I reached into my pocket and saw a RED light and a BLUE hour glass rotating w/ the keyboard lite up. I thought okay, let me do a battery pull, didn't work. Alright, from then I put it on my charger for 1hr, and still no difference. The red light keeps flashing with a hour glass on the screen.

So..... I brought it to the verizon store and after a couple hours of "monitoring the phone" they said the phone was "blown out". They said it could of been from the charger or something like that. So I either had an option of taking an upgrade to a new phone or talk to insurance about getting the same phone for $89. However, I pay for insurance every month and they said it doesn't matter, there no longer replacing blackberrys.

So what do I do, and is this guy just feeding me a bunch of bull****?

BTW...... The Red light and hour glass just keep repeating if I keep the battery in. Also, I've had the latest OS and haven't updated in weeks, so nothing could have been an immediate cause of this such as a bad upgrade.
    Last edited by cXw22; 07-19-10 at 07:07 PM.
    07-19-10 07:00 PM
    So I either had an option of taking an upgrade to a new phone or talk to insurance about getting the same phone for $89. However, I pay for insurance every month and they said it doesn't matter, there no longer replacing blackberrys.

So what do I do, and is this guy just feeding me a bunch of bull****?
    If that's the case, its news to me. VZW always replaces BBs! Maybe this is their latest tactic to get every damn last customer of theirs to buy some Android device though... (I kid.) Are you within your first year since purchase? If so its under warranty anyways. Isn't this hardware failure? You didn't put the dang thing in the microwave or anything. Its not like its "physical damage."

Regardless, I would call into VZW on the phone. Don't mention the store and tell them that your phone wont work etc. Chances are you'll get someone a little more competent and they'll send you a 9630 replacement. If that fails I'd go find the first kid who helped you would and would take the upgrade and move to the BOLD 9650. Same phone with double the memory, trackpad, wifi, and BB6 ready. Take the move up and don't look back!
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-19-10 at 07:17 PM.
    07-19-10 07:15 PM
    If that's the case, its news to me. VZW always replaces BBs! Maybe this is their latest tactic to get every damn last customer of theirs to buy some Android device though... (I kid.) Are you within your first year since purchase? If so its under warranty anyways. Isn't this hardware failure? You didn't put the dang thing in the microwave or anything. Its not like its "physical damage."
    I see a couple of possibilites. There could be something that the tech saw that looks like the issue was caused by damage not covered by warranty. Not saying I doubt the OP, but we are not seeing the device as the tech saw the device.

It could be that Verizon is tired of getting screwed by phony warranty claims (we all know that it isn't uncommon on this site for some folks to pass along "advice" on how to get a new phone under warranty claim even if there isn't anything truly wrong with the phone - there was a rash of posts when Verizon was "temporarily" replacing 9630s with 9650s). If that is the case, unfortunately as often happens even those with legitimate claims will get caught in the crossfire and suffer.
    07-20-10 06:19 AM
    It could be that Verizon is tired of getting screwed by phony warranty claims (we all know that it isn't uncommon on this site for some folks to pass along "advice" on how to get a new phone under warranty claim even if there isn't anything truly wrong with the phone - there was a rash of posts when Verizon was "temporarily" replacing 9630s with 9650s). If that is the case, unfortunately as often happens even those with legitimate claims will get caught in the crossfire and suffer.
    I certainly know what you mean and its ridiculous how many people around here see no problem in stealing phones for fantasy issues or things they could easily fix themselves. Download BBSAK already and fix it!!! I cringe when I see people posting about having 7 CLN-FRU etc. That is either some incredible bad luck or there is something else involved... My question is this though: the 1-year warranty is through RIM, no? If this is the case, how much say does VZW have in saying whether or not their going to cover a hardware warranty with a replacement or not? (Not necessarily in this case but generally. If its hardware and 1-year from purchase, don't they have to?)
    07-20-10 08:58 AM
    I certainly know what you mean and its ridiculous how many people around here see no problem in stealing phones for nothing. I cringe when I see people posting about having 7 CLN-FRU etc. That is either some incredible bad luck or there is something else involved... My question is this though: the 1-year warranty is through RIM, no? If this is the case, how much say does VZW have in saying whether or not their going to cover a hardware warranty with a replacement or not? (Not necessarily in this case but generally. If its hardware and 1-year from purchase, don't they have to?)
    I don't know how they can't honor the warranty. Call CS and explain your issue, and escalate to a supervisor if you don't get anywhere.
    07-20-10 09:01 AM
    I don't know how they can't honor the warranty. Call CS and explain your issue, and escalate to a supervisor if you don't get anywhere.

That's what I was thinking PLK. Weird.
    07-20-10 09:15 AM
    Don't know if you'd be willing to try but have you tried getting it to communicate with a PC/Mac? Maye doing a wipe/relad would fix the problem yourself if you're not really in the mood to deal with VZW.
    07-20-10 02:03 PM
    Thanks for the help/tips/ideas guys, its really helping. I gonna get this settled today.
    07-20-10 04:33 PM
    Update:

Hahahaha noticed my battery had a red slash across a white background which means its been affected by water, so I put the battery in the freezer for an hour, and the phone has been working for 10min so far. YESSS
    07-20-10 04:51 PM
    Update:

Hahahaha noticed my battery had a red slash across a white background which means its been affected by water, so I put the battery in the freezer for an hour, and the phone has been working for 10min so far. YESSS
    Wtf??

If the phone was affected by water, then why put the battery in the freezer lol?? The damage is to the phone not the battery.
    07-20-10 04:59 PM
    Wtf??
    If the phone was affected by water, then why put the battery in the freezer lol?? The damage is to the phone not the battery.
    Agreed. Lol. Where did you get the freezer idea?
    07-20-10 05:20 PM
    Your BB should be replaced without hesitation. Like suggested call Customer Care
    I have had 4 Tours and now am on my 3rd Curve lots of bad luck here LOL
    but seriously that is way out of bounds for the tech to tell you ins won't cover it.
    you pay for insurance and they have to give you a replacement but if under the first yr warranty Verizon or whoever your carrier is should replace it. Call customer care

good luck
    07-20-10 06:58 PM
    ANOTHER UPDATE:

I forgot to post but it shut down 5min after it turned on. I then tried a friends battery and it did the same thing, go on for 5 min then flash a white screen and go back to the hour glass......... This ruled out the battery.

So I called Verizon over the phone, and after about a half hour conversation I'm getting a new tour fedexed overnight. Thanks for telling me to call, it worked!

There was under a week left in the first year warranty.... I got really lucky.
    07-21-10 04:48 PM
    ANOTHER UPDATE: So I called Verizon over the phone, and after about a half hour conversation I'm getting a new tour fedexed overnight. Thanks for telling me to call, it worked! There was under a week left in the first year warranty.... I got really lucky.
    Wow. Thank God you called when you did! I'm glad everything worked out mate.
    07-21-10 04:51 PM
    Yeah, thanks for all the help.
    07-21-10 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD