Yeah the 755p had solid hardware, good battery life and nice PIM functions.

Just the multimedia and browsing was more or less non-existent and app switching was very, very slow due to the cache problems. The other major issue was the random database corruption with the palm OS...
    11-16-09 08:08 PM
    Yeah the 755p had solid hardware, good battery life and nice PIM functions.

Just the multimedia and browsing was more or less non-existent and app switching was very, very slow due to the cache problems. The other major issue was the random database corruption with the palm OS...
    Agreed. Are you a fan of the 5-way navigation or do you like the trackball? What about the keypad on the Treo? Don't forget the battery pull down time. Treo was less than a minute - Tour - close to 10 minutes recovery time
    11-16-09 08:18 PM
    I prefer the trackball, it's faster and the BB os is pretty optimized for trackball + menu and back key. Not to mention holding the menu key for multitask switching is quite easy and fast.

Treo kinda "needed" a touchscreen, or you had to use shortcut keys, then touchscreen. Navigating purely with the 5 way could get a little slow.

Tour boot time kinda varies from person to person. Mine was about 4 minutes on OS5 with memory cleaner disabled. But at the same time, clearing the cache on Blazer could take up to a minute if it was full, or switching between apps could takes a long as 10-20s if you didn't clear out cache.

I'd take the long boot time over the app switching and cache issues.
    11-16-09 08:22 PM
    Almost forgot, PalmOS was pretty bad when it came to email clients as well...

The SMS was great (better than <OS5, of course OS5 is better now) on PalmOS though. Took BB a long time to catch up...
    11-16-09 08:25 PM
    Wow, thanks guys. I almost got it tonite. In fact I went to the sprint store to do it, but they said it would be a lot easier if I come back tomorrow since my new plan starts tomorrow. So, it gave me one more night to think about it. Reading the responses here assured me the tour is the way to go. For years I wanted a GSM phone for travel, but always got such good rates from sprint (loyalty discounts, work discounts, etc.). And now sprint has one, so I have to do it.

Normally when I travel, I take a US-CDMA treo, a GSM treo, and a camera. Now I will just have one device, that is thinner than all of them!

I did play with all three devices in the store, the pre, the curve, and the tour, even made some calls on them to evaluate call quality. I definitely think the tour is the way to go. I wasn't thrilled with the trackball (believe it or not I still do a lot with a stylus on the touchscreen of my treo from my old palm days), but I do think the trackball will be easier than the 5-way/touch/sylus combo I am using now once I get used to it.

I hope it comes with OS5 though, and I don't have to go through the upgrade myself.

What about cases? I always buy sena leather cases for my palm treos. They gave me these free gel skins, do you think that's good enough or is the tour fragile?
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 11-16-09 at 09:02 PM.
    11-16-09 08:50 PM
    If you don't want to upgrade the OS, might want to wait for the Tour2 or 8530....
    11-16-09 08:55 PM
    I can't wait, the upgrade is part of a deal I did to get my family new phones (one was lost and one was damaged), so I have to do it now.

I take it that means it will not come with OS5. Is it a pain to run the upgrade? Can I ask them to do it for me at the sprint store?
    11-16-09 09:06 PM
    OS5 isn't even officially announced for the Tour yet.
    11-16-09 10:15 PM
    Oh, I was confused cuz I saw downloads for OS5 at this site, but I guess they must be beta versions. But I am new to blackberry so not sure how all this works. Once it is officially released, are upgrades for BB straightforward, or best avoided if things are working OK?

Do you guys take out sprints TEP on the tour, or do you find warranty service and robustness for year 2 good enough to not need it?
    11-17-09 07:26 AM
    Oh, I was confused cuz I saw downloads for OS5 at this site, but I guess they must be beta versions. But I am new to blackberry so not sure how all this works. Once it is officially released, are upgrades for BB straightforward, or best avoided if things are working OK?

Do you guys take out sprints TEP on the tour, or do you find warranty service and robustness for year 2 good enough to not need it?
    The official updates are very easy to do. With my Windows Mobile phone I was always worried about bricking the device but not with the BlackBerry. Just backup your data with Desktop Manager and then upgrade the OS with Desktop Manager. You can also upgrade the OS over the air.

The leaked version of 5.0 is easy to install too. I haven't tried installing a hybrid but they look a little more intimidating. I tried OS 5.0 for a few days and liked it but decided to take it off and wait for the official version. Hopefully it comes out soon.

When you get your Tour it may still have OS 4.7.1.40 on it. There is an upgrade for 4.7.1.57 available. I'm not sure if there was anything major updated in that revision.

I do have TEP on my Sprint Tour. It's worth it to me. I've had to use it on both of the Windows Mobile phones I've had.
    11-17-09 08:07 AM
    OK, one more technical query. I want to get all my data from my Palm755p (contacts, calendar, memos, to do) loaded into outlook on both my and my husband's computers (he can personalize it later), and then onto each of our new tours.

I already figured out how to sync my palm with outlook, so now I have everything in outlook on my laptop. What files do I need to copy (I use windows XP) for my husband to get all my outlook info. I use outlook 2007 and he uses outlook 2003, will that be a problem (both on XP boxes)?

I did find a directory on my laptop called documentsandsettings/microsoft/outlook. Can I just copy this directory to my husband's documents and settings folder (he has never used his outlook) or is it a problem if he is using the older version of the program.
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 11-17-09 at 09:41 AM.
    11-17-09 09:17 AM
    I came from a treo 700wx and had it for 3 years. It was a great phone but outdated. I like my tour a lot more.
    11-17-09 12:51 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD