-29-09 03:44 AM
    My Tour at 12 mignight has 100%, I unplug it, it goes into standby, then when I wake up at 10am, it has 98% left.
    09-29-09 03:49 AM
    I plug it up to 100% before I go to bed. I just leave it alone and I don't bother putting it on standby.

When I wake up, it's 95/100% depending on how long I sleep.
    09-29-09 05:21 AM
    Also letting the battery drain down completely isnt a good idea for these types of batteries. More harm than good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 06:08 AM
    Don't let the battery run down at all, keep it charged as much as possible!!! if you keep it charged is better for the battery life...also if you hold down the BB menu key it will open up app switcher and you can see which programs are open, there should only be 5 by default (Browser, Phone, Homescreen, BBM, Messages)
    09-29-09 06:13 AM
    Make sure you don't have any apps in the background that "auto-update" or anything. That will KILL your battery.
    09-29-09 08:05 AM
    5.0 fixed my battery problems COMPLETELY...it's not even funny how much it improved. I wanna say some ridiculous number like 60% more battery life
    Yes, the battery life improvement in 5.0.0.230 is RIMarkable. My Tour was conking out with 3-4 hours of heavy use. Now, I make it through the entire day even with heavy use with about 30% to spare.

To OP, there are many Apps that auto-update. Hold down your BB Key to see what's running. Known killers include streaming music apps, twitter apps that auto-update (you can change settings in Ubertwitter to not auto-update), Viigo auto-updates (I think), Google Sync does (you can switch it to manual, if you like), etc.
    09-29-09 08:24 AM
    Yes, the battery life improvement in 5.0.0.230 is RIMarkable. My Tour was conking out with 3-4 hours of heavy use. Now, I make it through the entire day even with heavy use with about 30% to spare.

To OP, there are many Apps that auto-update. Hold down your BB Key to see what's running. Known killers include streaming music apps, twitter apps that auto-update (you can change settings in Ubertwitter to not auto-update), Viigo auto-updates (I think), Google Sync does (you can switch it to manual, if you like), etc.
    I've heard that 5.0 still is experimental with lots of potential problems. Have they been corrected and is it safe to use now? If so, where is the best place to get it?
    09-29-09 10:49 AM
    do you have your GPS on? also, do you have your network on 1XEV?
    09-29-09 11:11 AM
    I was having problems too, changes settings, and it helped a little, but I recently removed Slacker. Wasn't using it anyway, now I'm on day 2 with no charge, still have 75% battery.
    09-29-09 11:29 AM
    I've heard that 5.0 still is experimental with lots of potential problems. Have they been corrected and is it safe to use now? If so, where is the best place to get it?
    Yes, the versions out there of 5.0 are beta, and some people are having problems of one degree or another. Myself, I'm lucky, just a wee bit of lag switching apps once in awhile. Otherwise, .230 is running very nicely on my tour.

"Safe" is a relative term when it comes to leaked/beta os's. Sometimes things go awry and the installation botches, and you have a bricked phone, which, in most cases, can be recovered. Or the installation goes fine, but the os ends up being too buggy, and you have to downgrade. So it comes down to your comfort level.

check out bbhybrids.net.

And my battery life is much improved from 4.7.1.40!
    Last edited by wyodog; 09-29-09 at 12:11 PM.
    09-29-09 12:07 PM
    Ok guys after updating to 5.0 my battery life seems to have improved 10 fold. I went to sleep last night with only my FB app open and the phone in standby, all other settings the same, and I lost less than 5% life. This is a huge improvement over the previous days running 4.7.

I must attribute this to the software change. As far as my feelings on the actual software go... I honestly don't know what all the crazy positive reviews are. Running this software doesn't appear to make the phone "blazingly fast", everything appears normal -- at best. I had a few minor lockups that didn't require a battery pull, but just about 15 seconds of patience before the phone responded to any commands. Also I had a minor issue with the internet on first install until I did a battery pull and now it seems alright, at first it was SUPER slow via browser and had intermittent downloading.

I came from a Treo and yes threaded SMS is a MUST and I'm very happy with that function!

All in all, I'm keeping the 5.0 unless something goes horribly wrong and as long as the battery life is fixed I'm cool with it!
    09-29-09 02:14 PM
    I'm running 4.7.1.40 (the original os) and I'm having major problems with my battery life. Went to the vzw store the other day and they told me to keep charging it. I charge it every single night with the device off. I have to charge it for a bit at the office too and sometimes by the time I get home at night the battery is about to die. I use mostly data which I know kills the battery faster but I still think it should be lasting longer than it does. The only apps running in the background are the usual 5 (browser, phone, messages, messenger, home screen) but ubertwitter and weather too. I have the following apps installed:
    App store
    Berry buzz
    4.7 core applications
    4.7 system software
    App world
    application center
    maps
    messenger
    brickbreaker
    browser
    3 themes
    documents to go
    email setup application
    facebook
    help
    klondike
    memopad
    password keeper
    phone
    quickpull v2
    tasks
    ubertwitter
    weather
    word mole
    I don't think that's an extraordinary amount of apps. But could any of those be the culprit? I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about issues such as this one but I thought I'd ask
    09-29-09 04:09 PM
    appworld is a battery killer too.
    09-29-09 04:34 PM
    im not running the os 5 version of the tour..my battery life seems good..i charge my phone to 100% in the mid day and when i go to sleep i just have my auto on/off function on so i can save battery while i sleep..in other words even if i do my normal charge in the mid day and do regular usage but not heavy usage, and its been almost 24 hours until i have to charge it again, i think thats great with not even using the os 5.0 version of the tour
    09-29-09 04:51 PM
    Since we're on the battery topic:

There has been times when i've accidentally left my phone connected to my laptop.. which then goes to sleep.

This means when i wake up in the morning i'll have no more than 50% battery left. (sometimes its closer to 10/20% (nothing))

I don't know what the excuse is for draining the battery connected to a sleeping/standby laptop... but i don't care.

This has caused full-day problems for me when it happens.
    09-29-09 04:55 PM
    Ok guys after updating to 5.0 my battery life seems to have improved 10 fold. I went to sleep last night with only my FB app open and the phone in standby, all other settings the same, and I lost less than 5% life. This is a huge improvement over the previous days running 4.7.

I must attribute this to the software change. As far as my feelings on the actual software go... I honestly don't know what all the crazy positive reviews are. Running this software doesn't appear to make the phone "blazingly fast", everything appears normal -- at best. I had a few minor lockups that didn't require a battery pull, but just about 15 seconds of patience before the phone responded to any commands. Also I had a minor issue with the internet on first install until I did a battery pull and now it seems alright, at first it was SUPER slow via browser and had intermittent downloading.

I came from a Treo and yes threaded SMS is a MUST and I'm very happy with that function!

All in all, I'm keeping the 5.0 unless something goes horribly wrong and as long as the battery life is fixed I'm cool with it!
    Nope, it wasn't the OS change it was disabling Slacker. Changing the OS shut it down. That was running your battery down. I've read these battery threads for every BB since the Pearl and it's always the same. New phone, install some apps (new ones, ones you didn't have on the old phone). Some app uses battery updating via a radio. Battery sucks. Somebody says "what OS are your running"? You say XXX. They say "I updated to XX.CC and my battery life improved dramatically. So you do it and THAT shuts down all the apps that were running. Problem solved. Think about it: how can a different OS magically make the battery last longer? It's the radios that kill the battery, and the OS by itself does not use radios. Apps use radios, talking on the phone uses radio, GPS uses radio, WiFi uses a radio, BT uses a radio. Not an OS. I used the original OS for the 8900 on Tmob and if I didn't use much stuff my battery would last from Friday morning to Sunday night no problem. The next OS is no better no worse.
    09-29-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD