I just bought my Tour from Best Buy. I've already got the VZW insurance, however, Best Buy said for $9.99 a month I could get their insurance and A) no deductible and B) guaranteed new phone and not a refurb.

Has anyone gone through them for insurance? Right now I'm on the $5.99 (as far as I know, I'll have to call to make sure), but for $4 more a month and no deduct, it seems pretty sweet.

I did the same thing. Much better deal than the VZW insurance in my opinion. Only issue is that it doesn't cover theft. I'm willing to risk theft for no deductible, no limits on number of claims and guaranteed new phone (not refurb) phone replacement.
    07-21-09 12:04 AM
    How do you prove that you simply lost your phone and it wasn't stolen? They just have to believe you?
    07-21-09 12:05 AM
    anyone use squaretrade?
    I don't think Squaretrade would work for the following reasons. Either the purchase has to be through eBay or a retail store. The Tour purchased through Verizon/Sprint was discounted because of the 1 or 2 year contract you signed. Squaretrade would not cut you a check for the retail price of the phone, or they would cut you a check for what you paid for the phone after all the discounts were applied.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 12:06 AM
    # Repair or Reimburse Based on what happened to your phone, we will let you know if it's suitable for replacement, repair, or reimbursement.

* For replacement, we will provide you with the same or an equivalent model phone.
    * For reimbursements, we will pay you the replacement cost of your phone, up to a maximum of $399. If accidental damage was the cause of the failure, we will subtract a $50 deductible from the payout.

They will pay up to $399 or $349 if it was accidental damage
    07-21-09 12:08 AM
    That's a huge increase! This is making the iphone with no insurance look better and better. Apple gives a replacement for $200 for water damage, and a screen replacement is also $200 or much less from other vendors. These are the two things I worry about. I've never lost a phone and don't expect to. No way I would pay that since I'm not accident prone.
    07-21-09 12:09 AM
    I just got off the phone with VZW. I called regarding insurance. Both lines on my account are still at the $5.99 insurance. The rep stated that they had in fact raised their prices. When I purchased my Tour last Sunday, they obviously asked if I wanted to keep my insurance and of course I said yes. The rep I just talked to said that people getting new insurance will be paying $7.99 which is identical to my $5.99 coverage.

In essence she claims I'm grandfathered in at the old price. Additionally, she said new insurance coverage will warrant an $89 deductible while I'm still covered with a $50 at the $5.99 price.

I told her I was just calling just to ensure I was covered since I had heard about the more expensive insurance. She ensured me I was, so *shrug*.
    Your insurance should've changed to the 7.99. Don't be surprised when you can't get a warranty replacement after a year.
    07-21-09 12:23 AM
    I was offered the 7.99 dollar a month insurance which covers water etc... who here got it?
    I was quoted $6.00.

Am I missing something?

I did take it BTW.
    07-21-09 12:26 AM
    Your insurance should've changed to the 7.99. Don't be surprised when you can't get a warranty replacement after a year.
    I confirmed with VZW it was only for new insurance and they grandfathered my account...kinda like how they don't charge you more for your minute plan when they change their rates. Same logic. Also had a manager confirm it in addition to my deductible still being $50. Don't be salty towards me that you got screwed.
    07-21-09 12:27 AM
    You'd be stupid not to.
    Totally agree. Now, did I have it before? Not consistently but, then I just had an EnV2, and a motorola. Look, it wasn't worth it then. At freakin' $500 Tour, uh yea it's worth every penny.
    07-21-09 12:27 AM
    Also, when I login at Verizon Lookup and put in my phone number I get:

Deductible Information
    Manufacturer RESEARCH IN MOTION (RIM)
    Model TOUR
    Deductible $50
    Monthly Premium $4.99*

What does the * mean you ask?

Note: all prices are effective as of
    05/17/2009. Former Alltel customers and
    Verizon Wireless customers enrolled in
    TEC or WPP prior to 05/17/2009 may
    have different pricing.

*If you have enrolled in the Total
    Equipment Coverage product, your
    monthly charge which appears on your
    wireless bill may be higher (Total
    Equipment Coverage enrollment includes
    Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty
    Protection Program).
    I have different pricing as I haven't changed/removed my TEC insurance since the first device I got with VZW. It ends up being 5.99 to include the Extended Warranty. Unless someone can show me any different on the actual insurance company's website otherwise, I would assume the VZW rep I spoke to was correct in saying that I was grandfathered into the old pricing.
    Last edited by lahnipm; 07-21-09 at 12:48 AM.
    07-21-09 12:46 AM
    Also, you can go to Verizon Deductible and do a search for Research In Motion -> Tour (9630) and it will pull up what everyone else already knows:

Deductible $89
    Monthly Premium $6.00*

Also with the *:

Note: all prices are effective as of
    05/17/2009. Former Alltel customers and
    Verizon Wireless customers enrolled in
    TEC or WPP prior to 05/17/2009 may
    have different pricing.

*If you have enrolled in the Total
    Equipment Coverage product, your
    monthly charge which appears on your
    wireless bill may be higher (Total
    Equipment Coverage enrollment includes
    Verizon Wireless' Extended Warranty
    Protection Program).
    So assuming you had TEC or WPP already on your line prior to 05/17/2009 I see no reason based on Asurion's website that you should have been bumped to the higher pricing.
    07-21-09 12:52 AM
    I'm getting the same thing. Thanks for the link!

Deductible Information
    Manufacturer RESEARCH IN MOTION (RIM)
    Model TOUR
    Deductible $50
    Monthly Premium $4.99*
    07-21-09 12:52 AM
    My State Farm agent's office is checking on this coverage for me. If everything is good with the regional underwriter, it will be $32 a year with no deductible.

I was wondering if you got an answer from State Farm yet. I called my State Farm agent and they told me that the insurance they offer for electronic devices does not cover cell phones of any kind. Just things like computers, cameras, televisions, etc. I was hoping maybe you got better info because the rep I talked to didn't seem too knowledgeable about that particular insurance and maybe she was incorrect. It would be much nicer to pay less than the $287 it is going to cost me a year for 3 phones with Verizon.
    07-21-09 02:27 PM
    Yeah I got the insurance....kinda pissed its gone up.....
    07-21-09 02:35 PM
    Never had to use insurance but I always added it to my plan.
    07-21-09 02:49 PM
    yeah mine is still $50 just did an INS claim maybe month ago and that's all i had to pay.
    07-21-09 03:02 PM
    Regarldess of what type of insurance you're talking about, there are always people who feel it is a waste and who would rather gamble. For example, there are many people in NY City who own their cars outright and who have only liability insurance and not comprehensive insurance. NY City is a placewhere is is probably unwise not to have comprehensive insurance but the human tendency of "it won't happen to me" takes over in many instances.

07-21-09 03:39 PM
    Am I the only one without insurance? I mean I hate paying all types of insurance so when I get a choice I always tell them to take a hike.

12 mo at $8 = approx $100, $100 for the deductible, so lets just say $200 total to replace phone. In a year I will be able to get a Tour for around $200 so I risk it.

let me knock on wood real quick...

Nope...I hear ya. Have never bought insurance, nor do I plan on. Can't fathom paying the $9 a month for it plus the deductable. I also buy my phones outright ratehr than on a contract...I guess the way I see it is that it is only $700. Not that I have that much money to throw around, but $700 really isn't that much if, in the off chance, my Tour happened to break.

Kind the same way with other electronics...PS3 insurance for $129 on a $400 item? HAHA I think not. If it happens to break, I'll either sell it on ebay as defective or toss it in the garbage. It's only $400 - not like its a car or a mortgage. $300 for insurance on a $1500 TV --- 1/5 of the price??? NAH

Just my two cents
    07-21-09 04:33 PM
    If I am not mistaken, doesn't the $8 per month include the $2 extended warranty coverage? In other words, if anything mechanical happens to your phone as long as you have it, Verizon will fix or replace it for free. This is good to have considering a lot of issues can start after having the phone for over a year (when the mfr warranty expires). I had this full coverage on my VX8700 and had to have it replaced three times. The most recent replacement was right before I got the Tour. They said I would be paying a total of $2 more than before -- for a total of $8 (ins and warranty).
    07-21-09 07:01 PM
    That's fine. We're all capable of doing math here. You are more than welcome to pay full retail if you do something to your phone before you're eligible for an upgrade.

So let's say you drop your phone into the sink 4mos into your contract.
    I paid:
    7.99*4=31.96+89= $120

You paid: $489

To make the deal even sweeter, I'm one of the ones they let stay on the 5.99 plan with a $50 deductible, so I pay: 5.99*4=23.96+50 = 79.96. What you have to ask yourself is, how long are you willing to go without your berry if it breaks before your 1yr contract? 1mo? 2mo? 3mo? Would you pay $489 so you wouldn't go 1 month without your berry? Or would you rather pay $176.89? Even after 2yrs, you're assuming you pay less IF nothing ever happens to your phone. Otherwise you're paying close to $400 more than the rest of us.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can post all the numbers you want, both sides of the argument can show them in their favor. It's the same deal as any other insurance. You pay hundreds of dollars every month, some people never have to make a claim, others have to make several and thank god it was there to cover their ***.

Why would you get insurance on anything with that mindset? It's not like insurance companies are paying out more than they are making.
    If anyone pays $489 for a tour they should be locked up. You think I won't be able to pick up a tour for under $200 easy on ebay? Especially when the storm 2 comes out?

Lets say I do drop it in the sink I'll just use my back up BB if I can't find a deal on ebay (which I highly doubt). I never pay for extended warranty. I can understand why it gives people peace of mind, but for me and my math it's not worth it.

Secondly, people were talking like it was slam dunk to get the insurance and I could totally understand if you got the grandfather rate. However the current rate is a joke.

That being said I really like the idea of going to your insurance company and getting it insured. poster above said $32 a year which would be worth it for me.

Oh and to answer your question Why would I get insurance on anything. Well if my house or car is damaged we talking about thousands possibly tens of thousands of dollars. If my tour breaks I'm out 150 bucks big whoop.
    07-21-09 07:30 PM
    Yes, $32 a year with NO DEDUCTIBLE on a claim through State Farm. It's called a personal articles policy, the item insured has to have a value of at least $400.

07-21-09 07:55 PM
    Do other insurance agencies offer personal article policies? I have my auto and homeowners insurance through Allstate - anyone have this?

This is an excellent idea if they offer it!!
    07-21-09 11:27 PM
    Do other insurance agencies offer personal article policies? I have my auto and homeowners insurance through Allstate - anyone have this?

This is an excellent idea if they offer it!!
    Ask your agent.

07-21-09 11:39 PM
    I never get the insurance. My local verizon store has replaced two of my phones for $50 each. The first one (treo 650) I told them that it was just acting odd (which it was) and that I wasn't happy with it. They said do you have insurance on the phone, I said no. The girl says the best she can do is give me another one for $50. I said done and was out of there in 20 minutes.

The second one (storm) I cracked the screen by leaning on it with my elbow accidentally. I told them exactly what happened. Same thing, do you have insurance? I said no. Best we can do for you is replace it for $50 and I was out of there in 20 minutes. This was yesterday.

Not sure what their policy is but if you're nice I've had good luck.
    09-10-09 02:47 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD