Hey guys,

I got an email yesterday from Phantom Skinz about a new product they released called Chromatics. Looks to me like its a cheaper alternative to Colorware. Their website says that it is a colored metallic film that is installed without water. It even says that they will install the film for free if you want to ship them your phone. The pictures look pretty cool to me.

Has anyone tried this yet? Sounds like a pretty cheap alternative to colorware ($30 with 2 screen protectors?).

Here's a picture of a gold colored Tour from their site.

03-19-10 11:07 AM
    Hmmm....there's no doubt that Colorware is grossly overpriced, but this really doesn't seem like a good alternative. I could see the finished product coming out looking extremely cheap and cheesy.
    03-19-10 11:45 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/or...10/index4.html

Looks like someone got one of these a while back before they were out and posted some pictures on here. Looks pretty nice to me. But I have to agree, not quite as nice as colorware. But for $30 I'm gonna order one and try it myself
    03-19-10 12:15 PM
    I'm not a fan of that. I use phantomskinz all the time, but no way would I get the color ones. They look to cheap then, its like putting a color sticker over your phone. Cheap looking. But I know there good on protection, but very cheap looking when put on with colors
    03-19-10 12:27 PM

Looks like someone got one of these a while back before they were out and posted some pictures on here. Looks pretty nice to me. But I have to agree, not quite as nice as colorware. But for $30 I'm gonna order one and try it myself
    that looks pretty nice.. just ordered a silver one.
    03-19-10 03:16 PM

thats not a skinz..thats a whole new housing..prob ebay or truesupplier
    03-19-10 03:53 PM
    thats not a skinz..thats a whole new housing..prob ebay or truesupplier

I'm talking about this pic thats further down the page of the orange Tour. Its definitely a skin. He said he got it at the Phantom Skinz retail place in Arizona. He has a couple of pictures of it and he said he got it done before it was actually released.
    03-19-10 04:32 PM
    Got mine and finally got a chance to install it. The installation process was actually even easier than I thought it would be. Took me a total of about 20 minutes for all of the colored pieces. Sounds really easy compared to all the the complaining i've heard about people installing clear skins. Anyways, here's some pictures. I decided to go blue for mine.

No real complaints about the product. Really metallic in sunlight though. Maybe ill try to take some pictures of it outside later.
    04-06-10 05:16 PM
    This looks real nice. Can you send a link to where you got it, please. Also, do they have different colors?

Got mine and finally got a chance to install it. The installation process was actually even easier than I thought it would be. Took me a total of about 20 minutes for all of the colored pieces. Sounds really easy compared to all the the complaining i've heard about people installing clear skins. Anyways, here's some pictures. I decided to go blue for mine.

No real complaints about the product. Really metallic in sunlight though. Maybe ill try to take some pictures of it outside later.
    04-06-10 07:20 PM
    Uhhhh... Looks like its not on there anymore. They must have an error or something, but it was on there last week.

Here is a link to all of the other phones that they make the colored film for Chromatics. You can just go to their homepage and click on the header at the top that shows the colored phones. I just noticed that they also have a "matte-finish" product that looks pretty cool.

Maybe you can send them an email and ask them what happened to the Tour, or maybe I can. Or then again, maybe they'll fix it themselves lol.

As far as colors go. It looks like they offer 7 colors if you click on one of the other products. Gold, Blue, Silver, Red, Green, Orange, and Pink.
    04-07-10 04:58 PM
    they really need to bring back this for the tour, I really wanted to put a new housing on but cant spare to break my warranty since I have insurance so this would be a good alternative.
    04-07-10 05:07 PM
    I just got mine in Poppin Pink!! It looks so sweet! I will put it on tonight. I used a code and got 35% off with the code "matte35" no shipping either. Brought it down to $19.47!! Took about a week to get here! Here is the link that I have to phantom skinz Phantom Skinz - Chromatics
    I got 2 free screen protectors as well.
    04-07-10 06:34 PM
    Please post pictures of the Poppin Pink when you get it installed. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:55 PM
    Sure - no prob. I think. I haven't ever posted pics before. I have to take off my invisible shield to apply this. I did read on the chromatics that you can buff out minor scratches too-I think car wax does it. The site tells all about that. I haven't found a case that I love, and I like the invisible shield ok, so I hope this is a good idea. Free replacements too.
    04-07-10 08:07 PM
    Here is my Poppin Pink chromatic. I love the color, however, it doesn't look like the pictures on the website. I mean, it didn't match up as well along the edges. Gaps of black show on all sides and on the back. I can't say that this difficult to apply, as my husband put it on for me (had to take the invisible shield off and this is the 13th phone he has put a shield on - but they were all invisible shields). It took about 25 - 35 minutes. It seems to be on well enough, but we didn't stretch it as we applied it. Maybe we should have tried to do that to get it to match up better at the seams. I still love it, and will use it until it starts to peel off and then replace it. It is beautiful in the sunlight! Lifetime warranty-why not!
    ups925 likes this.
    04-08-10 03:56 PM
    Does anyone know if the Phantom Skinz voids the phone warranty?
    04-08-10 08:46 PM
    No.. Do not have to wet phone and def do not have to open it...

Does anyone know if the Phantom Skinz voids the phone warranty?
    04-08-10 09:08 PM
    seriously considering buying the red one but I dont know if Id be able to put it on myself
    04-09-10 03:00 PM
    Interesting.

This may be an alternative to getting colored housings, covers, etc from CNN.CN

Which color is orange, like the one before?
    04-09-10 05:49 PM
    Here is my Poppin Pink chromatic. I love the color, however, it doesn't look like the pictures on the website. I mean, it didn't match up as well along the edges. Gaps of black show on all sides and on the back. I can't say that this difficult to apply, as my husband put it on for me (had to take the invisible shield off and this is the 13th phone he has put a shield on - but they were all invisible shields). It took about 25 - 35 minutes. It seems to be on well enough, but we didn't stretch it as we applied it. Maybe we should have tried to do that to get it to match up better at the seams. I still love it, and will use it until it starts to peel off and then replace it. It is beautiful in the sunlight! Lifetime warranty-why not!
    McNibbler,

Heat is the secret weapon to lightly stretching Chromatics so that seams can get very close. We also definitely recommend that you use heat on all of the edges once it is applied so that it becomes bonded to your device.

Guru
    04-12-10 04:04 PM
    seriously considering buying the red one but I dont know if Id be able to put it on myself
    REDandBLACK,

We offer a Free Installation for Chromatics ONLY if you want to pay to ship your device to us. For any questions regrading this, please email one of our Customer Service Reps.

Guru
    04-12-10 04:10 PM
    Thank you for the tips. We (my husband) did use the blower dryer tip on the edges as was recommended. I do love the color-and well, it was a learning experience. Next time we will stretch it. I already asked if they would make a soft pink color. A girl has to have options!! It seems very durable and I am happy with it other than my install. Always a learning curve-and I don't see the application affecting the life of the product. I do get compliments, and tell them that this is our application of the skin-not a professional one. I will pass on the tips!
    04-12-10 09:07 PM
    just ordered mine in blue. can't wait thanks everyone for your reviews and posting this =)
    04-21-10 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD