I just applied the Phantom Skinz to my screen again since my first attempt didn't go real well. This time I used two drops of dish soap in the warm water and it made it a lot easier to apply. Gives a little wiggle/sliding room so you can get it into place better.

We'll see how it looks in the morning.
    07-18-09 09:45 PM
    good advice on dish soap. I will do that when mine come in on monday I would expect, they were shipped on wednesday it said.
    07-18-09 09:53 PM
    i'm still waiting for mine as well. i agree though, that if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, you'll come out with a perfect job.
    07-18-09 09:59 PM
    I got mine in the mail today and tried it. I put a BSE on my Curve a while ago and didn't really have any problems. I took my time and everything, and this just went awful! I'm not blaming it on the company though. This phone has so many damn curves. The bottom piece and the camera piece were the worst for me. For some reason, my screen had rainbow lines up and down when turned on. I'll try it again tomorrow with the other one using some dish soap.
    07-18-09 10:09 PM
    Upgraded from a storm to a Tour yesterday. Stopped by the Phantom Skinz place and had them skin my Tour. Here's some pictures of it about twenty minutes after the install. Pretty much every piece of the phone is protected except for the Qwerty keyboard.

They did a reallly good job with the install. There was a small bubble in the screen when I first got it back but its pretty much gone now. Doesn't even show up in the pictures.

PS. Sorry if the pics take too long to load

For all of you still stuck with a storm.... be jealous lol
    They did a really good job... looks good!
    07-18-09 10:09 PM
    Going back and looking at the original post it definitely does look like a better job than I had on my Storm. Perhaps they got better at it. But you're still going to have the ridges from the overlap as well as the condom-ish feel. I'm glad it's working for some, but the feel, ridges, and lint just turned me off.

I'll try the 2nd protector tonight.

EDIT: I still can't get that blotch off, but here's the 2nd one:

Instead of being in a room w/ the shower on and using cold water, I had a humidified room w/ warm soapy(small dab) water. At first it didn't even stick, so I emptied the soapy water out and put regular warm water in. This time it stuck a bit more, but as you can see the left side got air/water bubbled again. I'll give them a ring tomorrow/Monday and see if they can help me further w/ this. Also, it seemed to help shaking the water off the skin before applying it.
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 07-19-09 at 01:15 AM.
    07-19-09 12:22 AM
    damn dude ur scarin me now, lol
    07-19-09 02:11 AM
    Going back and looking at the original post it definitely does look like a better job than I had on my Storm. Perhaps they got better at it. But you're still going to have the ridges from the overlap as well as the condom-ish feel. I'm glad it's working for some, but the feel, ridges, and lint just turned me off.

I'll try the 2nd protector tonight.

EDIT: I still can't get that blotch off, but here's the 2nd one:

Instead of being in a room w/ the shower on and using cold water, I had a humidified room w/ warm soapy(small dab) water. At first it didn't even stick, so I emptied the soapy water out and put regular warm water in. This time it stuck a bit more, but as you can see the left side got air/water bubbled again. I'll give them a ring tomorrow/Monday and see if they can help me further w/ this. Also, it seemed to help shaking the water off the skin before applying it.
    personally, I'd have paid the $10 to get it done at san tan mall where the OP got it done
    07-19-09 02:19 AM
    They didn't have any kits, but it would have been $20 vs $7. The 2nd install went much better and looks so much clearer now. From what I've read, it seems as though they'd be willing to send out a replacement set for free anyway. That's the kind of CS that keeps me coming back and recommending to all my friends.
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 07-19-09 at 03:17 AM.
    07-19-09 02:48 AM
    is that a black case you have on your tour?
    07-19-09 03:13 AM
    My Tour's naked. No case here. I'm fast becoming detached from the big ol belt clip too. My BB likes to stay naked in the pocket. Too bad I can't really feel the vib that way.

Here's an update on my 2nd try. Accept for the corners on the left, most of the rainbow shine has dissipated. Even some of the odd smearing has vanished.

One thing is for sure, I LOVE the feel of the skin on the screen. It picks up a whole lot less fingerprint action and even makes it easier to read under the sun.
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 07-19-09 at 07:14 AM.
    07-19-09 03:57 AM
    My Tour's naked. No case here. I'm fast becoming detached from the big ol belt clip too. My BB likes to stay naked in the pocket. Too bad I can't really feel the vib that way.

Here's an update on my 2nd try. Accept for the corners on the left, most of the rainbow shine has dissipated. Even some of the odd smearing has vanished.

One thing is for sure, I LOVE the feel of the skin on the screen. It picks up a whole lot less fingerprint action and even makes it easier to read under the sun.

too much cocaine residue on that phone for my liking. Lay off the blow yo!

I still think that OP's job is FLAWLESS! If I was guaranteed that the job would look like OP's I'd sign up but I don't think I'm going to put a skin on it now. What a pain for the most part.
    07-19-09 01:08 PM
    I applied my Phantom skin last night. I noticed I got those same bubbles when the areas they appeared were not wet enough. I pulled the whole thing off the screen and had to pull pretty hard - it was stuck on good. I thought it was ruined when i pulled it off cause it stretched then rolled up like a fruit roll-up after I finally got it off. I then placed it in the cup of water for a minute then carefully unrolled it, put it back in the water and applied it again. As it turned out, it was easier to apply and looked better on the screen after all that. Even though they stretch out a lot after you pull them off they seem to regain their shape after a minute or two.
    07-19-09 01:38 PM
    I really don't understand why everyone wants to do a risky installation of these window tint type skins.
    I bought the silicon skin from CrackBerry that is manufactured by BlackBerry and it fits and looks great.
    I also bought the Smartphone Experts Screen Protectors (3-Pack) and the installlation and clarity are both easy and outstanding.

I am perfectly happy with mine and I feel like I have a great deal of protection as well. I have dropped other BB devices before with these skins and found zero damage every time. Seriously can someone enlighten me as to why these BB silicon skins are seemingly not appreciated well?

Bing0
    07-19-09 01:47 PM
    because some of use don't wanna use a case and like it to be "naked."
    07-19-09 01:51 PM
    Bingo,

well because its thin sheer clear and barely noticeable like a sheer thong on a hott broad wearing white thong with white pants, barely there but it still protects. and some of us are sick of belt clip holsters. Silicon is fine but its not as sheer as phantom skinz. does not compare. also silicon stretches out after a while!

I am sorry for those that the installations that have not gone well. I for one decided not to put one on. After looking at the OP's pics, I really wanted one bad but now, I'll just save myself the stress.
    07-19-09 01:55 PM
    I really don't understand why everyone wants to do a risky installation of these window tint type skins.
    I bought the silicon skin from CrackBerry that is manufactured by BlackBerry and it fits and looks great.
    I also bought the Smartphone Experts Screen Protectors (3-Pack) and the installlation and clarity are both easy and outstanding.

I am perfectly happy with mine and I feel like I have a great deal of protection as well. I have dropped other BB devices before with these skins and found zero damage every time. Seriously can someone enlighten me as to why these BB silicon skins are seemingly not appreciated well?

Bing0
    Other than the reasons listed, lets not forget how strong this material is. It's not like window tint. This stuff is used in the military on helicopter blades to prevent damage so you are getting quality protection from scratches and whatnot. As long as you have patience, a clean work area, plenty of lighting and keep the pieces wet you won't have problems.
    07-19-09 02:03 PM

Hey, how does sprint Tour work in PHX area? you happy with reception and network? does it work in your home? I know PHX is very spread out and there's lots of nothing on the highways there...Did your phone work near Grand Canyon or on the way there?

thinking of relocationg there through my job, maybe....I've been there a few times now so not a rook!
    07-19-09 02:14 PM
    Bingo,

well because its thin sheer clear and barely noticeable like a sheer thong on a hott broad wearing white thong with white pants, barely there but it still protects. and some of us are sick of belt clip holsters. Silicon is fine but its not as sheer as phantom skinz. does not compare. also silicon stretches out after a while!

I am sorry for those that the installations that have not gone well. I for one decided not to put one on. After looking at the OP's pics, I really wanted one bad but now, I'll just save myself the stress.
    This made me lol.

Installed my Phantomskinz yesterday and after 24 hours, it looks and feels great. Took about half an hour of meticulous, careful work, but it's worth it in the end. Best part is having the full protection without having to hide the sleek design.
    07-19-09 02:49 PM
    This made me lol.

Installed my Phantomskinz yesterday and after 24 hours, it looks and feels great. Took about half an hour of meticulous, careful work, but it's worth it in the end. Best part is having the full protection without having to hide the sleek design.
    thank god, no babies! Yeah, im not mechanically inclined AT ALL, your averge miley cyrus fan is prolly more inclined than I therefore, i give up, im not even gonna think about ordering it. maybe if i see one at kiosk, i'll let them do it.

Its worth it though, right? no fuzz and junk around the stickers and you can put them in your pocket w/o worrying about it?
    07-19-09 03:18 PM
    Phantom Skinz sells directly through Amazon.

But a kit (two applications) from Phantomskinz.com directly and it is $24.95.
    Buy the same kit (also two applications) from Amazon and it is only $16.96!

Here's the link:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Blackberry Tour 9630 Full Body Protection Kit by Phantom Skinz

Good luck!
    Last edited by Thumb-Berry; 07-19-09 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
    07-19-09 04:36 PM
    LOL, dude, can you do me a favor and either show us or tell us how hard it was? I want to order but I am not at all mechanically inclined at all..Im like a 16 year old miley cyrus fan when it comes to stuff like this. I'll prolly have bubbles and ridges all over the place and wasted money.

Please post after you've done it. Thanks.

Here ya go!
    07-19-09 04:59 PM
    Meh.. Screw phantomskinz, I aint even gonna mess with anything water being involved on my tour.I'll just apply a screen protector and the oem blackberry silicone or just leave it bare
    07-19-09 05:03 PM
    How difficult was it to put on?
    Here you go...Youtube has everything!

07-19-09 05:04 PM

Here ya go!
    thanks.................
    07-19-09 05:06 PM
406 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD